PDA

View Full Version : Constantly having to Log In.

Wayne Crider
25-Jun-2013, 09:29
Up until recently, like last week, I never had to log in. Now I have to every time. What's up with that?

Ralph Barker
25-Jun-2013, 15:42
As far as I know, nothing has changed with the forum software. You might try clearing your cookies for the site.

cowanw
26-Jun-2013, 05:47
Have you ticked the remember me box, when you log on?

Jerry Bodine
26-Jun-2013, 08:15
I checked the remember me box long ago, but I still have to log in after every time-out, which usually happens after inactivity for some unspecified period (about maybe 30 minutes). Very annoying. All the "remember me" does is remember my id and p/w, which makes login quicker/easier, but login is still needed.

Marc B.
26-Jun-2013, 10:04
Which browser are you using? Have you installed all of the latest updates for your browser?
I had problems with IE years ago, switched to Firefox, have only had a few minor hiccups since.

Marc

Jerry Bodine
26-Jun-2013, 10:21
I, too, am using Firefox with all updates.

rdenney
26-Jun-2013, 13:32
Check to make sure you are still allowing cookies.

I've had all manner of sudden changes to browsers over the years, often resulting from some plugin that installed automatically and broke something else. Often, a fresh browser reinstall would address it.

If neither Ralph nor Tom can identify a server-side change, then I'm afraid we are all just guessing.

Rick "knowing that browser writers are never at rest" Denney

Ralph Barker
26-Jun-2013, 16:40
I checked the remember me box long ago, but I still have to log in after every time-out, which usually happens after inactivity for some unspecified period (about maybe 30 minutes). Very annoying. All the "remember me" does is remember my id and p/w, which makes login quicker/easier, but login is still needed.

FYI, the "Remember Me" box also sets a cookie, so sub-processes know that you are logged in. Otherwise, some actions that spawn a sub-process will treat you as an unregistered guest.

Jerry Bodine
26-Jun-2013, 17:33
FYI, the "Remember Me" box also sets a cookie, so sub-processes know that you are logged in. Otherwise, some actions that spawn a sub-process will treat you as an unregistered guest.

Ralph, I noticed that Wayne (post #1) has had the experience of never having to log in. I've never ever had that experience, and I have to keep logging in after being timed-out. My cookies are in place ok. Normally I log out at day's end and log in the next day, but the time-outs are constant. Is there any way around the time-outs?

Wayne Crider
27-Jun-2013, 06:30
I've ticked the box and made sure all cookies were allowed from the site. I never really log out so that when I click the link there is no log in. Now I have to log in all the time. I'll try removing the cookies and see what happens. My browser Firefox is up to date.

Ralph Barker
27-Jun-2013, 06:33
Ralph, I noticed that Wayne (post #1) has had the experience of never having to log in. I've never ever had that experience, and I have to keep logging in after being timed-out. My cookies are in place ok. Normally I log out at day's end and log in the next day, but the time-outs are constant. Is there any way around the time-outs?

The inactivity time-out is currently set to 3600 seconds (1 hour), so, in theory, if one doesn't do "something" for an hour, their login session will be terminated. I'm not aware of any way around this, but those who seem to stay logged in "forever" apparently have a different value stored in one of their cookies. I'll ask Tom about this.

jp
28-Jun-2013, 14:08
I've had firefox automatically block cookies from here and apug, preventing one from staying logged in.

Tom Westbrook
28-Jun-2013, 15:09
I did do a minor version upgrade last quarterly maintenance window. You might need to manually delete all your existing largeformatphotography.info cookies in each browser you use & log in manually to see if that helps.

For what its worth, I did not have to do anything special after the upgrade. Login behavior has not changed in either Safari (macbook pro) or Firefox 21.0. Maybe check you're not in Private browsing mode or are deleting cookies when the browser exits.

Wayne Crider
30-Jun-2013, 16:30
I had just instituted private browsing mode. Must be it.

Jerry Bodine
30-Jun-2013, 17:03
I don't know how to get into private browsing mode, so I doubt that I am. Anyway, I've ceased logging out at the end of each day and now I'm happy - timeouts are no longer happening. Is this just dumb luck?

Wayne Crider
30-Jun-2013, 17:40
Go to Tools >Options >Privacy in the menu bar.

Jerry Bodine
30-Jun-2013, 18:24
I had done that, but not sure which selection(s) are needed. They're not self-explanatory.

Shootar401
1-Jul-2013, 07:01
I'm having the same issue on Safari 6.0.3 and Firefox. I click the remember me button and log in. When I log in and close the window and go back to the forums I need to log back in, if I'm idle for a while I need to log back in. Very Annoying

ROL
2-Jul-2013, 12:03
I had just instituted private browsing mode. Must be it.

Private browsing modes aren't supposed to remember it's you, though I can certainly appreciate you wanting to cover your tracks when here.