PDA

View Full Version : How do you juggle all the accessories while shooting LF?

jackbaty
28-Jul-2013, 04:59
I'm new to large format (4x5). I recently purchased a nice old Crown Graphic and have exposed maybe 25 negatives so far, mostly environmental portraits. Of all the things I'm finding challenging (and there are many!) the one I'm struggling with most is also one that seems the most silly; how to manage all the "stuff" involved. I've got a bag that fits the folded camera, 4 film holders, etc, but once I start shooting I seem to need everything at once.

I'm wrestling with an old shirt in the wind as a focusing cloth while using the loupe to view the ground glass and trying not to drop the loupe when I discover I left the film holders in the bag so I stuff the loupe uncomfortably into my pocket, wipe the sweat from my eye and almost choke myself when the strap from my meter catches the tripod as I reach for the holders and now the t-shirt has blown away and so on.

I should probably just slow down and perhaps I'll develop a better system. Maybe I'm just hoping to hear that it's not just me. Anyway, I'd love to hear how others manage things.

David A. Goldfarb
28-Jul-2013, 05:33
I usually use a traditional darkcloth and keep it folded approximately in half over my shoulders, so I can just flip it over my head when I need to look at the groundglass.

Lightmeter goes in a pocket or on a lanyard around my neck, depending on which meter I'm using.

Loupe usually on a lanyard as well.

Filmholders are in the case to avoid light leaks until they are needed. Filters are also in the case usually.

I usually have a spirit level and cable release in a very accessible pocket at the front of my bag.

Pocket size notebook and pen usually go in a shirt or jacket pocket when I'm shooting actively, or in the bag when I don't have so many notes to make.

TXFZ1
28-Jul-2013, 05:48
My cargo shorts has many pockets as I do not like to string things around my neck. I use the BTZS darkcloth which fits around the rear standard and I drape it over the rear standard when the film holder is in place. Organize your bag and then practice setting up and breaking down. Everything has it's place.

I like your story as we have all gone through the same lesson. It also makes the story of Ansel Adams only having a few minutes to photograph Moonrise over Hernandez interesting.

David

Otto Seaman
28-Jul-2013, 06:10
I'll carry the camera and tripod over my shoulder and then as small a shoulder bag or daypack as possible for holders and bits. The Crown has a focusing shade so I try to only use that, and a longer focusing loupe makes it easy to check focus without removing the shade (try a Toyo, Horseman, Wista, or eBay/Chinese longer focusing loupe). Use a short cable release that you can leave on the lens even when you fold the camera. Try looping or hanging your pack or bag over the tripod. I have wrist straps on my meter and loupe so I will simply hang them off tripod knobs while setting up. An inverted t-shirt works well as a dark cloth and can make you look dashing ;-p

Yes the old Patagonia Stand-Up shorts with the giant rear pockets (that were the entire seat of the shorts) could swallow film holders as long as you never sat on them!

jackbaty
28-Jul-2013, 06:49
Thanks all for sharing. It helps to hear how others do things and you've given me some ideas. Fun, isn't it!?

Bruce Barlow
28-Jul-2013, 07:17
I use a canvas carpenter's apron. A small digi-cam bag tied to the left string holds stuff like loupes, tools, a level, a small tape measure, etc. A small bag on the right string holds the light meter, with its lanyard tied on, too, at just a length so that if I drop it, it doesn't hit the ground.

Left hand main pocket holds up to 6 4x5 holders, unexposed. As I use them, holders are transferred to the right side, so I don't make a mistake.

It will also hold, I think, 3 5x7 holders.

If I take the holders out, I can keep it on while driving.

We made an upscale version of this at Zone VI, which can still be found on eBay from time-to-time, but I think I gave my prototype away, because I didn't like it as much as the basic version.

A buck at Home Depot. I covet, maybe, the more expensive, nicer ones I see servers using in restaurants, but have yet to splurge, probably out of the past experience with the Zone VI version. This one has become an old friend.

Leigh
28-Jul-2013, 07:23
I always attach the darkcloth to the camera, using a pair of clothes pins.
When not in use it's folded up on the camera, overhanging the camera back.

Most of the other stuff fits into a photo vest, which has about 100 pockets. :D (actually more like 20 pockets)
The loupe and the exposure meter are attached to the vest using lanyards so they can't fall.
Mine is by ProMaster, similar to this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/196105-REG/Humvee_by_CampCo_HMV_VS_K_XL_Safari_Photo_Vest_X_Large.html

I think a vest of this type is essential, unless you're shooting a really minimalist kit.
The larger pockets will hold lenses, while smaller ones hold filters and accessories.

- Leigh

ROL
28-Jul-2013, 08:20
Thanks all for sharing. It helps to hear how others do things and you've given me some ideas. Fun, isn't it!?

Oh boy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAwIWZ9H3ZU

Otto Seaman
28-Jul-2013, 08:27
Oh boy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAwIWZ9H3ZU

Common sense, use a t-shirt in warm weather, jacket in cool.... The way he does it, it looks 10x better than any proprietary darkcloth.

Denise Dognini
28-Jul-2013, 09:57
I use the "divide to conquer" philosophy: I usually carry 3 small bags, instead of a large one. The backpack carries my Linhof with 3 lenses; in a waistbag I carry all the stuff, like filters, cables, loupe, meter; chassis go in a small bag, with a shoulder strap.
When I want to use my 8x10 2D, I just have to take the other backpack with the camera and its lens, and chassis: the waistback "serves" both.

On the right, bag with 12 holders. In the middle, waistbag with all the stuff. It's a kind of trecking waistbag.

Jim Noel
28-Jul-2013, 10:12
I dislike "Photographers Vests" as there are too many pockets in which to lose items. My meters and loupe are around my neck, holder in the bag with filters in the pocket of that bag, a tightly woven black T-shirt serves very well as a dark cloth up to 5x7. For the 9x10 I replace the T-shirt with a commercial product derived from a T-shirt. For the 7x17 I use a 5x7 foot dark cloth. All of m cameras have integral levels. If they weren't original equipment, I added them.

Jac@stafford.net
28-Jul-2013, 10:23
A sling-bag for the tripod legs might be helpful.
It folds in with the legs.

I use ones like this: http://www.digoliardi.net/skc1.jpg

ROL
28-Jul-2013, 10:27
The real question is how do you carry your giraffe? (...we still having fun?)

http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/SupportPics/Kit/CameraPack.jpg

lenser
28-Jul-2013, 10:31
Jack, My biggest question to you is if you are staying within a reasonable hike from your starting point, or if you are on a several mile (and days) trek into the back country. If a long distance then maybe a packpack would be the answer, but for even fairly long hikes, I would suggest you look for a Zone VI bag....the kind shown here with the white Cordura rather than the naugahide version.

First of all to apply this to the question I just posed, this bag has very stout attachment rings on the back, so it can be mounted on a tradition back pack frame so that it can easily be used far afield in a more comfortable carry rather than just on the shoulder.

More importantly, it is the most organized design for a field camera to actually be used in the field, that I've ever come across. The center bay is for the camera body and you can adjust the dividers to create six outer bays for holders, lenses, filters, loupe, meter, lens pen and notebook while the lid has a mesh pocket for the dark cloth.

The image I attached is from a late 1990's Calumet catalog, but expect to pay this much or more for a used one in really fine shape....and be happy to pay it. The bag is just that good. These often come up on the big auction site. The middle image, is of my personal bag ready for an excursion.

Ditto vote on the cargo pants and the hunting vest to add even more levels of organization if you need it.

Also, a ski band or sweat band around my forehead is a must for keeping the rivers of sweat out of my eyes. You can find the ski bands at lots of outdoor gear shops, and likely the sweatbands at a fishing store or a gardening shop. I've had mine for years and don't remember where I found it.

For short walks from the car, I bought a wonderful multi pocket carpenter's belt at Lowes or Home Depot a couple of years ago. It is extreme heavy duty construction and will hold a loupe, meter, several film holders and filters plus one extra lens with ease. They had extra pockets that could be added for a big bottle of water and some snacks. When using this on short hops, I usually just tuck the dark cloth into the waistband, throw the camera and tripod over my shoulder and off I go.

jackbaty
28-Jul-2013, 10:58
I really like the carpenter belt idea. I'm (so far) not trekking far from my car, so that seems handy enough. Thanks! I'd even have room for ROL's giraffe.

lenser
28-Jul-2013, 11:01
I remember being very surprised at the price on the belt. It was well under $20.00 at that time. I don't remember the price on the extra pockets, but the way it is in the photo is exactly how it came for that price.

jp
28-Jul-2013, 16:11
I've got these LL bean cargo shorts that have big back pockets, big enough to hold multiple film holders (in their anti-static bags). I keep a couple film holders on one cheek, and water bottle on the other. Light meter around the neck. No loupe. button up shirt for a dark cloth (I still have a t-shirt, which spares the world and subjects from my less than perfect torso). Speed graphic on a tiltall.

ROL
28-Jul-2013, 17:18
I've got these LL bean cargo shorts that have big back pockets, big enough to hold multiple film holders (in their anti-static bags).

...and never sit down?

I might mistake the man with 8x10 or larger holders for a grizzly. Then again, my static ass prolly wouldn't work.

jp
28-Jul-2013, 17:46
There's rarely a place to sit where I go photographing. If I did need to sit, I'd just have to unload the pockets, which is sort of like when they unload 16 clowns from a VW at the circus.

welly
28-Jul-2013, 18:59
I don't try to tackle everything at once. I set up my camera and whatever I need for that process I have to hand. Then I compose and focus and whatever I need for that (loupe, dark cloth) I have and nothing else. Then that all goes away and I put my film holder in the camera and I meter the scene. So now I've only got my light meter in my hand and easy access to any filters. One thing at a time and it becomes an easy process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Ari
28-Jul-2013, 19:35
I like to work out of a case, with everything easily accessible. It saves me from having too many things on my person.

Alan Gales
28-Jul-2013, 20:21
My back is fused together at L1-L2 so hiking is out of the question and I really don't get too far from my Jeep. I use an inexpensive cordura tool bag from Home Depot. It has an extension handle and wheels on it so I can pull it behind me. The bag has several internal tool pockets to hold smalls like my loupe, flashlight, and torpedo level. I have a leather strap on my tripod so I can either carry it with my hand or use the strap over my shoulder (whatever works for me that day).

Everyone is different. You just have to figure out what works for you. :)

Drew Bedo
29-Jul-2013, 08:30
• Btzs hood either on the camera or pushed back over my head and shoulders.
• Loup on lanyard.
• Meter in shirt pocket.
• The next film holde in the back pocket of my jeans.

What else do you need?

If I move any distance it all goes back into the old Lowero Magnum bag.

Drew Bedo
29-Jul-2013, 08:36
Alan: I am right with you on bending over.

My ideal set up would be a bag or hard case with wheels that could easily be set up on legs. As I get older it is harder to carry around 20 lbs of gea on my shoulder then set it down and bend over to work out of the bag.

If Pelican made a case with larger wheels and had fold down legs to bring it up to waist height, that would be perfict.

ROL
29-Jul-2013, 09:07
There's rarely a place to sit where I go photographing.

Really? Are you waterborne most of the time? Floaties for tripod legs, I imagine. I figure I can sit just about anywhere, and have. Around these parts, rocks only get softer with greater elevation.

DrTang
29-Jul-2013, 09:17
all that is the fun part

DrTang
29-Jul-2013, 09:29
Alan: I am right with you on bending over.

My ideal set up would be a bag or hard case with wheels that could easily be set up on legs. As I get older it is harder to carry around 20 lbs of gea on my shoulder then set it down and bend over to work out of the bag.

If Pelican made a case with larger wheels and had fold down legs to bring it up to waist height, that would be perfict.

check this:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?104786-meet-my-LFPMD

David R Munson
29-Jul-2013, 09:46
I have an awesome belt pouch I use all the time. When I'm working, I use it to hold a compact camera, leatherman, notebook, knife, pen, sharpie, etc. When I'm out walking with roll film, I use it to hold extra 120, a couple filters, my meter, etc. When out with 4x5, I use it to hold my loupe, level, leatherman, cable releases, meter, notebook, and whatever other little things I need. That's how I manage the little bits. The camera, lenses, and holders usually go in a Think Tank shoulder bag, and I carry my tripod in my hand.

Drew Wiley
29-Jul-2013, 10:16
I work out of a large external-frame backpack. But things I need immediately on hand - for the specific shot - are place in a mesh bag hung from either the hook
below the tripod platform or, in the case of my wooden tripods, knobs or cleats on the tripod itself. I eventually learned the value of tight clasps whenever toting
the assembly over my shoulder, rifle-style.... managed twice to drop light meters into a creek - that was an expensive lesson.

Alan Gales
29-Jul-2013, 12:44
check this:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?104786-meet-my-LFPMD

That's just what Drew and I need, a pretty girl in a tube top and short shorts to haul our gear around for us! :cool:

jp
29-Jul-2013, 18:33
Really? Are you waterborne most of the time? Floaties for tripod legs, I imagine. I figure I can sit just about anywhere, and have. Around these parts, rocks only get softer with greater elevation.

Some of my favorite places... A salty marsh. a granite breakwater, a rocky beach, a wet sandy beach. I like to photograph in the snow as well, which I don't sit in to keep dry. If I get tired, I'll set my gear down and lean against a tree rather than sit. Big rocks aren't bad to sit on.

SpeedGraphicMan
30-Jul-2013, 15:53
I juggle all the accesories with one hand, and with the other, I pick up the broken ones!

redrockcoulee
31-Jul-2013, 09:06
My lightmeter case fits on my belt so that it is always handy but neither in the way nor around my neck. The loupe goes around my neck and most commonly everything else stays in the bag. I do have a photographer's vest that I sometimes use, especially if I am also taking the digital camera with me.

GG12
5-Aug-2013, 02:09
Good question. Recently started using an F stop bag, which while pricey, works well. It has a hook on top, so that it hangs from the tripod, but cleverly, the bag is always tilted back, so things won't fall out. It opens so that its like a home office to work out of, so major stuff is kept there and accessible as you need it. The little stuff (lupe, meter) hang on the neck or wrist. Nevertheless, there is always something looking for a home - takes time to figure out a routine.

Rick Olson
5-Aug-2013, 14:45
I found one of these .... http://store.lowepro.com/optics/field-station.

It's for bird watchers, so it's small, front-mounted and has room for a meter, loupe, accessories and has a firm workspace for a notepad to track exposures, etc. It has worked out great so far.

Bob Sawin
26-Mar-2014, 13:59
I was recently in a workshop with a guy who had purchased a baby jogging carriage and rigged it to carry his pack and gear. It had large, wide tires on it and handled everything from gravel to sand pretty well. Plus, it had lots of room. He paid $65 for it and made just a few minor adjustments.

Bob Sawin
26-Mar-2014, 19:55
You don't have your servants carry all this for you?

Had to fire the whole lot when they started in about minimum wage and benefits...

Kirk Gittings
26-Mar-2014, 19:57
I was recently in a workshop with a guy who had purchased a baby jogging carriage and rigged it to carry his pack and gear. It had large, wide tires on it and handled everything from gravel to sand pretty well. Plus, it had lots of room. He paid $65 for it and made just a few minor adjustments.

I use one too on groomed trails. I think I have a post or two on it in a thread on the DVI forum.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?90409-Adapted-baby-jogger-for-hauling-gear

Leigh
26-Mar-2014, 20:03
You don't have your servants carry all this for you?
Had to fire the whole lot when they started in about minimum wage and benefits...
Wages? Why would servants be concerned about (or even know about) wages?

That's certainly not the case with mine.

- Leigh

Noah A
27-Mar-2014, 05:32
For urban shooting when I'm taking taxis and mass transit, I use a lowepro flipside 400 backpack. It holds a Technika, 4-5 lenses and 10-12 holders with no problem, plus accessories obviously.

For working close to the car I use either the flipside or a larger rolling case. I'll often carry the camera on the tripod with a few holders in my jacket pockets or in a very small messenger bag.

Either way, the key while actually shooting is to put lanyards on your loupe and light meter. If they're around your neck, they're always at hand and you can't drop or lose them. My loupe didn't come with one so I made one with some nylon string and gaffers tape, but I couldn't imagine using a loupe or lightmeter without one.

I use a normal harrison darkcloth, the smallest one, and when I'm done composing I just throw it over a shoulder.

You'll get used to juggling all the gear, part of it is just experience and learning what works for you. I doubt you need a rolling cart or a fancy case for a small camera and a few lenses and holders.

Drew Bedo
27-Mar-2014, 05:50
The way I work in the field is oriented towards avoiding too much bending over or squatting . . .or picking up much weight.

Shirt pockets take Meter on a lanyard, Loupe on a lanyard, short cloth tape in front jeans pocket, BTZS hood on camera or around my neck. Each lens has a short cable release already screwed on.

Everything travels in an old LowePro Magnum shoulder bag that is often strapped to luggage wheels (I'm older now). The bag is organized with PhotoBackpacker boxes for most items.

Having set up, composed and focused the composition, one or two 4x5 film holders sometimes ride in the back pockets of my jeans while metering. This may not actually be the best way to deal with film in the field.

When using the luggage wheels, I often add the extra weight of a folding camp stool. Now-a-days I just have to stop and sit sometimes, and getting up off the ground again can be difficult.

I am sure that a classic photographers vest would work well . . .I just can't make myself weare one.

Rollinhofuji
27-Mar-2014, 06:10
I carry everything* except the tripod in my LowePro ProTrekker 400AW. It's big, heavy, but extraordinary well protected and has even a better strap system than my technical mountaineering backpacks. I usually lay it onto the ground next to the tripod, in muddy conditions protected by the integrated rain hood (not very convenient, but it works). On location, I first unpack the camera and mount it onto the tripod. Then grab my loupe (with strap), and put the T-shirt around the camera back. Then compose, focus. Lock all movements including the tripod head. Put away the dark cloth, insert the film holder, then grab the light meter (fits into my pocket), meter precisely. Put aways light meter, shoot. Pack everything and go.

I think I will consider a big vest also...sounds really convenient. If you don't have to hike big distances, a big should bag might be better than backpack.

*4x5 camera, lenses, light meter, loupe, T-shirt dark cloth, film holders, filters, batteries for light meter, Ebony 4x5 viewing frame, notebook (paper), cable release, small cloth for lens or filter cleaning

NancyP
3-Apr-2014, 09:53
I bought this vest on sale for $40.00 - it may serve well, the back pocket holds at least 4 4x5 holders, the lens pockets are sufficient for the tiny round lens boards used by the Toho. This is a heavy poly-cotton lined vest not suited for the warm humid summers.
http://dotlinecorp.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=222_1177&products_id=7318&zenid=0669473e2d7093aa8bb46336aaa30610
My all purpose lightweight cotton vest for lens caps, filters, other small paraphenalia is from Bass Pro Shop, a real cheapie at $20.00 and an inoffensive plain grey color. It was a close-out several years ago.

Here's another interesting hunting "half vest", actually an apron, but the store won't call a "men's clothing" item an apron, naturally.
http://www.basspro.com/Browning-Trapper-Creek-Half-Shooting-Vest/product/13080306214114/
Bruce Barlow's carpenter's apron idea is cheaper.

ROL
3-Apr-2014, 10:01
You'll get used to juggling all the gear, part of it is just experience and learning what works for you. I doubt you need a rolling cart or a fancy case for a small camera and a few lenses and holders.

Oh Noah A(rk?), we all know about you and your big boat. You're not fooling anyone.;)

dsphotog
3-Apr-2014, 10:03
The bigger the camera the closer to the car I shoot.....
I find the Domke photo vest, and a Bogen/Manfrotto tripod apron helpful to free my hands.

Drew Wiley
3-Apr-2014, 15:22
I have always worked out of a big true external frame backpack with side pockets etc. My wooden tripods have bronze cleats attached to hang my loupe and meter.
But I learned the hard way about attaching gear after I dropped my light meter into icewater crossing a high country creek, when it slipped. So about my only recent
improvement is to have not only a hook, but a tight little clasp on my CF tripods where the loop on the meter simply cannot work loose. Lots of my shots are opportunistic, so the last thing I want is some hot vest or a bunch of redundant stuff in the pack. Architectural shoots are a different subject.

Andrew O'Neill
3-Apr-2014, 15:22
I have a big old photo vest I picked up over in Japan. I've got so much shite in it my arms stick straight out to the sides.

Shootar401
4-Apr-2014, 09:18
I put them in my pocket. Seriously.

90% of the time when I'm shooting LF I'm out with my Speed with a Grafmatic. The only accessories I carry are an ancient Weston meter, loupe, Y, K and R filters and flashbulbs as needed.

When I shoot 8x10 I use a small ThinkTank over the sholder bag that holds 6-7 8x10 film holders as well as a lens, filters, meter, cloth, etc..... It's not the best solution but it works for me.

Grayparts65
26-Apr-2014, 01:22
Lenses

John Kasaian
26-Apr-2014, 07:45
Light meter and loupe hang around my neck. Notebook and pencil or pen go in my pocket along with Swiss Army "Tinker." A cable release. Film holders, filters and lens cleaning kits, dark cloth, small level, extra lens if desired, and whatever else fit inside a shoulder bag with a good bottom so it sits on the ground, flat rock or bench, or hangs on a fence if I'm not carrying it.

Regular Rod
26-Apr-2014, 08:47
I'm new to large format (4x5). I recently purchased a nice old Crown Graphic and have exposed maybe 25 negatives so far, mostly environmental portraits. Of all the things I'm finding challenging (and there are many!) the one I'm struggling with most is also one that seems the most silly; how to manage all the "stuff" involved. I've got a bag that fits the folded camera, 4 film holders, etc, but once I start shooting I seem to need everything at once.

I'm wrestling with an old shirt in the wind as a focusing cloth while using the loupe to view the ground glass and trying not to drop the loupe when I discover I left the film holders in the bag so I stuff the loupe uncomfortably into my pocket, wipe the sweat from my eye and almost choke myself when the strap from my meter catches the tripod as I reach for the holders and now the t-shirt has blown away and so on.

I should probably just slow down and perhaps I'll develop a better system. Maybe I'm just hoping to hear that it's not just me. Anyway, I'd love to hear how others manage things.

Go on eBay and get some +5.5 reading glasses (even if your eyesight is perfect) wear those when focusing instead of struggling with the loupe. You get to see the whole image in one go and you get to see instantly changes to depth of field etc. No need to struggle with a loupe.

Two XXXL black Tee Shirts one inside the other makes a good dark cloth. The neck goes round the camera and you put both Tee shirts over your head. Cheap Tee Shirts are fine, however, I do have the Rolls Royce of solutions for the film holders. That is the Cascade from Photobackpacker. Being organised with this device is just plain brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEuBKTvdnik&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

RR

Bob Sawin
27-Apr-2014, 10:52
I have two favorite pieces of gear for that. One is the Cascade Film Holder from Photobackpacker and the other is this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AQWIFS/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item fast becoming one of my favorites. It's perfect to hold my meter, notepad & pen and glasses.