PDA

View Full Version : 8 Foot Print from 617 Film Scan

gregmo
28-Jul-2013, 14:23
Hi All,

After reading on the forum for a while, this is my first post. I started photography a little over 4 years ago and began shooting film a bit over 1 year ago. With my move in to large format exactly 1 year ago.

I recently did a corporate installation with 4 images. The company selected one of my film images for their largest piece. It was an image from the Vietnam Veterans Memorial shot with my 617 pano camera on Velvia 100f. Taken in February about 15min before sunrise with a SK 90mm F8 Super Angulon lens at F22 and 90 seconds of exposure.

Lenny Eiger did the scan for me at 8000 dpi (I use Lenny for all of my LF scans & found thru this forum). The output size was chosen by the company's interior designer & dictated by the frame size limitations at an 8 foot max. It was printed at 96 inches x 38.4 inches with a 2 inch border all around.

I included 2 installation shots, tighter shots from around the image & a copy of the original image.

Thanks for looking.
Greg

Tin Can
28-Jul-2013, 14:44
Nicely done!

Hi All,

After reading on the forum for a while, this is my first post. I started photography a little over 4 years ago and began shooting film a bit over 1 year ago. With my move in to large format exactly 1 year ago.

I recently did a corporate installation with 4 images. The company selected one of my film images for their largest piece. It was an image from the Vietnam Veterans Memorial shot with my 617 pano camera on Velvia 100f. Taken in February about 15min before sunrise with a SK 90mm F8 Super Angulon lens at F22 and 90 seconds of exposure.

Lenny Eiger did the scan for me at 8000 dpi (I use Lenny for all of my LF scans & found thru this forum). The output size was chosen by the company's interior designer & dictated by the frame size limitations at an 8 foot max. It was printed at 96 inches x 38.4 inches with a 2 inch border all around.

I included 2 installation shots, tighter shots from around the image & a copy of the original image.

Thanks for looking.
Greg

Kirk Gittings
28-Jul-2013, 15:23
Veerrry nice image. And...FWIW I agree with what you did...when you want the best have Lenny do the scan!

gregmo
29-Jul-2013, 07:58
Randy & Kirk, Thank you both for the replies.

Lenny Eiger
29-Jul-2013, 10:31
I will add that when I had this image up at 100%, giving it a once over and some spotting, I was really moved. I got to read a lot of names. They were up against a sunrise and the monument itself seemed to come out and speak. I read in your post that you've only been photographing a relatively short while. But you have something very special. I'm glad you are getting an opportunity to share it.

Lenny

Kirk Gittings
29-Jul-2013, 13:33
I have a couple of friends and one high school teacher on that list. It means a lot to me.

Tin Can
29-Jul-2013, 14:29
Yes, many of us do. My cousin is there.

Many of our age group are still walking wounded.

I was lucky I was not there, my number did come up.

I have a couple of friends and one high school teacher on that list. It means a lot to me.

gregmo
29-Jul-2013, 18:00
I will add that when I had this image up at 100%, giving it a once over and some spotting, I was really moved. I got to read a lot of names. They were up against a sunrise and the monument itself seemed to come out and speak. I read in your post that you've only been photographing a relatively short while. But you have something very special. I'm glad you are getting an opportunity to share it.

Lenny

Lenny, thanks for the kind words.. I really appreciate them.

The Wall is very impressive and I would recommend to anyone the chance to visit it in person.

SpeedGraphicMan
30-Jul-2013, 15:39
Congratulations, there is nothing quite like a really BIG print!