PDA

View Full Version : An Image sharing thread is stuck on first page, could I have locked it somehow?

Pat Kearns
23-Jul-2013, 00:10
On my home computer in the image sharing forum the thread "What did you compose at waters edge" won't go passed the first page. It opens on page one but will not open any other page after that. I can click on the last page or any other random page but it stays on the first page. It affects only my home computer because my computer at work operates the same thread without any issues.

Have I somehow locked the thread only on my home computer and any suggestions on how I can solve this issue? Thanks for any help.

Ralph Barker
23-Jul-2013, 06:20
That's curious. From your description, I assume that is the only thread affected in that manner?

You might try deleting your LFPF cookies and rebooting. It would appear that your browser is stuck in a strange state, but I'm frankly at a loss as to what might cause that.

SergeiR
23-Jul-2013, 06:49
On my home computer in the image sharing forum the thread "What did you compose at waters edge" won't go passed the first page. It opens on page one but will not open any other page after that. I can click on the last page or any other random page but it stays on the first page. It affects only my home computer because my computer at work operates the same thread without any issues.

Have I somehow locked the thread only on my home computer and any suggestions on how I can solve this issue? Thanks for any help.

- browser
- OS

might be good idea to tell.

Generally speaking it looks like you might have some issues with transparent web cache somewhere (computer or your local home one or your ISP). So one thing would be to purge all caches in browser , and/or possibly take that computer on other network to see if it behaves same way.

Preston
23-Jul-2013, 08:03
I am seeing similar behavior on two computers at home. If I click to see the last post in the thread, all is good. If I then select previous page, the very first page of the thread displays.

When I start at the first page of the thread and then select any other page, the first page of the thread reloads.

Very strange behavior. I am not seeing this on any of the other threads I look at.

Both computers are running Win 7 Pro 64 bit and IE 10.

Firefox does not exhibit this behavior on either computer.

--P

Pat Kearns
23-Jul-2013, 10:57
Ralph, Sergie,
That is the only thread exhibiting any issues. All of the others are fine. I'll check on clearing cookies and see it helps.

Additional info:
Home computer OS Windows 7 Home 64 bit, IE 10 is the only browser installed and running, desktop not on network.

Work computer OS Windows XP and IE 6, desktop on network.

Preston, not to be negative, I'm glad that you have seen a similar issue was it on same thread I mentioned or another?

Preston
23-Jul-2013, 11:30
...was it on same thread I mentioned or another?

Same thread Pat. I should've stated that.

Edit: I just opened the thread in 'Compatibility Mode' in IE 10--identical behavior.

--P

Pat Kearns
27-Jul-2013, 16:29
Same thread Pat. I should've stated that.

Edit: I just opened the thread in 'Compatibility Mode' in IE 10--identical behavior.

--P
Thanks Preston, I was looking on the LF site for compatibility mode before I realized IE 10.......Doh!

SergeiR
27-Jul-2013, 19:32
I'd try to purge IE caches.. It could be that there is some odd glitch in JS got stored for that particular page and it just refuses to expire. Purging cookies always good idea too :)

Preston
29-Jul-2013, 11:01
Sergei,

I am not sure what's going on. I deleted cookies, including the one for the forum, and also purged IE 10 temporary Internet Files to no avail. I use CCleaner, btw. Weird.

--P

Tim Hodgson
29-Jul-2013, 15:49
I have had this problem for a while now. It is only on this thread and is related to a problem on the server, not a problem on member's computers.

The thread is entitled, "What did you compose at Water’s Edge? ". The problem is that the forum software can not handle the apostrophe. Go to the thread and click on the last page,(which is currently page 346). You will be shown page 1 again. But if you look in the address line of your browser you will see that it was told to go to page 346. Now, edit the address line and take out the apostrophe, and you will be taken to page 346. Or any other page you wish, if the apostrophe is removed from the address line.

Now, I say this is a server software problem ... that may not be true if not everyone has the same problem ... it may be a browser setting, not sure. But, if the mods could go in and edit the name of the thread to take out the apostrophe it should fix the problem. That may leave an issue for anyone who is currently subscribed to the present thread ... is there a way to redirect from one thread to another ?

Pat Kearns
29-Jul-2013, 20:34
Sergei,

I am not sure what's going on. I deleted cookies, including the one for the forum, and also purged IE 10 temporary Internet Files to no avail. I use CCleaner, btw. Weird.

--P
I tried deleting cookies and purging IE 10 temporary files as well but it still didn't clear up the issue.

What's worse is that the same issue has started with the "Dreaded film holder problem" thread in the Photography & Technique forum. Anyone having a problem with that thread as well?

Preston
29-Jul-2013, 20:39
Tim,

I just tried your suggestion to remove the apostrophe and it works.

Pat: I am seeing what you are seeing in the "Dreaded film holder problem" thread. It looks like what's causing the issue is the dash between the word 'dread' and the word 'and' in the URL...

largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?103493-The-film-holder-nightmare-we-all-dread-–-and-what-to-do

If you remove the two of the three dashes between those words in the URL it will resolve correctly.

I am using IE10, so apparently this is minor hitch in the way IE resolves the URL's, since I do not see the issue in FireFox.

--P

rdenney
30-Jul-2013, 10:10
I removed the apostrophe from the thread title. Please report here your outcomes.

I'm wondering: if some browsers are set for different character encodings, will they interpret the apostrophe differently. I know that many times apostrophes entered on Apple products don't display properly in all encoding schemes, and in this case the browser may not be converting the apostrophe to something readable. All that is beyond me, but I can at least remove the apostrophe and see if that helps. Maybe this will spark an idea with Tom or Ralph.

Rick "noting that caches may still need to be reloaded" Denney

rdenney
30-Jul-2013, 10:18
Tim,

I just tried your suggestion to remove the apostrophe and it works.

Pat: I am seeing what you are seeing in the "Dreaded film holder problem" thread. It looks like what's causing the issue is the dash between the word 'dread' and the word 'and' in the URL...

largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?103493-The-film-holder-nightmare-we-all-dread-–-and-what-to-do

If you remove the two of the three dashes between those words in the URL it will resolve correctly.

I am using IE10, so apparently this is minor hitch in the way IE resolves the URL's, since I do not see the issue in FireFox.

--P

I removed the em dash from that one, too.

Rick "please report back" Denney

Pat Kearns
30-Jul-2013, 18:06
Rick, your editing of the apostrophe and dashes has solved the issues I was having with the two threads. I live far below the Mason Dixon Line and we butcher the Kings English here so there is no offense from me of you removing the apostrophe and dashes. I decided to omit them in this response because I did not want to possibly lock myself out of this thread. :) Thanks for your help.

Preston
31-Jul-2013, 20:29
Removing those characters from the titles of the affected threads appears to have worked, Rick.

Many thanks!

--P

Tom Westbrook
1-Aug-2013, 19:55
I changed a setting that should fix this issue. Please refresh or close & reopen your browser and try to access the pages you're having problems with.

Preston
7-Aug-2013, 20:04
OK, I found another thread that won't allow me to select different pages.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?102230-The-10(-)-most-useful-“tips-to-self”-before-taking-the-shot

IE 10, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Both fully up to date.

Anyone else seeing this?

--P

Tim Hodgson
7-Aug-2013, 23:42
This time it is the "+" sign that is not being interpreted correctly. Don't know whether this is related to the previous problem or not.

Ralph Barker
8-Aug-2013, 07:35
It works fine in Firefox, and Google Chrome, but not in IE 10.

Ralph Barker
8-Aug-2013, 11:06
Just for kicks, I thought I'd try uninstalling IE10 and re-installing IE 9. [raspy error buzz] IE 10 cannot be uninstalled, only the IE 10 features can be turned off. Once that is done, IE 9 cannot be installed fresh. The error message indicates that it is already installed. But, it doesn't show up on the menu of programs that can be uninstalled, either. Re-enabling the IE 10 features doesn't change the behavior - it still chokes in the threads mentioned.

So, until Microsoft fixes the bug, it appears that the best work-around is to suggest members use Firefox, instead.

rdenney
8-Aug-2013, 12:18
Apparently, IE10 is screwing this up. Since we can't change that, we suggest that people only use alphanumerics in thread titles, while Tom sees if it's possible to broaden his fix. Meanwhile, I'll fix this thread title.

I suspect many are like me--my employer does not permit me to install Firefox or other browser, though they do permit limited personal use of the Internet.

Rick "removing the quotes also, just in case" Denney

AtlantaTerry
31-Oct-2013, 11:27
I just experienced the "stuck-on-the-first-page" today with a thread.

I tried clicking on the numbers and "Last" but remained on page 1. The only thing left was to click on the "Page x of x" then typing in the page number. That worked.

BTW, this thread works normally.

The thread in question is here:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?107840-Getting-there-–-Slowly-achieving-your-vision

Eric Rose
3-Nov-2013, 13:22
Time to start using a "real" internet browser ;) like firefox.

Ralph Barker
4-Nov-2013, 06:45
I edited the thread title. Does IE10 choke on commas as well as dashes?

StoneNYC
4-Nov-2013, 08:43
Time to start using a "real" internet browser ;) like firefox.

Or safari, or chrome, or even opera... IE hasn't been a "real" browser since windows 95....

StoneNYC
4-Nov-2013, 08:44
Apparently, IE10 is screwing this up. Since we can't change that, we suggest that people only use alphanumerics in thread titles, while Tom sees if it's possible to broaden his fix. Meanwhile, I'll fix this thread title.

I suspect many are like me--my employer does not permit me to install Firefox or other browser, though they do permit limited personal use of the Internet.

Rick "removing the quotes also, just in case" Denney

Tell your employer that the browser doesn't work for stuff you need for work since the upgrade and that you can't do your job without Firefox ;)

rdenney
4-Nov-2013, 15:00
Tell your employer that the browser doesn't work for stuff you need for work since the upgrade and that you can't do your job without Firefox ;)

My employer (in the larger sense--my bosses are with me on this) doesn't care if I can't do my job using my computer. They do care that my computer conforms to their rules.

Rick "Ralph did what I would have done by replacing the em dash--let's see if it works" Denney

StoneNYC
4-Nov-2013, 21:46
My employer (in the larger sense--my bosses are with me on this) doesn't care if I can't do my job using my computer. They do care that my computer conforms to their rules.

Rick "Ralph did what I would have done by replacing the em dash--let's see if it works" Denney

Hah! Sounds like a corporation alright.

So take the week off and when they ask why nothing was done, say "well you didn't let me install a functioning browser, so I couldn't work" haha

Don't do this for real, that will not go over well ;)

rdenney
5-Nov-2013, 13:33
Hah! Sounds like a corporation alright.

So take the week off and when they ask why nothing was done, say "well you didn't let me install a functioning browser, so I couldn't work" haha

Don't do this for real, that will not go over well ;)

What I work for is worse than a corporation, and they won't ask that question.

But I rather doubt that I would be successful in claiming my work was inhibited because some aspect of IE interefered with the Large Format Photography Forum, heh.

Rick "who mostly uses Tapatalk on his cell phone or iPad" Denney

StoneNYC
5-Nov-2013, 14:32
What I work for is worse than a corporation, and they won't ask that question.

But I rather doubt that I would be successful in claiming my work was inhibited because some aspect of IE interefered with the Large Format Photography Forum, heh.

Rick "who mostly uses Tapatalk on his cell phone or iPad" Denney

Hah! Yes I almost am never on the site but to post Images when scanning.

Pat Kearns
17-Nov-2013, 00:37
Rick,
In the image sharing thread, In Honor of Per Volquartz - Post A Photo is locked on page one. Can you edit that title and see it will unlock it?

rdenney
17-Nov-2013, 08:02
Rick,
In the image sharing thread, In Honor of Per Volquartz - Post A Photo is locked on page one. Can you edit that title and see it will unlock it?

Looks like one of the other mods got to it first. Let us know if there is still a problem.

Rick "those pesky em dashes" Denney

Ralph Barker
17-Nov-2013, 08:32
Looks like one of the other mods got to it first. Let us know if there is still a problem.

Rick "those pesky em dashes" Denney

Actually, I believe it is an "en dash" as an "em dash" would be represented in ASCII text as two ASCII dashes. ;-)