PDA

View Full Version : As If Ebay Isn't Bad Enough

Will Whitaker
17-Jul-2013, 13:47
I sold a small item to a buyer in Japan. A small flat-rate priority box to Japan was $23.95, so not too bad. Tried printing a label online through USPS website, but it wouldn't take his address as valid and the USPS website isn't smart enough to recognize the address formatting of other countries. So I had to take it myself to the post office where the clerks groaned about having to fill out customs forms. The small priority box is advertised as allowing an insured value of up to $400 at additional charge. It was a $350 sale, so should be good, right? Wrong! The postal clerk couldn't get his system to assign additional insurance unless it was in a medium or a large box! And a medium box would have been $60 - more than twice the price of the small box. So I sent it in the small box uninsured. That's not right.

USPS has been a pain for a long time with international shipping and indemnity limited to unreasonably low amounts like $650 to European countries. But now they're doing bait and switch - else outright lying!

The obvious solution is simply to curtail any international selling on Ebay and elsewhere, including this forum.
Just too much grief! But that restricts unfairly folks outside the U.S. who want to purchase an item here. And it limits my sales potential. But high and/or indeterminate shipping costs deter buyers. My point here, though, is that when USPS revamped their pricing and procedures last winter, they made it unnecessarily complicated.

BrianShaw
17-Jul-2013, 13:59
I can see why it is grief-ridden. I don't do international shipping either. But what does ebay have to do with it?

Tracy Storer
17-Jul-2013, 14:13
I think he means the part about Ebay sucking in general.

IanG
17-Jul-2013, 14:15
It always amazes me that many items I buy from the US are poorly over packaged in boxes way to large. You just answered why they want to charge more.

In the UK they use Volumetric weight or actual weight, which ever is greater, so a small heavy object well packkaged costs less than an an over packaged light item woth a greater volumetric weight.

I ship about 100 ground glass focus screens a year and make my own packaging bnecause I can make a small light box to package say a 10x8" screen that ships at way below the cost of a Post Office postal box and is far stronger.

Ian

Corran
17-Jul-2013, 14:19
Over 100 sales abroad and I have never had anything but awesome experiences with USPS. I think you got a new/unqualified clerk with an attitude.

Just sent a package insured for $1400 to Japan yesterday. Priority mail, not a "flat-rate" box, and it was $61. Charged the customer $50, but I knew it was going to cost more. Charging a little less net me the sale (making a slight attrition to help curb the ridiculous int'l shipping charges some sellers charge).

Jody_S
17-Jul-2013, 14:37
I'm thinking of offering my Ross #3 C-de-V Petzval for sale, free shipping anywhere in the world, no US sales. Just because. No one else in the world seems to have a problem filling out a customs form and negotiating postal services and insurance options.

Brian Ellis
17-Jul-2013, 15:27
One of many reasons why I stopped selling internationally on ebay. The problems differ from sale to sale but there were always problems.

Jac@stafford.net
17-Jul-2013, 15:45
Aside: in the earlier days, before Pay Pal, I had a winning bidder from Japan who sent the hundreds of dollars in USD cash via registered mail.

alpenhause
17-Jul-2013, 15:53
I won't accept credit card payments from countries outside the USA and Canada on ebay, if the folks buying the item really want it they can pay by Wire Transfer, International Money Order or Western Union, ebay does not want people to use those methods for payment but Too Bad! It is really none of ebay's business if both parties consent to a given payment method and the transaction goes well.

Once you get away from foreign credit card payments suddenly USPS shipping has more choices for reasonable shipping options.

PayPal and other credit card processors approved by ebay require well documented, trackable with signature required shipping to help avoid chargebacks, Most chargebacks however resulting from a foreign sale are almost always settled in favor of the buyer hence my iron clad rule of no foreign credit card sales. The "Not As Described" claim is a definate loser for the seller even for domestic transactions.

I have sold items on ebay to problematic countries using Western Union or other methods, low and behold these transactions are trouble free, it is solely up to me to decide about refunds not some "heavy handed" outfit like PayPal that is totally uninterested in evidence of you having shipped the item correctly.

There are just too many rotten tricks that foreign buyers can use for free stuff using credit cards.

Get Paid and Stay Paid

Lachlan 717
17-Jul-2013, 16:10
Yet again, your problems have put those of the whinging, whining Third World into perspective. I get so sick and tired of hearing them complaining about having no food or clean water, being under totalitarian rule, only having a life expectancy of under 50 years.

Imagine if they had to actually go to a Post Office and deal with someone with a bit of an attitude? Never hear the end of it.

Sal Santamaura
17-Jul-2013, 16:13
...A small flat-rate priority box...

It always amazes me that many items I buy from the US are poorly over packaged in boxes way to [sic] large. You just answered why they want to charge more...A Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box has 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8" dimensions. I find it difficult to imagine how small an item Will might have sold that could have been properly protected in an outer box much smaller than that.

Lachlan 717
17-Jul-2013, 16:17
I won't accept credit card payments from countries outside the USA and Canada on ebay, if the folks buying the item really want it they can pay by Wire Transfer, International Money Order or Western Union, ebay does not want people to use those methods for payment but Too Bad! It is really none of ebay's business if both parties consent to a given payment method and the transaction goes well.

Once you get away from foreign credit card payments suddenly USPS shipping has more choices for reasonable shipping options.

PayPal and other credit card processors approved by ebay require well documented, trackable with signature required shipping to help avoid chargebacks, Most chargebacks however resulting from a foreign sale are almost always settled in favor of the buyer hence my iron clad rule of no foreign credit card sales. The "Not As Described" claim is a definate loser for the seller even for domestic transactions.

I have sold items on ebay to problematic countries using Western Union or other methods, low and behold these transactions are trouble free, it is solely up to me to decide about refunds not some "heavy handed" outfit like PayPal that is totally uninterested in evidence of you having shipped the item correctly.

There are just too many rotten tricks that foreign buyers can use for free stuff using credit cards.

Get Paid and Stay Paid

Yeah, because there's no crime in the US. Oh, wait, according to this (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_cri-crime-total-crimes), and to this (http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-with-highest-reported-crime-rates.html), the US has the highest reported crime in the world.

And you might want to read (http://www.forbes.com/sites/halahtouryalai/2012/10/22/countries-with-the-most-card-fraud-u-s-and-mexico/) this before falling back on to US credit cards.

But don't let facts get in the way if you don't want them to.

jb7
17-Jul-2013, 16:23

Get Paid and Stay Paid

As a foreign buyer, I've bought items from foreigners, which have been ' not as described '. Often a photograph is enough to convince the seller that they've been inaccurate in their description, a few times I've needed to use their conflict resolution services, or whatever they're called. Obviously a rotten trick. Still, I've heard many horror stories about fraudulent and abusive sellers, particularly those that demand payment by western union, and wouldn't be all that interested in entering into a contract with someone where they have complete control of the money and the goods.

Your tone is insulting to all buyers, not only those from abroad, and I think you're mistaken to assume that the majority of the readers here are sellers, and that you can have a nice cozy bitch about the market without repercussions to your sales.

As a buyer, I appreciate when someone can take the trouble to visit the post office and fill out a form, something that I take for granted when I have to post something.

If I want something from abroad I can usually get it one way or another, but often the attitude of the seller raises flags I don't ignore.

Randy Moe
17-Jul-2013, 16:34
In the last 6 months, I shipped USPS to a a number of far off lands, I had USPS send me free Customs labels, the special envelopes and free boxes. I only ship Priority and I only went to the PO the first time, because I didn't have all the correct free supplies.

My mailman does a double tap, picks the packages up and he brings me different stuff in exchange. USPS beats all the others hands down.

I did have trouble with a Hong Kong address that was too long, but I just did it direct on USPS and omitted the eBay link, which would not work. eBay was the problem, not USPS.

Turns out the Yukon is a long trip, but OK.

I also have been delighted with my Korean, Japanese, German and UK camera deliveries, getting things I never see in USA. Now there's that guy in Greece I must try as he has great stuff.

I know I always wander off topic, but unless we are buying and selling things over $500, it's all worth the gamble.

Otto Seaman
17-Jul-2013, 16:46
Northern Europe, HK, Japan, Taiwan, Oz have all been very reliable. Southern EU and Asia have had several items outright stolen and/or lost. Making an insurance claim takes a year to resolve and often not satisfactorily. So why should I risk it?

alpenhause
17-Jul-2013, 17:04
I should mention my stern policies on ebay foreign sales have been very effective at weeding out troublemakers from all over the world including my own country.

I did not intend to come off as someone who despises foreign sales, performing all the complex foreign shipping details is easy for me and I do so with pride, foreign sales are important to me as well as domestic sales, I do on a case by case basis accept some foreign credit cards because the majority of foreign buyers are just good honest people and I have had great sales relations.

People from other countries see my terms and conditions on ebay and have taken the time to contact me to work out a payment method and we have always done really well and the buyer is very happy, Communication and working details out is where I am at and it works good.

It is when buyers bid at the last minute hoping to use a payment method I am not enthused about then some careful negotiations are in order, more often than not negotiations often work out well.

There are some countries that are known as problematic I won't be fool enough to list them as it would look prejudicial, I have had a lot of great honest buyers from these problematical countries, I can pretty much figure out if I have found an honest buyer by talking with them and working on a trade that we both agree on.

alpenhause
17-Jul-2013, 17:50
I forgot to mention that I will exchange or refund for an item that is truely and significantly "Not As Described" or is defective No matter where you are from or how you paid for it, shipping refunded too.

Will Whitaker
17-Jul-2013, 18:42
I can see why it is grief-ridden. I don't do international shipping either. But what does ebay have to do with it?

Because these days a lot of the buying power is foreign (meaning specifically outside the U.S.) And if you're going to sell on Ebay successfully, you almost have to be accessible to buyers outside the U.S. To not do so is going to severely limit one's earning potential.

And besides, this story began with an Ebay sale. And Ebay has historically been a pain in the ass, a subject covered here many times over.

Randy Moe
17-Jul-2013, 18:52
I am a former Snap On Tools dealer, aka loan shark. If you are not making enough profit to cover all costs, including losses, don't sell. I used to lose thousands a year on face to face sales, but wrote them off and found the best thing to do was sell more, and not focus on losses. It is a numbers game. I did not accept credit cards and handled cash only, I was the bank.

In case you don't know, a Snap On Tool dealer is an independent franchisee gambling with his own money.

The first time I got screwed out of $1000, I was shocked, pissed, had a few drinks and moved on.

Then I started making serious money.

Will Whitaker
17-Jul-2013, 18:59
Haven't been screwed yet, thankfully. Most of my transactions have been good. Many have been great. Some of my friends I've met through Ebay sales.

But my point is that USPS is a joke. It's an entity that is hovering at death's door, destined to fail in a cataclysm of incompetence.

goamules
17-Jul-2013, 19:02
Try shipping to China, or Russia, or Brazil, or ...... Forums like this one and markets like Ebay are global. But each country has it's own, special rules, and often corrupt postal deliver systems. The statistics of overseas shipping are that you have a very high likelyhood of a lost package. Often, there is no real insurance if that happens. Before "globalization" I'm sure each country enjoyed excellent postal service with no problems in country. Now....anyone who ships overseas will see occasional problems. Yet the foreign customers have NO tolerance for any problem, even if it's caused by their own country's system.

Jac@stafford.net
17-Jul-2013, 19:05
One more thing about that big auction site. I limit sales to persons within the continental USA, and post that potential buyers overseas who wish to buy should work through a US broker. My very best sales have largely been to China through such brokers located in the USA.

photoevangelist
17-Jul-2013, 19:43
I'm an American expat. US sellers do tend to be a lot more tight up than other sellers. I always try to thank the sellers in the US for being open to ship abroad (and give great positive feedback if it's on the auction site). I can imagine there is hassle and worries about shipping abroad. I had worries myself, but there are enough checks and balances the protect the seller and buyer.

So a big THANK YOU to everyone that is open to shipping to us in other countries. And a big THANK YOU to all of you in other countries for buying. I've had sales from Russia, China, France, and Finland that have bid higher on my for sale items than if they were US Only Sales. The world is really much larger than the US.

Corran
17-Jul-2013, 20:18
But my point is that USPS is a joke. It's an entity that is hovering at death's door, destined to fail in a cataclysm of incompetence.

Dangerously close to political talk here, but I have to say that you are flat-out wrong.
It's the people running USPS causing the most problems. And I don't mean the management.
And YES, I am close to this issue - my father has worked as a sorter for the post office for over 20 years.

Corran
17-Jul-2013, 20:21
Another thing, regarding eBay - they recently started a service where you can send the item to a shipping depot, and then eBay will handle the int'l shipping. I don't know how that will work regarding problems with the item, but it might be relevant to those adamant about not shipping outside the US.

BTW, I have shipped things just fine to Russia, China, and Brazil.

Randy Moe
17-Jul-2013, 20:24
I was a teenage mailman, from 16 to 22 years of age, on and off.

I got's stories, I am not telling.

Great job for a kid, not so great a career, not then.

I agree with Brian.

Dangerously close to political talk here, but I have to say that you are flat-out wrong.
It's the people running USPS causing the most problems. And I don't mean the management.
And YES, I am close to this issue - my father has worked as a sorter for the post office for over 20 years.

Brian Ellis
17-Jul-2013, 20:25
Yeah, because there's no crime in the US. Oh, wait, according to this (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_cri-crime-total-crimes), and to this (http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-with-highest-reported-crime-rates.html), the US has the highest reported crime in the world.

And you might want to read (http://www.forbes.com/sites/halahtouryalai/2012/10/22/countries-with-the-most-card-fraud-u-s-and-mexico/) this before falling back on to US credit cards.

But don't let facts get in the way if you don't want them to.

It has nothing to do with crime rates (which are bogus anyhow). If a U.S. buyer screws me I know what to do and where to go to try to collect my money. If a buyer in a foreign country does the same I have no idea what kind of remedies are available there. And even if I did, the cost would almost certainly be prohibitive not to mention the fact that I probably wouldn't know the language.

photoevangelist
17-Jul-2013, 20:27
Another thing, regarding eBay - they recently started a service where you can send the item to a shipping depot, and then eBay will handle the int'l shipping. I don't know how that will work regarding problems with the item, but it might be relevant to those adamant about not shipping outside the US.

Yeah, I strongly hate that service. They call it import charges on my end. There's been a few times I've paid that extra cost, but 9 times out of 10 it discourages me from buying from that seller.

Corran
17-Jul-2013, 20:33
Hmm, well I haven't (and don't plan) on utilizing the service, just pointing it out. I don't understand how it could affect what you pay though on your end? I think they would have the standard charge and it wouldn't be a "surprise" or anything. But I haven't the slightest clue how they are doing it.

jnanian
17-Jul-2013, 22:46
i ship silver recovery stuff worldwide and i am always amazed at not only the cost of freight,
BUT then the $$$ the countries at the other end charges in tariffs +fees ...
not sure how, but people seem to be used to it.

IanG
18-Jul-2013, 01:04

Funny thing is that items go missing at US airports when destined to noun English speaking countries, that's happened to me three times. Maybe it's because the thieves there realise it's likely to take longer for claims to be dealt with due to language difficulties. Two packages sent to me were stolen at O'hare.

Postal services do vary as do Customs, I had one item returned to the US as couldn't be delivered no-one in despite the fact it was tracked and the Turkish PO didn't have the tracking number on there system.

There is a need for better International tracking, UPS can do it so why not the PO's like the British PO, USPS, the German PO often uses their own DHL service overseas so they have full control.

Ian

Will Whitaker
18-Jul-2013, 05:18

So, you want me to blame your Dad??? That doesn't even make sense. What started this for me (and what this thread is really about, by the way) is that my experience with USPS two days ago was one which would dissuade me from being their customer. I'd think they'd want to make their system as streamlined and easy to use as possible so as to promote business, not discourage it.

But their business model is a strange one; like giving away boxes for free with no assurance that that free box will ever come back and have postage purchased for it. It'll just go sit on someone's shelf storing old camera parts.

Not even close to political.

Corran
18-Jul-2013, 06:01
Will, my point was that USPS is a gov't entity. Many of the policies that are crippling them financially have stemmed from Congress, not their management.

Giving away "free boxes" is NOT an issue. The PO is doing extremely well financially - it's other things that are causing money problems, like the requirements on their retirement benefits mandated by law.

Regarding your experience - any company can hire a bad employee, which it sounds like most of your issue stemmed from. Their system is streamlined as far as most of us is concerned. Try packing your item in just a small box, not the small flat-rate. The flat rate int'l is only good for items that are heavy - usually I get cheaper rates with normal boxes for items under 4-5 pounds.

BrianShaw
18-Jul-2013, 06:21
Giving away free boxes, and the flat-rate shipping scheme, and the pick-up-at-home, and the send-supplies-to-home, and the six-days-per-week delivery all keep me using their services. I'm a fan of USPS over all of the rest of the shippers. I have found a few glitches with their on-line services but I'm not in a business where shipping is involved in my income so I grin-and-bare it. I work during virtually any hours the post office is open so going in to work things out with a clerk is a out-of-the-question... but, boy, do I like the automated machines they have in the lobbies! If I were in the buying-and-selling-for-profit business I'd figure out real fast how to work with USPS and ebay and not be posting too many gripes about either.

DrTang
18-Jul-2013, 07:22
Post Office has always worked well for me

has not lost a package in ..well..like 15 years of shipping domestically and internationally

Ebay is the one that bugs - they underestimate international postage..so I just bump up the listed shipping weight a bit and it works out

Jody_S
18-Jul-2013, 08:56
Most postal services, including the USPS, do an amazing job with very little money. You can send a parcel from New York to LA for what, $6-8? And it gets there on time, 99.95% of the time?

SergeiR
18-Jul-2013, 10:29
I'm thinking of offering my Ross #3 C-de-V Petzval for sale, free shipping anywhere in the world, no US sales. Just because. No one else in the world seems to have a problem filling out a customs form and negotiating postal services and insurance options.

Yeah well.. try russian postal service.. USPS is a saint.. (ok. they just broke all the glass in one of my recent packages.. but at least it GOT here... i sent book to friend in Russia from Russia.. 2.5 weeks ago - still enroute).

IanG
18-Jul-2013, 10:40
Ebay is the one that bugs - they underestimate international postage..so I just bump up the listed shipping weight a bit and it works out

My experience is quite the opposite, the estimate on International shipping -which is charged unless you query it and ask for an accurate figure - can be 2 and often closer to 3 times the true cost. Often the sellers don't see the figures until completion.

Ian

John Schneider
18-Jul-2013, 13:21
If you check the USPS website, very seldom are you able to purchase insurance when using a Priority Small Flat Rate Box internationally. The solution is to bring your own small box, which then ships "Priority Mail" and for most countries you can purchase lots of insurance. IMO the Priority Small Flat Rate Box is really only useful (i.e., the most economical) for domestic shipments of a small but heavy item.

For lighter items (<4 lbs) you can also ship internationally by First Class Parcel, which is ~50% cheaper but slower and in most cases supplemental insurance isn't available.

uphereinmytree
19-Jul-2013, 18:03
I only use USPS and stay smart about it. It cost less than all others. I ship plenty of stuff and can't remember the last time there was an issue. Last international shipment was to brazil. it arrived relatively quickly and in fine shape. I did have a large package sent to an APO address in Afghanistan take a LONG time to arrive. I live near a distribution Hub and think that it helps my stuff move swift. I had a small priority box delivered from pittsburgh to Denver in one day recently. Also, I rarely use flat rate and always use the website to pay and print labels.

alpenhause
19-Jul-2013, 22:33
Yep, USPS, quite reliable, haven't lost a shipment yet.

Anyone ship stuff to Mexico?? Did it work out OK?

Foreign shipping is always interesting, I have been quite fortunate to have always shipped to countries where the foreign country's tracking numbers website's info reflect the same info as the USPS website.

I could list the countries I find to be safe and the ones that are not IMO really that safe, one thing for certain is my list will not match many other's lists.

Putting up a list would raise prejudice issues, One's List is One's List, so, use what in your discretion works the best.

Interesting fact about China, Have you all seen the high insurance rates shipped goods by USPS can be insured for? Europe? A paltry $650?

Really makes you wonder about who the USPS has the best Treaty agreement with

Racer X 69
20-Jul-2013, 19:40
My point here, though, is that when USPS revamped their pricing and procedures last winter, they made it unnecessarily complicated.

Try complaining to the postmaster for your postal region.

I make this comment more in a sarcastic manner than as a suggestion. After having ongoing problems with the post office that serves my home, and going to the post office and sitting at the desk of the postmaster at that office I escalated the complaint to the regional postmaster. Having realized no satisfaction at that level I contacted the postmaster general in Washington DC.

The letter I wrote was detailed and specific, and contained supporting documentation demonstrating the complete lack of response at the lower levels.

The response that came back from Washington was to take the matter up with my local postmaster.

So there will never be accountability, and the post office will never serve the very customers it depends upon for its existence.

I am a former Snap On Tools dealer, aka loan shark.

Ah yes! The revolving truck account. The "Easy Squeezy Payment Plan".

In 30 years as a journeyman mechanic I probably spent about $200,000 on Snap-On, MAC and Matco trucks. And now that I am, retired from that business, I have 4 roll around tool chests full of Shiny Hammers!

Here is my last work box.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h194/racerx6948/The%20Electric%20Company/MyToolBox001a.jpg

Randy Moe
20-Jul-2013, 19:57
I also have 4 tool boxes stuffed, from my 30 years at FEL-PRO dyno testing engines. A work box, a house box, a remote garage box and a 1/3 scale sales award box. The little one is my favorite.

I was a loan shark for only 5 years until I got out just before a nasty divorce was going to put me into indentured servitude. Sold the business and removed all inventory 2 hours before a court order. I had offered a generous alimony payment, they refused and got 1/2 what I offered.

I had a good time while it lasted.

Try complaining to the postmaster for your postal region.

I make this comment more in a sarcastic manner than as a suggestion. After having ongoing problems with the post office that serves my home, and going to the post office and sitting at the desk of the postmaster at that office I escalated the complaint to the regional postmaster. Having realized no satisfaction at that level I contacted the postmaster general in Washington DC.

The letter I wrote was detailed and specific, and contained supporting documentation demonstrating the complete lack of response at the lower levels.

The response that came back from Washington was to take the matter up with my local postmaster.

So there will never be accountability, and the post office will never serve the very customers it depends upon for its existence.

Ah yes! The revolving truck account. The "Easy Squeezy Payment Plan".

In 30 years as a journeyman mechanic I probably spent about $200,000 on Snap-On, MAC and Matco trucks. And now that I am, retired from that business, I have 4 roll around tool chests full of Shiny Hammers!

Here is my last work box.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h194/racerx6948/The%20Electric%20Company/MyToolBox001a.jpg

Racer X 69
20-Jul-2013, 21:15
. . . . . . and a 1/3 scale sales award box. The little one is my favorite.

Picture?

Randy Moe
20-Jul-2013, 21:40
The little one is 1/3 scale of the bigger one. The bigger one is a 1964 trade in, from a favorite customer. It's built way better than new ones.

The little one was built on the Tool Box line in Iowa, dates from about 1982. Later they made more little ones but they were cheaper made, rumor was my little box cost more than double what a real one cost.

Picture?

Racer X 69
21-Jul-2013, 06:43
The little one is 1/3 scale of the bigger one. The bigger one is a 1964 trade in, from a favorite customer. It's built way better than new ones.

The little one was built on the Tool Box line in Iowa, dates from about 1982. Later they made more little ones but they were cheaper made, rumor was my little box cost more than double what a real one cost.

That is very cool Randy! Indeed the new boxes and tool are not as good as they used to be. Kind of like the service from the US Post Office, eh? I can imagine the production costs would be higher, as the tooling would have to be changed or modified, and any time a production run is limited the costs will be higher.

Aren't the new boxes built in Mexico?

I have a tiny Snap-On top box, about 4"x6"x12". It works great as a place to keep rings, a watch, tie tacks and cufflinks. I got it to give to my wife as a Christmas gift, but divorced her before the holiday.

She was acting like a worthless postal employee, so she had to go. And unlike the post office, a wife can be fired.

I met a really nice woman a few years later, who had been divorced twice, so when the relationship grew, and we decided to make it a more or less permanent thing, we chose to co-habitate, rather than officially wed.

Been 16 years and is looking like it will be "until death do we part".

Wish I could speak as fondly about my relationship with the US Post Office.

Randy Moe
21-Jul-2013, 07:02
Don't know much about Snap-On Tools these days. My newest Snap-On Tool box was made in Canada, it has never had oily mechanics tools in it, but is used for lenses, flash and such.

I regret not buying a few white Snap-On Tool boxes that were made for hospitals, they would be nice for GAS.

I continue to prefer USPS as my shipper of choice!

That is very cool Randy! Indeed the new boxes and tool are not as good as they used to be. Kind of like the service from the US Post Office, eh? I can imagine the production costs would be higher, as the tooling would have to be changed or modified, and any time a production run is limited the costs will be higher.

Aren't the new boxes built in Mexico?

I have a tiny Snap-On top box, about 4"x6"x12". It works great as a place to keep rings, a watch, tie tacks and cufflinks. I got it to give to my wife as a Christmas gift, but divorced her before the holiday.

She was acting like a worthless postal employee, so she had to go. And unlike the post office, a wife can be fired.

I met a really nice woman a few years later, who had been divorced twice, so when the relationship grew, and we decided to make it a more or less permanent thing, we chose to co-habitate, rather than officially wed.

Been 16 years and is looking like it will be "until death do we part".

Wish I could speak as fondly about my relationship with the US Post Office.

Racer X 69
21-Jul-2013, 11:48
I regret not buying a few white Snap-On Tool boxes that were made for hospitals, they would be nice for GAS.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge here, but what is "GAS"?

Randy Moe
21-Jul-2013, 12:12
A problem some of us have, 'Gear Acquisition Syndrome.'

Just like my friends have always told me, 'You can only ride one motorcycle at a time'. I tell them, 'I like spares'.

I now, for the first time in 45 years, have only one rideable motorcycle...

Please forgive my lack of knowledge here, but what is "GAS"?

Racer X 69
21-Jul-2013, 18:51
A problem some of us have, 'Gear Acquisition Syndrome.'

Ah, I see. Kind of like LBA. Thanks for the clarification.

Just like my friends have always told me, 'You can only ride one motorcycle at a time'. I tell them, 'I like spares'.

I now, for the first time in 45 years, have only one rideable motorcycle...

And how many non-rideable?

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h194/racerx6948/Silly%20Stuff/IdiotOnABike-1.jpg

Randy Moe
21-Jul-2013, 19:18
Classified.

Ah, I see. Kind of like LBA. Thanks for the clarification.

And how many non-rideable?

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h194/racerx6948/Silly%20Stuff/IdiotOnABike-1.jpg

Don Dudenbostel
23-Jul-2013, 03:45
If you really want to experience a nightmare try selling a large heavy scanner to someone in Australia and ship from the US.

I sold my Fuji Lanovia Quattro and spare parts to a fellow in Australia. Very nice fellow and did much of the dirty work setting up UPS air freight to ship it.

Long story short, I had to have a huge crate built which was big enough for two people to get in. I had to fill out reams of paperwork, deal with the census bureau for an export number of some sort and the department of commerce which was a total nightmare. The census bureau folks were very helpfully and it only took about a half hour on the phone. The dept of commerce took many hours over two days and then reading almost 75 pages of jibberish to finally find I didn't need an export license. Then I find even though there's no license needed I must have a code that tells them no license is required. The DOC told me Fuji could provide the info but Fuji had no idea what I was talking about. I finally found out on another hour long phone call to the DOC that scanners are a class and the code is not specific to a Fuji machine. I finally called Epson and Epson was able to provide the info after two days of research. Thank you Epson. Yes I'm the owner of a nice V750 now.

Now after all of this I have to deal with the BS of UPS. I own a commercial photo studio that after 46 years of business I run out of my home. I closed my 6000 sq ft studio when business changed and moved it to my home. I'm getting ready to retire and want to keep costs down. UPS insists they will only export freight from a business and not an individual. I explained to their freight manager I like millions of other businesses operate from their home. I said I have a state business license, pay the state business taxes, city and county and can document that. Ok now we're sort of past that, sort of. Now after going back to the paper work a couple more times and providing my EIN from another business I own and providing documentation on letterhead after a month of dealing with this uPs shows up with the lift gate truck.

The fun begins again. The driver says you don't have a seperate entrance for the business, no sign out front and on an on. I said I do have a back entrance where customers come and go. I said I do t deal with the public, only corporate clients so I don't need a sigh and anyway I don't want to advertise that I have a safe full of expensive equipment. It finally came down to one of us wearing down the other and I won!

It took a month or torture to get tat thing shipped. Lesson learned, to post office is no big deal and NEVER export anything that can't ship in the mail.

Racer X 69
23-Jul-2013, 09:22
Such fun dealing with multiple levels of bureaucracy, huh?

The fun begins again. The driver says you don't have a seperate entrance for the business, no sign out front and on an on. I said I do have a back entrance where customers come and go. I said I do t deal with the public, only corporate clients so I don't need a sigh and anyway I don't want to advertise that I have a safe full of expensive equipment. It finally came down to one of us wearing down the other and I won!

It is great that you won the battle.

I know from experience that UPS {and FedEx} can be difficult to deal with, and one department almost never communicates with another. When I run into an issue like this, I get the number of the truck and the name of the driver, and make a phone call. Drivers have to account for their behavior towards customers, and when they interfere with an attempt by a customer to do business, and the customer complains, they will have to answer for their actions.

Jim Andrada
27-Jul-2013, 11:49
Welcome to the Export club! Endless hours of fun. Like others, I run my consulting business from my home - which is at the top of a long steep curvy driveway. Much too steep for a large truck to back up without the lift gate hitting the pavement. Steep enough that my Land Rover 4WD skids down the driveway when it gets wet. (Yes, we get torrential Monsoon rains in Tucson!)

My Japanese clients often send me 500 pound crates of equipment that we loan to potential customers for testing, or send to trade shows etc. I then have to go through the same circus Don described to re-export the equipment back to Japan after the testing/trade show. Fed Ex has turned out to be pretty accommodating - even to the point of sending a smaller truck onto which they offload from the big truck or which they use to pick up at the top of the driveway and drive to the bottom to load the big truck. Actually I think it's usually just the driver calling one of his buddies, and not something FedEx officially organizes. I also keep a pallet jack in the garage for those times when we have to drag the stuff up and down the driveway by hand. Worst case, I once had to hire a flatbed truck with an off-road forklift to handle a 3000 pound item.

As Don said - paperwork can be a nightmare. It can be worse if you receive the shipment from overseas as the Customs folks report the value of the shipment to the State sales tax folks who then want you to pay thousands in sales tax. Proving that the gear has been re-exported can be quite an exercise as it sometimes takes them a year or two to send the bill and you'd better be sure you have your records of outbound shipment in a safe place.

John Koehrer
28-Jul-2013, 14:21
USPS all the time. International need a simple form filled out. Name & address, & a brief description/value ie: used photo equipment------$XXX.XX.
The new system requires the clerk to enter this in their computer but it's simply copied from the (legibly) filled out form you gave them. I don't find them especially difficult to fill out.

Some posts above suggest a $650.00 limit on insurance. The USPS site says $5,000.00 and that's any class from media mail to Priority. I didn't bother checking Express.

I've had problems with making international labels online so I just grab a bunch of forms when I go to the P.O.. Of course you could have them sent to your address. Free!

There was a post recently(different thread) about a mis-delivered package and the carrier said there's no parcel delivery on Saturday. There is six day delivery that should be nationwide. Sounds like someone's got a carrier full of excrement.

If someone doesn't want to sell internationally, leave it; it's not your problem! ..................Unless you want a no win argument.

ViewCameraNut
30-Jul-2013, 06:50
Just spoke with my Post Master about this issue the other day. She told me that many Countries will open boxes in search of certain items. Often times they will destroy the box in the process and just throw things away or leave them around in case someone they know wants it. She knows of a lady that has to register a 50 cent newspaper because of customs/postal thieves. I feel for you, I had this happen to a package I sent to Australia and it cost me a small fortune.

Will Whitaker
30-Jul-2013, 18:23
All's well it seems. Received feedback from the buyer indicating that the item had arrived and survived the trip. The USPS tracking still shows the shipment in transit as it has for the last two weeks. Based on that, I feared that it had fallen into postal purgatory - or worse. But it appears those fears were for naught. My frustration with the post office remains, however, particularly over their denying indemnity that had been advertised as available for that shipment.

Vlad Soare
2-Aug-2013, 04:41
The USPS tracking still shows the shipment in transit as it has for the last two weeks.
USPS's tracking system is the worst I know of. It's all but unusable, at least for international shipments.
Always use the tracking system of the receiving country's postal service. It's usually much more reliable. :)