PDA

View Full Version : Camera gear registry, what do you think?

Tin Can
14-Jul-2013, 17:15
I just was sent this.

http://petapixel.com/2013/07/14/lenstag-a-free-online-gear-registry-that-aims-to-end-camera-and-lens-theft/

I can see some downside and some upside.

What do you thinK?

Leigh
14-Jul-2013, 18:37
Just somebody trying to gather information for targeted marketing.

They plan to sell the info to advertisers.

- Leigh

Winger
14-Jul-2013, 19:04
One of the steps is to take a picture of the serial number for each item you're registering. How long would it take the average member here to do that (while keeping track of which pic goes to which piece of gear)?
It would be nice to have a central list - I had to do mine over again when my PC crashed and I bought my first Mac. All the recent thefts have reminded me I need to update mine, too.

Tin Can
14-Jul-2013, 19:11
I have fears of loading up another data bank that could be hacked and used by thieves.

It's like a gun registry. In Illinois they wanted to make FOID card holders public knowledge, giving thieves the name and address of gun owners.

Brilliant stupidity.

I think the idea of quickly disseminating thefts is great, but until a theft we are better off digging holes in the backyard.

Never advertise.

Greg Miller
14-Jul-2013, 19:31
The privacy policy (https://www.iubenda.com/privacy-policy/291201) that is available on their web site is shockingly sparse. There should be text there that states that your data will not be shared for any other purpose than to facilitate recovery of stolen equipment. As it stands they can sell your data, publish it publicly, or anything else they chose to do. I would avoid that site like the plague.

Terry Christian
15-Jul-2013, 05:41
I've made a spreadsheet of all my gear, with serial numbers, in Google Drive. Simple and easy to be viewed and updated from anywhere I am.

polyglot
15-Jul-2013, 22:53
I've made a spreadsheet of all my gear, with serial numbers, in Google Drive. Simple and easy to be viewed and updated from anywhere I am.

This. And then you post it here and to the police when someone decides to borrow your toys.

A central registry is completely pointless unless pawnshops are watching it, and they are already bound (at least here in AU, I've no idea about the USA) to hold gear for a certain time before making it available for sale.

Leigh
16-Jul-2013, 02:42
Here in the US, if the theft has been reported, the serial numbers are already in the NCIC database.
Pawn shops are required to check that before they accept merchandise.

- Leigh

Scott Davis
16-Jul-2013, 07:08
Here in the US, if the theft has been reported, the serial numbers are already in the NCIC database.
Pawn shops are required to check that before they accept merchandise.

- Leigh

Whether they do or not is an open question, though. I had a Walker 4x5 stolen, that should have been very easy to identify if anyone walked into a pawn shop with it - the serial # was 098. I reported it to the police the same day as the theft. It has never turned up. But then, this also assumes that the police bothered to enter it into the NCIC database, which given the abysmal case closure rate (of any kind) here in DC, is an open question.

ataim
16-Jul-2013, 07:31
The privacy policy (https://www.iubenda.com/privacy-policy/291201) that is available on their web site is shockingly sparse. There should be text there that states that your data will not be shared for any other purpose than to facilitate recovery of stolen equipment. As it stands they can sell your data, publish it publicly, or anything else they chose to do. I would avoid that site like the plague.

But, just because they have a policy does not mean that an employee cannot sell the information behind their back. IF I have to give my email out I have several junk email accounts. The name I use is linked to who I gave it to. For instances, I'm on the email list for Chili's. The name I used when filing out the form was Paul Chill. If the Chili's data base is hacked I know from where it came from. Not that I can do anything about it, but at least I know who not to trust anymore.

Greg Miller
16-Jul-2013, 08:04
But, just because they have a policy does not mean that an employee cannot sell the information behind their back. IF I have to give my email out I have several junk email accounts. The name I use is linked to who I gave it to. For instances, I'm on the email list for Chili's. The name I used when filing out the form was Paul Chill. If the Chili's data base is hacked I know from where it came from. Not that I can do anything about it, but at least I know who not to trust anymore.

But no privacy policy at all sets off major alarms. I would not go near this...

Jim Noel
16-Jul-2013, 10:09
I would have a difficult time coming up with a worse idea.

Leigh
16-Jul-2013, 10:20
I had a Walker 4x5 stolen...
It was in a dumpster within 15 minutes after they stole it.
They tried to fence it on the street, got no interest, so heave-ho it goes.

- Leigh

Leigh
16-Jul-2013, 10:21
I would have a difficult time coming up with a worse idea.
Amen to that.

- Leigh

photobymike
16-Jul-2013, 12:45
yada yada yada i prefer good insurance with replacement with new....

jp
16-Jul-2013, 13:14

I did that once with online banking. bank name @ my vanity domain. Their database got hacked. I was quick to know when I started getting phishing email to that address. I moved my banking elsewhere. If you've got a domain that has emailing forwarding, it's a good option.

Policies change too. Simply having an adequate policy doesn't mean much, as it could change quickly. If you don't want the info "out there", don't share it. The lens/camera database has the same downside as the famed gun databases; someone's gonna want that data when there's enough in it, and it won't be for selling to marketers, it would be to know who has expensive hobbies for theft purposes.

Even police databases have been abused (not denying they are helpful tools nonetheless).

dsphotog
16-Jul-2013, 14:29
Trust no one.

Shootar401
17-Jul-2013, 11:33
I think its a ploy to sell your info to advertisers and marketers. Either that or this guy wants models and serial numbers for an insurance scam. I'm going with the latter.

Tin Can
17-Jul-2013, 11:38
I don't think the 'developer' has/had evil intent, but a lot of young people are extremely naive.

photobymike
17-Jul-2013, 11:40
Trust no one.

In GOD i trust..... the rest are paying in cash and soon in gold ....

Tin Can
17-Jul-2013, 11:45
Keep buying that Gold, seems cheap now...

In GOD i trust..... the rest are paying in cash and soon in gold ....

photobymike
17-Jul-2013, 11:50
Yes Yes i cant get squat for any of my cameras now.... nobody is buying.... i am selling a good toyota corolla car..nothing ....

Tin Can
17-Jul-2013, 12:06
I have perfectly fine rust free 1999 Ford van that is worthless, except to me. I will drive it till it drops, which may be a while. I tried to sell it as I no longer really need a car.

The economy sucks, very little work for anyone.

Yes Yes i cant get squat for any of my cameras now.... nobody is buying.... i am selling a good toyota corolla car..nothing ....

Racer X 69
22-Jul-2013, 11:57
.... nobody is buying.... i am selling a good toyota corolla car..nothing ....

Camry's in good condition get top dollar.

And the 1991 Camry is the 4th most stolen car.