PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem with LPL/Saunders Super Dichroic 4500II enlarger

grahamcase
13-Jul-2013, 15:51
So, a couple of these enlargers we have where I work are doing something weird:

All of a sudden (one print fine, the next print totally out of whack kind of 'sudden') prints will come out of our Kreonite with a strong cyan cast to them. It's like the paper has gone bad (which it hasn't), and the cyan/yellow layers of emulsion aren't sensitive.

A student yesterday literally printed all afternoon, and when she started her test strips for her final print of the day, they were all coming out cyan. There was image detail, but not really any colour detail, as if the colour of the bulb changed all of a sudden.

I've tested the two problem enlargers, and other than being slightly cooler than normal, they seem OK now - but I'm worried this issue will crop up again, or with other enlargers.

Does anyone have any idea/experience/suggestions as to what might be going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ic-racer
14-Jul-2013, 08:37
I'd suspect the enlargers only if the color of the light was suddenly changing. If that is the case, sometimes filters can stick, and not fall back in place after using a 'white light' lever.

bob carnie
14-Jul-2013, 08:55
Sounds like your student is fogging the paper with a red light somewhere within.
these problems will always be operator error.

look for red and you will find your problem
Does not sound like a enlarger problem
So, a couple of these enlargers we have where I work are doing something weird:

All of a sudden (one print fine, the next print totally out of whack kind of 'sudden') prints will come out of our Kreonite with a strong cyan cast to them. It's like the paper has gone bad (which it hasn't), and the cyan/yellow layers of emulsion aren't sensitive.

A student yesterday literally printed all afternoon, and when she started her test strips for her final print of the day, they were all coming out cyan. There was image detail, but not really any colour detail, as if the colour of the bulb changed all of a sudden.

I've tested the two problem enlargers, and other than being slightly cooler than normal, they seem OK now - but I'm worried this issue will crop up again, or with other enlargers.

Does anyone have any idea/experience/suggestions as to what might be going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!