PDA

View Full Version : Traveling up the North Coast of CA? AA Exihibit in Eureka, July and August 2013

Vaughn
10-Jul-2013, 12:22
About twenty prints by Ansel Adams, from the 1930's to 1970. Just a few of the iconic images and a very nice collection of work well presented.

Free, but they may ask that you turn on the lights when you get upstairs.

The show is at the f/street gallery, upstairs in the only photo store left on the north coast. Swanlund's Camera in Eureka, CA will not be able to help LF'er with film, but at least there is a packet or two of D-76 still in the back!

I live a few blocks away (maybe 12 or so), so let me know if you would like to meet up...I don't mind another excuse to take another look at the prints!

Vaughn

http://swanlunds.com/

disclaimer: I am on the committee that operates the gallery space (a partnership with the store owner to create a "Let's just show photographs" type of situation)

gleaf
21-Jul-2013, 06:46
Thank you for the Grand Idea. Will be poking about Eureka for a day or so the end of August if the travel schedule holds up to reality. Some AA print viewing, a bit of Downtown Brown and a good sandwich. It will be a fine day.

Vaughn
21-Jul-2013, 08:41
Downtown Brown is an okay beer, I prefer their Indica IPA. :cool:

I'll have a few older prints (16x20 silver gelatins) hanging in a bank in downtown in August...reminds me I have to order frames very soon!

Curt
22-Jul-2013, 03:14
Hi Vaughn, are the Ansel Adams prints from your personal collection? Insert smiley face here! It's a great opportunity for those in the area to see the masters work. Of course had they been Brett Weston prints I'd be writing this from a rest stop half way there!

How many silver prints will you have at the bank? Another fine viewing, that's two for one trip!

Curt

Vaughn
22-Jul-2013, 08:03
Hi Vaughn, are the Ansel Adams prints from your personal collection? Insert smiley face here! It's a great opportunity for those in the area to see the masters work. Of course had they been Brett Weston prints I'd be writing this from a rest stop half way there!

How many silver prints will you have at the bank? Another fine viewing, that's two for one trip!

Curt

Yes, they are...too bad the venue is so small I can not show the rest of my AA's nor any of my Bretts. ;)

But seriously, when the next time the Bretts do come out of storage and onto the walls, I'll let you know. I have seen at least two from the collection (Holland Canal and one of the seaweed images) in various local shows. The collection also has his dad's pepper and an unknown (to me) number of other Westons.

The bank show is a minor thing -- just 4 to 6 older prints along with those of another local photographer. I am doing it as favor for a friend who manages the space and had another artist back out of his/her commitment for August. But it will be fun to show some images I have never shown locally before and/or a long time ago. Being a bank, viewing distances will be long, so it is a good excuse to dig out some 16x20 prints framed 24x28!

I have another show locally in September at the University's First Street Gallery -- group show of local photographers which will be up during the Regional SPE conference the university is hosting this fall. I will be hopefully showing all new work -- four to six 11x14 carbon prints, matted 20x24. But I need to get printing to achieve that! I only have one of the images printed.

Vaughn