PDA

View Full Version : Which tripod head for large format photography

Dwarak Calayampundi
6-Aug-2013, 20:00
Hi

Just wanted to know what tripod heads people use for large format cameras. I own a chamonix 4x5 and will soon move to 8x10 as I only do contact printing I own only a ball hear and find it very hard to make adjustments. I know a three way pan head will solve my issues.

Just wanted to start the discussion on which brand is better I am looking for smooth controls and precision. What do you guys use.

Alan Gales
6-Aug-2013, 20:10
The Majestic heads are geared for precision.

I like the Ries double tilt heads myself but they are not geared.

Either style head you will want the corresponding tripod.

Leigh
6-Aug-2013, 20:51
Majestic tripods are excellent, rated to support 39 pounds (18 kg). The have geared forward/back rotation using a worm gear.

I have two of these, slightly different styles, both with 6"x9" (150x225mm) platforms. They work fine for my 8x10 Tachihara field camera.

- Leigh

Kimberly Anderson
6-Aug-2013, 20:56
Miller cine fluid head on bowl mount.

Kirk Fry
6-Aug-2013, 21:17
My Majestic tripod and head weighs 19 lb. Perfect for backpacking! Be perfect for holding up your tent. K

Leigh
6-Aug-2013, 21:27
Majestic tripods also work great for supporting your car if you need to change a flat or change the oil. :D

- Leigh

Peter De Smidt
6-Aug-2013, 21:37
I like the Gitzo Series 5 low profile pan/tilt head for use with 8x10 field cameras. They have a good-sized plate, are smooth to use, aren't super heavy, and can be found used for a reasonable amount.

ImSoNegative
6-Aug-2013, 21:38
I shoot 4x5 and I use the bogen 3021 with a 3047 pan tilt head, works great

Vaughn
6-Aug-2013, 21:52
Majestic tripods are excellent, rated to support 39 pounds (18 kg). The have geared forward/back rotation using a worm gear.

I have two of these, slightly different styles, both with 6"x9" (150x225mm) platforms. They work fine for my 8x10 Tachihara field camera.

- Leigh

They are nice -- but I found it better using the geared movement for side tilt rather than forward/back. YMMD

Tin Can
6-Aug-2013, 23:37
I use a Majestic head on a Bogen 3051 leg set, but I want a Berlebach 8043 Wood Tripod Legs with Levelling Center Column - Supports 17.6 lb (8.0 kg) Real nice, lightweight and actually cheap. High quality made in Germany.

Traditional and vibration free.

I believe in very sturdy tripods. I am converting a garage sale Cine Sachtler & Wolf wood leg set and Saltzman head to work together. Very HD with big leg spikes, that dig into the dirt, and a dolly for studio. Makes a Majestic look tiny.

Majestic's are very cheap used, but are reliable and will not drop a camera. The worm drive tilt is self locking and sideways is limited by built in stops to 15 degrees either side, so you won't have a big camera get away from you.

I find ballhead and 3 ways to be aggravating. I have never used a gear head, but in a camera store they seem slow to adjust.

I think it is also a big plus that Majestics are made in Chicago and cost under $300, new. Parts easily available and the 6x7 plate Leigh refers to is gentle on your camera.

I got my used, 4 Majestic tripods for well under $100.

I use the same Bogen leg set with 35mm and digital. I shoot out of my van or condo front door. No mountain climbing for me. Those days are long gone.

Dwarak Calayampundi
7-Aug-2013, 04:25
Thanks for all the replies guys I guess majestic is within budget looks really solid. I think I will get that.

pasiasty
7-Aug-2013, 08:02
If you don't want to tilt the camera much, you may use a tripod with levelling without any other head, Barlebach does nice wooden once. Thanks to shorter arm is more rigid than any head.

I managed to buy (for some $100) an old Foba C-40 tripod with a not-geared 2D head (looks exactly like their current model ASMIA http://www.foba.ch/eng/kopf/kopf.htm ), and it is very stable. When I'm bored with my life, I'll hang myself on it :) The problem might be to find another one for similar price, B&H sell them (heads only, tripods are obsolete) for... tadam, tadam... $1532.60.

Ari
7-Aug-2013, 08:21
I use a ball head for everything now, but I used to swear by the Manfrotto 229 head for very large and heavy cameras.

DrTang
7-Aug-2013, 08:35
I have a zillion tripods and have yet to find - THE ONE

I used a majestic with my 8x10

I use a old Cambo (Diawa probably) legs with a bogen 3047 head for 'studio' use for my 5x7 tech..or hercules quick-set (3 stage) with a bogen or linhof head for traveling 5x7

I also have a linhof, and a wood one w/o a nameplate for 4x5 use

and I always carry a linhof with a ball head in my trunk just in case

I also have a Bolex I converted to a leveling head that is pretty nice for a lighter 5x7 and 4x5

I have way too many tripods

Kimberly Anderson
7-Aug-2013, 09:04
I had a nice Berlebach with a self-leveling center column. I liked it, but felt it wasn't big enough for the 12x20. Hence, the Miller. For 8x10 a Berlebach would be just peachy.

Drew Wiley
7-Aug-2013, 10:09
Best kind of head for large format? None! A large platform atop a sturdy tripod like a Ries is as stable as it gets, and with a little practice, all you need. There's a
hecka a difference between stabilizing a 4x5 Chamonix and the typical 8x10. ... and unless it's the size and weight of a rhinoceros, a ballhead would be the worst
option I can think of.

Alan Gales
7-Aug-2013, 10:16
I use a ball head for everything now,

You must know a lot of curse words, Ari! ;)

Peter De Smidt
7-Aug-2013, 10:55
Ari's is a hybrid: It's a ball head where you can lock one axis independently of the other.

Alan Gales
7-Aug-2013, 11:49
Ari's is a hybrid: It's a ball head where you can lock one axis independently of the other.

Ok. That makes more sense. :)

Years ago when shooting 35mm I always wanted a ball head because I figured it would be easier and faster. I finally bought a used Gitzo ball head and tripod. The tripod was great but I hated the ball head and sold it. Ball heads are just not for me.

It's funny sometimes how you can want something so bad but when you finally get it you find out you were better off without it.

Vaughn
7-Aug-2013, 12:39
Ok. That makes more sense. :)

Years ago when shooting 35mm I always wanted a ball head because I figured it would be easier and faster. I finally bought a used Gitzo ball head and tripod. The tripod was great but I hated the ball head and sold it. Ball heads are just not for me...

I used the same set-up (in my case, a Gitzo Studex with a Ball #2) with a light weight 4x5, then 5x7, for ten years. Worked very well for me. The camera and pod were 'liberated' from me which is the reason I went to 8x10 and a Ries pod/head. I still use a ballhead (cheapie) on a small Gitzo for the Rolleiflex. I suppose I did not know better and just made it work for me.

Otto Seaman
7-Aug-2013, 13:04
Most of the tripods mentioned here are overkill for a light 4x5 - most people end up getting a dedicated tripod for 8x10 and a lighter version for 4x5.

I use a RRS ball head and legs for 4x5. It works very well if you read the instructions and use the ball head with enough drag to give yourself subtle control.

For 8x10, it depends on the camera design but the large, low-profile Gitzo 1504 3-way head with the large platform is great for flatbeds. The Ries, Sinar, and Linhof two-axis heads are also very nice and sturdy without being too heavy.

Tin Can
7-Aug-2013, 13:09
OP wants it for his new 8x10.

Ari
7-Aug-2013, 13:59
You must know a lot of curse words, Ari! ;)

Yes, but they all have to do with film scanning, or "New Country" music.

Peter, while that's true, I've found that using the right amount of friction is just as effective as having the tilt lock.

Robert Langham
7-Aug-2013, 14:34
I think I'm using a Gitzo #4 pan-tilt head. Nice for holding large format. I tried several ball heads and just couldn't make them go. It's heavy, but really pretty good. I use a little level from home depot. Carbon fiber legs. I carry it a good bit but rarely more than half mile.

99827 99828 99829

You don't want to over-kill it....but you do want to kill it.

Lenny Eiger
7-Aug-2013, 14:45
I carry my camera on the tripod over my shoulder while on a trail. One thing that's nice with the Gitzo head is that there are 2 screws. This keeps the camera from spinning off. The plate I had on my Canham only had one screw hole and I took it to a machine shop and got another one drilled. So much more stability. I love it.

I had a ball head for it, but I found it quite untenable, when dealing with a ground glass with lines on it, to line up things. I could never get the tension just right. It was much simpler for me to use the three-way head.

I love my Gitzo's...

Lenny

Alan Gales
7-Aug-2013, 14:46
Yes, but they all have to do with film scanning, or "New Country" music.

"What they call country music today is sort of like bad rock groups with a fiddle." (a recent Tom Petty Quote)

I think he summed it up pretty well! :D

Of course rock is dead also. :(

Alan Gales
7-Aug-2013, 14:51
I suppose I did not know better and just made it work for me.

Hey Vaughn, whatever works for you. My way is the right way for me but not everyone!

Of course, you all ready know that. :)

Michael Graves
8-Aug-2013, 05:04
I think I'm using a Gitzo #4 pan-tilt head. Nice for holding large format. I tried several ball heads and just couldn't make them go. It's heavy, but really pretty good. I use a little level from home depot. Carbon fiber legs. I carry it a good bit but rarely more than half mile.

99827 99828 99829

You don't want to over-kill it....but you do want to kill it.

Ditto...the Rationale 4 is an older model that holds up well to time and can frequently be had inexpensively. I am a big fan of ball heads for small cameras, but like the OP found that they were untenable for use with an 8x10. I dropped a #4 onto a 4042 Berlebach (I think I have the model number right) and a have a tripod that weighs under 10 pounds, including head, that will take my Toyo 810M to a height that requires me to stand on a step stool in order to focus. And I'm 6 foot 4. I turned it into a quick release by adding a Cambo QR adapter plate and putting a 3\8" plate on the bottom of the camera. It works great.

Drew Bedo
9-Aug-2013, 05:40
In 3x5 I put my zone VI on a CF Velbome light weight (dunno the model) mounted with a Velbon PH 263 magnesium alloy ballhead.

In 8X10 I mount my Kodak 2-D directly onto a Burlibach tripod with a leveling center colume. This provides ehough movement for most of what I do. This also reduces the carry-around weight of the kit by eliminating several pounds of tripod head.

Robert Opheim
9-Aug-2013, 09:56
I also use a Gitzo #5 flat profile 3-way head for 8x10. It is light fairly compact. I use it with my 4x5 Technikardan on series 3 Gitzo legs - which is over-kill. I use is with my Calumet C-2 Black Monster with series 4 legs. It supports the Black Monster quite well. Relative to other heads that have a large base plate it is fairly light. I found mine used in a shop for $75 dollars - they can be found reasonably priced.

ROL
9-Aug-2013, 10:32
I have a zillion tripods and have yet to find - THE ONE

And yet oddly, you are apparently an afficianado of a 60's era orange flavored drink favored by astronauts. Weird. (with or without vodka?) :confused:

Scott Davis
9-Aug-2013, 11:51
Yet ANOTHER vote for the Gitzo low-profile pan/tilt, assuming you're using a field camera. I have a 12xx Gitzo that goes on my Induro CF-314 legset and I use for all formats up to 5x12/8x10, and a 15xx that goes on my Gitzo 1425 aluminum legset without center column and supports 11x14 and 14x17 cameras.

Dwarak Calayampundi
9-Aug-2013, 16:03
Scott I am using a field camera the chamonix 045f1 I have a Gitzo ball head which is quiet horrible even with DSLR. I have been put off Gitzo head ever since. I am more inclined to get the majestic with geared movements. I do have Gitzo legs which I absolutely love.

Peter De Smidt
9-Aug-2013, 16:08
Gitzo ball heads aren't very good, but their pan/tilt heads are.

Lachlan 717
9-Aug-2013, 17:08

- Leigh

Leigh,

Was this sized plate a special order/bespoke item? I can't find any reference to that size; only 6x7".

Thanks!

Leigh
9-Aug-2013, 18:24
Was this sized plate a special order/bespoke item? I can't find any reference to that size; only 6x7".
Hi Lachlan,

They're probably 6x7. I was relying on memory (which is never right).
Neither tripod is here in the office where I can measure it.

Sorry for the error.

- Leigh

Tin Can
9-Aug-2013, 18:32
I just measured one, it is 5-7/8 x 7 inches.

Fits the undercarriage of a Calumet C1 like it was made for it.

http://www.bencher.com/photo/gearheads.php

Hi Lachlan,

They're probably 6x7. I was relying on memory (which is never right).
Neither tripod is here in the office where I can measure it.

Sorry for the error.

- Leigh

DennisD
9-Aug-2013, 19:19
I've been using an Induro CT414 carbon fiber tripod. It's noticeably heavier but sturdier than the lighter CF tripods some have mentioned. Capable of up to 5x7 IMHO. Manufacturer rated at 55 lbs which should also handle 8x10, but I'm on the conservative side.

I have a majestic tripod and worm gear driven head, rock solid for 8x10, but require a camel to haul it around.

I Never use a ball head for Large format cameras of any size. The ball movement is simply too awkward and can be rather loosey goosey. Further, potentially dangerous for the equipment.

I do , however, use a ball head (RRStuff 55) for medium format and DSLR. That particular head has a reasonably good tension adjustment to keep the ball from slipping. But, again, never for LF (not even 4x5) even though it could theoretically handle a large camera with ease.

Peter De Smidt
9-Aug-2013, 19:29
A friend of mine uses a RRSTuff 55 with his Wisner 8x10. It is not a good fit. Even with a large Arca bar the camera base flexes quite a bit.

pdmoylan
9-Aug-2013, 19:49
I am a big fan of the Gitzo G1570M pan head for LF (4x5 monorail 8 lbs). Prior to that I used 4b Rationale with its longer handle was a pain to use in the field. I dare say the 1570 should readily handle a field 8x10 without issue.

Robert Opheim
10-Aug-2013, 12:40
I have had my series 5 3-way head for quite a long time. I think it is the earlier version of the G1570M. I did have a machinist cut the longer handle down to 4 inches or so because I was working with wide angles on 4x5 with it. That handle was always in the way. I have had no problems with using the shorter handle and my C-2 Calumet 8x10 - monster - my shortest 8x10 coverage lens a 160mm.

Robert Opheim
10-Aug-2013, 12:42
I have had my series 5 3-way head for quite a long time. I think it is the earlier version of the G1570M. I did have a machinist cut the longer handle down to 4 inches or so because I was working with wide angles on 4x5 with it. That handle was always in the way. I have had no problems with using the shorter handle and my C-2 Calumet 8x10 - monster - my shortest 8x10 coverage lens a 160mm. I do have a Gitzo ball head - it has been harder to use for my 4x5 - as well as medium format cameras

John Kasaian
13-Aug-2013, 10:31
Ries.

Jerry Bodine
13-Aug-2013, 13:07
Robert,
That long handle on my vintage '70s Ser. 5 3-way head bugged me too, so I decided to make my own shorter one. The process cost me about $25 in misc parts from Lowe's and Tacoma Screw, from which I cut-to-length what I needed and stowed the leftovers in my scrap pile for future use on various little projects. No pics of the finished handle, but for anyone interested in this just PM me for the how-to. It has worked well with my Sinar Norma 8x10.

Robert Opheim
13-Aug-2013, 14:20
Jerry Glaziers gave me a number for a guy that had a rather complete metal shop in his garage on Queen Anne - (I think) He cut and tapped the threads in one afternoon between other projects. I don't think it was that much either! I do like the shorter handle very much! You solution sounds like a very good fix.

bracan
18-Aug-2013, 05:01
I use Manfrotto #268 super ball head for 8x10. No worries for weight;)

paulr
18-Aug-2013, 13:12
I use a bogen/manfroto 247 for everything from 4x5 to dslr. One on a zone vi wood tripod, one on a smaller aluminum manfrotto. The hex plates are permanently bolted to the cameras. These heads are solid and work well, with the caveat that you have to double check that the hex plate engages properly. It's possible for them snap halfway in, which is bad.

Someday I may look for a more precise head. Probably not geared, because I don't need the added weight. But a very smooth 3-way. And one that takes Arca-swiss plates, which seem like they're probably the best QR system. I don't know which head best fits that description.

AtlantaTerry
18-Aug-2013, 17:26
A couple months ago I watched a documentary film on Ansel Adams. He was using large format cameras with flat bases, not the more modern monorail types we now use. His tripod had a geared head. (Sorry don't remember more.)

I have been using a Gitzo/Manfrotto "joystick" style ball head for my Crown Graphic with no issues. The tripod is my ancient Gitzo set of legs.

Now that I have a fairly heavy Rodenstock 300mm f5.6 lens hanging off the front of my 4x5 Cambo, I'm going to test it with my Manfrotto video tripod which has a 75mm bowl for precise alignment. Yes, the Manfrotto legs and fluid head are heavy but I'm not a back packer, I shoot on locations that I drive to. More on the test in a couple days...

Otto Seaman
18-Aug-2013, 18:11
Ansel was kind of promiscuous with his gear ;-p I have seen photos of him from the 70s using a Husky QuickSet and an early 4x5 Arca-Swiss (the kind with the plastic parts). That was nice enough gear but hardly top of line. It was balanced in the sense of being the right-sized tripod for the camera but many of us would sneer at it ~ you could pick it up for a few hundred bucks on eBay (not the Holy Ansel's but some duffer's).

When you think about it, he and the other greats used gear most of us would consider pretty shabby, not robust enough for our demanding standards ;-)

David A. Goldfarb
19-Aug-2013, 05:08
For large cameras, I've owned a Majestic, Gitzo Low-Profile Pan-Tilt G1570M, and various others, but I've settled on the Arca-Swiss B2, which looks like a ball head and has the strength/weight ratio of a ball head, but is really a pan-tilt head with two concentric balls and three independently adjustable axes, very smooth panning if you ever want to use it for video, and more solid than even the Majestic or the Gitzo. The balls are slightly eccentric, so that as the tilt angle increases, the strength also increases, and the camera doesn't flop (presuming you've set the tension).

Downsides: Expensive and might not be available new. They've been talking about a Z2 replacement for ages, but I've never seen one. Weight is 1642 g. If you get an old one with the large clamp knob, and you want it use it with a flatbed camera, you can get a smaller clamp knob from RRS.

I use it on a Gitzo GT5540LS leg set.

Drew Wiley
19-Aug-2013, 09:04
Of course it gets better than a Ries tripod head, namely, a Ries tripod with no redundant head on it at all! ... at least for 8x10 flatbed purposes.

Daniel Stone
19-Aug-2013, 15:55
Best kind of head for large format? None! A large platform atop a sturdy tripod like a Ries is as stable as it gets, and with a little practice, all you need. There's a
hecka a difference between stabilizing a 4x5 Chamonix and the typical 8x10. ... and unless it's the size and weight of a rhinoceros, a ballhead would be the worst
option I can think of.

I agree with Drew 100%, a Ries A-series tripod is probably the best option. Stupidly, I sold mine, but will eventually get another one, maybe.

For now, my Gitzo carbon fiber tripod and #5 low-profile head does a VERY satisfactory job of supporting my 5x7 Deardorff, as well as my GX680 system(medium format, but still big)

If you're not venturing far from the car, then a heavier option like the Majestic can work well. But if you like a lighter-on-your-back option, carbon fiber really has some terrific benefits.

-Dan

DannL
19-Aug-2013, 17:14

I use this platform with three tripods and four view-cameras, 4x5, half plate, 5x7 and 8x10. Since all my cameras are 100 plus years old, it's a perfect fit.

Michael Kadillak
21-Aug-2013, 07:31
Ries A250 tripod head. For an 8x10 it doesn't get any better.

http://www.riestripod.com/products/heads

I have the Ries A250 and yes it is a very stable head but IMHO overkill for 8x10 as it has a 6" x6" base and is 4.75#. If you are shooting out of the truck it is no biggie but I would not want to carry it very far. My A250 Mine is relegated to support my 30# Deardorff V11 on top of the A100 Ries tripod.

For 8x10 the Manfrotto 475 tripod with the 229 Super Pro head I found works great and I thank Sandy King for showing my this combo in the field. Extra support member to each leg, a rising center column if you need it, two leveling bubbles and a quick release plate that saves me time and effort. Until recently I have been frustrated with ball heads and grew comfortable with the ability to isolate each of the three head directions.

Dwarak Calayampundi
26-Aug-2013, 22:18
Just found out from B&H that they have discontinued selling the majestic 1001 model meant for large format cameras and returned my payment. I had a look at the ries heads and ordered the j series head and planning to get the wooden legs as well should be lighter than my Gitzo.

Tin Can
26-Aug-2013, 23:40
I hate putting a nice flat bed on a modern head. I am working on getting a setup like this. I have the platform and doing a long distance trade for the tripod.

I hope I saved the tripod from being a lamp in the trade...

I don't like scratching old clean cameras.

I use this platform with three tripods and four view-cameras, 4x5, half plate, 5x7 and 8x10. Since all my cameras are 100 plus years old, it's a perfect fit.

AtlantaTerry
27-Aug-2013, 03:11
Now that I have a fairly heavy Rodenstock 300mm f5.6 lens hanging off the front of my 4x5 Cambo, I'm going to test it with my Manfrotto video tripod which has a 75mm bowl for precise alignment. Yes, the Manfrotto legs and fluid head are heavy but I'm not a back packer, I shoot on locations that I drive to. More on the test in a couple days...

OK, I used the Manfrotto video tripod with fluid head in the park for some portraits. With the Cambo and 300mm Rodenstock atop the tripod it all was a very sturdy and stable package. The nice thing about the 75mm bowl was that it allowed for quick adjustment of the monorail to horizontal. For sure, I will be using this setup again.

jnantz
27-Aug-2013, 05:02
for a clamshell / press 4x5 camera + graflex slr, a tiltal ( black, new 75$ ) is what i use
i also use it sometimes with a toyo bellows camera ... bigger than 4x5 i use a berl..bach and 3047 ( i think ) head.
there is nothing funnier to see than someone using a gigantic tripod with a small camera ..
like a large tripods with cellphone on it ...

ridax
27-Aug-2013, 06:08
I own a chamonix 4x5 and will soon move to 8x1

Which 8x10"? Or, to put it more to the point, what lenses are to be on that 8x10"?

A lightweight wooden field 8x10 is far from being the same as the Kardan Color 8x10, and those need very different tripods. And an 8x10" with a 210mm wideangle needs a very precisely adjustable head though the head needn't be the most durable in the word, and an 800mm Celor doesn't call for that much precision in the head but that head really has to be rock-solid.

I want a Berlebach 8043 Wood Tripod Legs with Levelling Center Column - Supports 17.6 lb (8.0 kg) Real nice, lightweight and actually cheap. High quality made in Germany. Traditional and vibration free.

I had a nice Berlebach with a self-leveling center column. I liked it, but felt it wasn't big enough for the 12x20. Hence, the Miller. For 8x10 a Berlebach would be just peachy.

a Ries A-series tripod is probably the best option.

I own three Berlebachs of the bigger UNI series. I use the ones with self-leveling center columns for MF. I find the simpler one without center column suitable but definitely not the best for my Calumet C-1 (though I think it is still better then the Ries Model A (happily sold at last!!!)). I've considered the Berlebach Report series and found those to be terribly flimsy, even for small cameras. And the best combo I could find for my C-1 with 500mm to 800mm lenses is an old wooden cine tripod (noname but looks like Miller and O'Connor and all the other similar stuff of the same vintage) with the old version Ries A Photoplane (one-way tilting via a pretty solid rod).

Drew Bedo
27-Aug-2013, 06:27
I too use a Berlebach (don't remember the model) with leveling center post with my Kodak 2-D. No ballhead , just screw it straight onto the center post. Gives me enough movement for the work I do, holds the camera securely and saves the weight of a 8x10 class head.

Often times, less is more.

Alan Gales
27-Aug-2013, 19:22
I too use a Berlebach (don't remember the model) with leveling center post with my Kodak 2-D. No ballhead , just screw it straight onto the center post. Gives me enough movement for the work I do, holds the camera securely and saves the weight of a 8x10 class head.

Often times, less is more.

I used to use a Berlebach without head with my Tachihara 4x5 and it worked great. The Berlebach leveling balls are really nice.

I now use Ries but that is a personal preference. Both companies make fine tripods.

Dave Langendonk
4-Sep-2013, 14:21
Gitzo 1270 magnesium low profile on Gitzo 3531 CF legs for 4x5. Gitzo 1370 magnesium head on 5540 CF legs for 8x10. Great combination of stability and light weight.

angusparker
4-Sep-2013, 18:41
Consider the Arca Swiss D4 - it's really a joy to use. I agree its overkill for a 4x5 Chamonix but great for 8x10.

biedron
7-Sep-2013, 09:14
Consider the Arca Swiss D4 - it's really a joy to use. I agree its overkill for a 4x5 Chamonix but great for 8x10.

Since you have a D4 and use it for 8x10, I have a couple of questions: how well do the pan axes (and the D4 has two) lock down? That's probably my biggest issue with my B1 - I have to really crank down on the pan lock to get it to stay in place when I load film holders. Also regarding the lower pan knob, does it work with a larger tripod like a Gitzo 5 series? It looks like there might be some clearance issues on a large-diameter tripod top.

Thanks

Bob

paulr
7-Sep-2013, 09:32
I got a recommendation for induro pan/tilt heads. They look solid, have two panning axes, and take arca-swiss plates.
This (http://www.indurogear.com/products/induro-phq-series-panheads-phq1.aspx) is the lighter of the two. Holds up to 23lbs.

angusparker
7-Sep-2013, 10:33
Since you have a D4 and use it for 8x10, I have a couple of questions: how well do the pan axes (and the D4 has two) lock down? That's probably my biggest issue with my B1 - I have to really crank down on the pan lock to get it to stay in place when I load film holders. Also regarding the lower pan knob, does it work with a larger tripod like a Gitzo 5 series? It looks like there might be some clearance issues on a large-diameter tripod top.

Thanks

Bob

Dear Bob:
I actually don't use it on an 8x10 (don't own one) but with 4x5 and 6x17 view cameras and a Noblex 150 and 175 pano cameras. While I use a very small ball (RSS BH25) for the Chamonix 4x5 when hiking, the D4 makes leveling the 4x5 and especially the 6x17 very easy. Getting a level shot is even more important with 6x17 panos than 4x5 since the non-level horizon can really screw up perspective.

In this review http://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2011/06/the-arca-d4-a-new-standard-for-geared-heads/ I found these sentences:

"I haven’t found a maximum weight specification but I might consider carefully whether I would put a 10×8 or larger camera on this head or indeed anything bigger that a d3x/70-200mm combination."

and

"Lock nut placement on the base of the head isn’t good when the tripod base is larger than the head base. Its fiddly even with my small fingers. The head fits perfectly on a Manfrotto 055 but looks tiny on my Gitzo systematic 5 series. The base is about 5.5cm in diameter. I don’t have a Gitzo 35XX to hand but suspect the head would be about perfect on these legs."

Don't know about a Gitzo but I'm using a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 which works pretty nicely and probably has a similar head plate. As for locking the pan/tilt - it can either be used in free tilt mode and locked or self-locking - which is what I do - this allows you to tilt and pan and just leave it where you want without any more adjustments. The mini pano head that comes with the D4 is really not great for taking digital panos / stitching because it's not got any gear / clicks and has no scale in degrees just marks like "I I I I' etc. The one other think is the flip lock version of the release plate is really confusing to use at first (http://www.arca-shop.de/en/3d-Tilt/d4/ARCA-SWISS-d4-geared-quick-set-device-Flip-lock) there is a ribbed screw on the outside of the flip lock that needs to be pulled to one side to fully open the lock. It took me an hour to figure it out - rest assured nothing is going to get out of it's grasp! In fact it came a bit tight and I needed to loosen it a bit using a screw in the middle of the release so that my standard non-Arca Swiss but Arca Swiss style plates from RSS would fit.

All in all, I would say try someone else's out first before buying (it's pricey) for an 8x10 - if it's a lighter 8x10 it would probably work but I would want to make sure there was a good return policy and it works on your tripod. If it did I doubt there is a better option with built in pan / tilt that is so precise and light weight.

Best, Angus

biedron
7-Sep-2013, 20:02
Angus,

Thanks for the info.

Bob

ki6mf
6-Oct-2013, 06:20
Normally a 3 axis head is preferred over a ball head.

Jim Jones
6-Oct-2013, 07:24
For the past 44 years my favorite is the three-way head on a Tiltall: inexpensive, reliable, and comes with a set of decent legs. If it was good enough for Ansel Adams, it is overkill for me.

jeroldharter
6-Oct-2013, 08:17
I use Feisol CF legs with a Gitzo 1570 pan tilt head with a Wehman 8x10 camera and lenses as long as 600 mm. The movements on the head could be smoother but it is solid. The Ries is probably better but weighs as much as my tripod. I avoid ball heads because of flop and the inability to adjust axes independently from one another.

The Arca D4 looks great for 4x5 (? cost) but I would want to test it before trying with 8x10. I have an Arca ball head that on paper could easily manage 8x10, but in practice it is not solid. It feels like I am balancing a ship on a pinhead. If I lock it down tightly enough I guess it technically "works" but it is not stable.

Also, I don't like quick release plates with 8x10 flat beds. Not a big deal with 4x5, but the flat bed of an 8x10 is huge and the quick release plate gets lost down there. I tried one of the really long ones but that was only minor improvement. I find it much easier to attach the camera with a conventional screw and it holds the camera more securely on the big tripod head platform.

I tried using just the tripod without a head and also tried the tripod plus a leveling base. My goal was a minimalist lightweight setup. The main problem with that is attaching the camera. You must swing a big camera in a circle through multiple rotations. (Is there a more clever way?) I gave that up quickly.

For choosing 8x10 tripod heads, there are 3 axes, just like the heads themselves: weight, stability/ergonomics, and cost. It is difficult to get all three in alignment but I find the Gitzo 1570 line the best combination.

Drew Bedo
7-Oct-2013, 14:17
I have a 4x5 Zone VI (single extension) and hold it up with a Velbon CF tripod and a smalish Slik magnesium alloy ball head. Works for me and I can carry it around.

The 8x10 Kodak 2D goes directly onto a Burlibach wood tripod with a leveling center post. Don't use a ball head or pan head with this rig for simplicity and weight. The center post rotates when unclamped for attaching the camera. The 2D has a sliding tripod block to keep it balanced.

These rigs work pretty well for me.