PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Android Application Beta Testers

tiggert
6-Jul-2013, 12:33
Hey gang,

I just developed a little application for the Android platform that I've been personally wanting for quite awhile. If you know me one of my camera beasts is 12x20, and I've hated hauling that beast around, setting it up, only to find that the image on the ground glass requires ANOTHER move of the beast!

So, I wrote a little android app that helps by displaying the camera preview and shows an approximate crop overlay for your film size and lens length.

The app also stores a list of your favorite film sizes and lenses.

Basically this allows me to walk around with my cell phone and find the "right spot" to set my beast for a given lens. It won't be perfect (there are some funky stretching/resizing that smart phones do between cameras/previews/and screens!) but it should be much closer than just eyeballing the scene.

ANYWAY a couple of my buddies have been testing the app, but only have two devices, and thought I'd let folks on this forum have a look if you would like to play with it, I'd really appreciate any beta testing! It will be a free app, but it will have a little ad space on it. I don't expect to get rich off of it, but a few pennies will pay for more sheets of film ;-).

And you don't have to be a large format person to give it a whirl, but I suspect most everyone here is ;-)

Your Requirements:

-Android device running 3.2 and greater with a camera (just starting tests on earlier versions)
-willing to give it a quick test

The app is currently in the Beta section on the Google Play store. To join the BETA team you have to be part of the Google Group I set up for testing. From there you can link to the play store and sign up to Beta test, and Play will push the app down to your devices. It is a simple process, and as I tweak the app you will also get the latest builds automatically...

Also feel free to use the Beta test group to post issues/complaints or any other feedback. The BETA version is hidden so you can't post on Play until I push it to Production.

To access the Google group just CLICK HERE (http://bit.ly/16cFBaU) or you can email or PM me and I'll send you an invite.

I have a few bug fixes to toss in over the next few days, I expect it to be out of Beta by July 15th or so it should be live on Play. I'll update this thread when that happens.

Thanks!

tiggert
9-Jul-2013, 07:08
There is a new version available in the Beta program with some minor bug fixes and a handy new feature: a bellows factor calculator is built in for easy math!

Still need a few more testers/devices over the next week or so feel free to pm me and I can send an invite!

Plan to make it available around mid July, free app on Play

Thanks!

jars121
9-Jul-2013, 18:54
Sounds like a great idea, count me in! PM with the invite and I'll sign up. Cheers!

wombat2go
11-Jul-2013, 07:27
Sound like an good idea.
I have just built a metal MF camera including the VF which has no framing reticle yet so your app is on topic for me
I have a Verizon HTC 4G
Send me a pm if you still need a tester.

sethlatimer
11-Jul-2013, 11:39
I like this app. Super simple and free. It works on my nexus 4. The camera will almost cover a 135mm lens. Good Luck!

tiggert
13-Jul-2013, 12:19
Thanks again to all the testers! Final "Release Candidate" drop is now live on the Beta store. If you are a tester it should automatically push down with your next Play update cycle. No major new features just a couple of minor bugs and tweaks. If it all works well I'll push the app into production early next week.

Thanks again!