PDA

View Full Version : Friends

bob carnie
18-Jul-2013, 09:51
Ok so I have had a couple of people ask me to be friends, first off what the hell does this mean ?. Also if they are my friends , how friendly are they, can I ask them to lend me a few bucks?

so far I have three friends, here on LFPF am I missing some secret society?

I know this may be the silliest thread yet but what does this function do.

Nathan Potter
18-Jul-2013, 10:01
Bob, I've run into the same peculiar thing on my computer while just recently recovering from hip replacement. I tend to be anti social, tending toward being a hermit (I can get more personal things done that way) so I usually choose my own friends. I don't get it either.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Merg Ross
18-Jul-2013, 10:02
Ok so I have had a couple of people ask me to be friends, first off what the hell does this mean ?. Also if they are my friends , how friendly are they, can I ask them to lend me a few bucks?

Three? I'm envious. I thought after sixty years in this business I would have at least one!

Bob, thanks for asking.

Sal Santamaura
18-Jul-2013, 10:16
Ok so I have had a couple of people ask me to be friends, first off what the hell does this mean ?...It means nothing. Just like Facebook and similar BS. It's a standard feature of the vBulletin software used for this forum.

Managing to make one or two real friends in a lifetime would be a tremendous achievement. "Social media" friends are imaginary crap.

BrianShaw
18-Jul-2013, 10:19
I don't understand it here, on Facebook, or on Yelp. The social media confuses me. I ignore "friend requests" and apologize to anyone who asks twice. You have two friends, Bob. I think what that does is make it easier for you to see what they are posting. For instance in your profile you have "friended" TGTaylor. When I click on the friend tab in your profile all of TG's postings, no matter what thread they were posted to, are listed. I assume that all of your postings are summarized on his friend tab too.

Me, I'm friendless. "Your friends list is empty". Boo hoo for me.

BrianShaw
18-Jul-2013, 10:21
p.s. On Facebook I have one friend... my best friend from high school. We were much better friends before I knew everything he was thinking!

Sal Santamaura
18-Jul-2013, 10:30
...The social media confuses me...Off topic drift. You and I have posted about not correcting others' language, but I'll jump in this time because you'll probably not be annoyed and everyone might learn something.

Medium is singular. Media is plural. Therefore, in this case, appropriate construction would be "The social media confuse me."

Same situation with data. Datum is singular. Data is plural. Therefore, "the datum is" or "the data are" would be correct phrases. Not "the data is."

Now back to our primary curmudgeonly discussion. :)

bob carnie
18-Jul-2013, 10:37
Sal I just think you ruined any chance of Brian being your friend.

Off topic drift. You and I have posted about not correcting others' language, but I'll jump in this time because you'll probably not be annoyed and everyone might learn something.

Medium is singular. Media is plural. Therefore, in this case, appropriate construction would be "The social media confuse me."

Same situation with data. Datum is singular. Data is plural. Therefore, "the datum is" or "the data are" would be correct phrases. Not "the data is."

Now back to our primary curmudgeonly discussion. :)

BrianShaw
18-Jul-2013, 10:56
Sal I just think you ruined any chance of Brian being your friend.

Not really. I actually like Sal. He's correct. I have these discussions occasionally with my tech editors. They seem to have given up on correctness and often to yield to how folks talk now. Or, maybe they are correcting my grammatical erros and simply not letting me know how bad my grammar really can be at times!

bigdog
18-Jul-2013, 12:16
The social media confuses me.

Perhaps a friend could explain it to you ...

Otto Seaman
18-Jul-2013, 12:34
The "ignore" feature is so much more important!

What did Sal say? I can't see it....

Sal Santamaura
18-Jul-2013, 13:08
...What did Sal say? I can't see it....You must have Bob set to "ignore" too since he conveniently quoted my entire post. :D:D:D

Filmnut
18-Jul-2013, 15:27
Hi yah Bob, here's my comments, for whatever they're worth.
With my kids, some of their "friends" treat it like a kind of p...... contest, the more you have the better. Me, I just think it's BS. If you want to be a friend of mine, a real one, that's cool, but I kind of hate this social media stuff. This probably makes me sound like some kind of grumpy old man, which I don't think I am.
Yet.
Keith

Sal Santamaura
18-Jul-2013, 15:47
...This probably makes me sound like some kind of grumpy old man...Why do you say that like it's a bad thing? :D

rdenney
18-Jul-2013, 16:48
It's just a standard feature of the forum software. Use it if you like, or not. It means only what you want it to mean.

Now, we would really like a like button.

Rick "who knows who is friends are without software categorization" Denney

Tin Can
18-Jul-2013, 17:00
LOL, that got me. 3 days ago I unfriended all my highschool friends, turns out they were not very friendly. FB is so much nicer now with only current friends, from the last 40 years. The trick is you have get them all, as there are friends of friends who spy for these so called friends. Clean slate now and nobody here is on my FB, but ol buddy Jim Fitzpatrick. He seems kinda friendly...

For realz...

p.s. On Facebook I have one friend... my best friend from high school. We were much better friends before I knew everything he was thinking!

Bill Burk
18-Jul-2013, 20:15
And I thought you were looking for places to stay on the drive down to Riverside...

Racer X 69
21-Jul-2013, 07:33

The whole "friends" thing is really useless. Most often the only thing we share on a forum is a similar interest in what the forum focus is, like here it is large format photography.

A look around the vast space that we call the internet will reveal there is a forum for just about everything, and most of them are for silly and useless things, forums that simply consume space and time.

To me, the "friends" thing is nothing more than having a shelf full of trophy's, they have little, if any, value. They collect dust. They take up space that could be better used for other things.

Some people have a gazillion "friends", but they rarely interact with any of them.

In "real" life, I have about a dozen people that are genuine friends, people I have known since my youth or my early adulthood. Some of us get together a few times a year, some more frequently. We share good times and food, have great conversation, enjoy the company of each other. If one of us needs help, he or she knows they can contact the others, then anything and everything will be done to help, no matter what the situation is.

True friendship.

I ignore "friend requests" and apologize to anyone who asks twice.

I kind of do the same thing. I will usually send a polite PM and explain that I choose to not participate in that particular forum feature.

With my kids, some of their "friends" treat it like a kind of p...... contest, the more you have the better. Me, I just think it's BS. If you want to be a friend of mine, a real one, that's cool, but I kind of hate this social media stuff. This probably makes me sound like some kind of grumpy old man, which I don't think I am.

I agree wholeheartedly!

Now, we would really like a like button.

Yes, that would be nice. Why does this forum not have that feature?

And a "dislike" button would compliment it well.

Rick "who knows who is friends are without software categorization" Denney

Can I steal this for my signature?

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h194/racerx6948/Forum%20How%20To/big-cheesy-grincopy.png

bob carnie
21-Jul-2013, 07:57
Well I got my answer about this function, I thought I was missing something, I do not use Facebook, Linked In or Twitter , so this feature was strange to me.

I will say this that in 2004 I joined here and APUG, I have met and actually became friends with like minded people, my wife and I have shared dinners,shows , laughs with quite a few , they know who they are and are always welcome to visit... please remember that fish stink after three or four days.

This secret society is fun for me, as I meet people with common interests, I stopped playing sports when my body could not match my aggression. I find these two forums which I frequent, one of the most enjoyable parts of my life. Many have help me through very complicated chemical and photographic theory that I would never have imagined without the forums.

There is a dude in Arizona area who visited Toronto, we met and shared a meal at the first APUG conference, I was talking about how I wanted to get into a large format (8x10 ) but it was financially not in the cards for me at the time, This person sent me a fully functional 8x10 ,lens and holders by xpress , no conditions... now that is what I am talking about, I bet many here could also talk about kindness or friendship that has resulted by being active here and APUG.

thanks for the answers,

Racer X 69
21-Jul-2013, 11:44
This person sent me a fully functional 8x10 ,lens and holders by xpress , no conditions...

That's pretty cool!

Ralph Barker
22-Jul-2013, 06:05
I don't use the "friend" function here, either, Bob, and find the the substitutes for real human interaction provided by the Internet to be more than a little amusing. I'm on Facebook only because a few of my real friends are there, too, and it's a convenient way of staying in touch. I've resisted the other "innovations" so far. I wonder if they can put my brain in a jar when I die, and insert a network connection so I can continue to communicate?

Real friendships, albeit "distant", can be created when someone goes to the trouble of meeting in person after "meeting" on the Internet.

TheToadMen
23-Jul-2013, 01:22

I did get one person willing to be my (analogue) friend and I merried here right away!
That was 21 years ago and still going strong !!

bob carnie
23-Jul-2013, 05:52
Me too but I married her in 2007.

I did get one person willing to be my (analogue) friend and I merried here right away!
That was 21 years ago and still going strong !!

sanking
23-Jul-2013, 10:51
Me too but I married her in 2007.

Quite whining about lack of friends!! You have your wife and at least two other good friends. That should be enough for most people.

Sandy

Racer X 69
23-Jul-2013, 11:39
Quite whining about lack of friends!! You have your wife and at least two other good friends. That should be enough for most people.

Sandy

There you go!

bob carnie
23-Jul-2013, 11:46
Thanks Sandy , I was referring to you and Sam,

Barney and Lucy pictured here on my lap are with Laura the loves of my life.

tgtaylor
23-Jul-2013, 20:03
Three? I'm envious. I thought after sixty years in this business I would have at least one!

Bob, thanks for asking.

After reading Merg's post I added him as a friend and sent a likewise request. Never even received a response. Maybe that's why after 60 years he doesn't have "...at least one."

Ya got your nose too far up your dress, Merg.

Thomas

Merg Ross
24-Jul-2013, 10:33
After reading Merg's post I added him as a friend and sent a likewise request. Never even received a response. Maybe that's why after 60 years he doesn't have "...at least one."

Ya got your nose too far up your dress, Merg.

Thomas

Thomas, my response to Bob was a feeble attempt at humor. Sorry you missed it.

I have, in fact, formed friendships with members of this community. We have engaged in meaningful and civil dialogue over the past decade, and from them I have learned a great deal.

I was not aware that your request required a response, and apologize for my lapse in etiquette. However, after reading your closing comment, my response is negative.

Merg

Tin Can
24-Jul-2013, 10:40
I know a lot of us hate Facebook, but it has taught me internet etiquette. Remember the early days of email, when some of us would post drunken, unwise messages , that were impossible to retrieve? Like me?

I am slowly learning to be extremely polite. Everywhere.

I still have a long way to go.

tgtaylor
24-Jul-2013, 10:55
Sorry Merg but some things in this life do not "require" a response.

Thomas