PDA

View Full Version : Hello all of you Beautiful people!

j demaline
25-Jul-2013, 09:39
My name is judd and I'm new to this forum. I've been a freelance photographer for the past ten years. I've worked all over the country but predominantly in Saint Louis. Recently I've had an urge to get back to the basics and I began shooting with film again. I fell in love with why I fell in love with photography all over again. I usually shoot on an Argus c3 for 35mm [poor man's Leica :) ] and I've been shooting quite a bit of 120 film on an old Ciro-Flex TLR. That camera is so much fun its silly. Most recently, as in today, I purchased a Toyo D45M... I know its not the best view camera around but the price was right and frankly, it's been ten years since I used a view camera. Should be a nice re-introduction for me. At least I hope so.

I look forward to talking with some of you and learning from you as well. There's a photographer that I admire and his rule of thumb is this:

"When you go on vacation leave your camera at home. Take a break from it; however, when you go on vacation bring your 4x5, and fall in love all over again."

I don't think any of us could say it better.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day,
judd

Jim Cole
25-Jul-2013, 11:56
Welcome to a great group, Judd. I don't know who you were addressing in the title of your post, but I know it wasn't me. I've looked in a mirror lately. ;-)

Ari
25-Jul-2013, 12:45
The Toyo D45m is a great camera, lots of geared movements, plenty of available parts and very inexpensive; it's no slouch at all. :)
Have fun with it!

Leigh
25-Jul-2013, 14:13
Hi Judd, and welcome aboard.

Beautiful People??? They're in front of the lens.

Those of us behind the lens definitely do not fit that description. :D

- Leigh

Alan Gales
25-Jul-2013, 17:11
Welcome to the forum, neighbor!

I think Leigh is probably right but maybe we are beautiful on the inside? ;)

John Kasaian
26-Jul-2013, 06:38
Welcome aboard!

Otto Seaman
26-Jul-2013, 06:45
We should learn how to take a compliment. Thanks and welcome!

Andrew O'Neill
26-Jul-2013, 11:07
Welcome back to LF photography and welcome to the best LF forum on the net!

Leigh
26-Jul-2013, 12:47
We should learn how to take a compliment.
We should learn how to appreciate a joke.

- Leigh

j demaline
31-Jul-2013, 09:14
Well so far so good!! All of you seem to have a great sense of humor and I've always been a huge fan of that quality.
Alan... thank you so much. Where are you located in St. Louis?

Perhaps all of us should have a photo safari and the theme could be beautiful people, or at least your interpretation of beautiful people. After all...
"Everything beautiful is not always good, but everything good is always beautiful." -Ninon de L’Enclos

Alan Gales
31-Jul-2013, 11:06
Judd,

I live in Brentwood just south of the world famous St. Louis Galleria. Tim Layton is also a member here. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Tim but he lives in St. Louis. Tim has some nice LF videos on YouTube. If you look at St. Louis Photography Club's website you will find a few of the members shoot large format. I'm not a member but am considering joining. My daughter is going away to college so I am going to have more free time. I used to be very involved with her pitching fastpitch softball. Through Craigslist I have sold items to four young men who enjoy the hobby. Last but not least, my very good friend, Harold, owns a Toyo A1 along with the rest of his vast camera collection.

You are not alone in St. Louis! :)

Where are you located?

Alan