PDA

View Full Version : Hardware and software for Scanview 5000

nils
25-Jun-2013, 05:40
I’m going to set up a Scanview 5000 and I have a few questions.

Mac or PC
I’m going to set up a dedicated computer for the scanner. I have an ok specked PC (stationary) which has been gathering dust since I bought a macbook pro 2 years ago. It currently runs windows 7 which should support most XP applications (if it’s a must, it’s no problem installing win XP on it). If I’m going to use this, I’m gonna have to buy a SCSI-card for it.

One Mac alternative is using the mac which the scanner originally was set up with, however it’s really old and running OS8, and doesn’t even have an USB-port. Either that, or I can get a hold on a G5 running OSX 10.3, but this one also need a SCSI-card.

Almost everywhere I read about these kind of scanners people are talking about setups with old macs. So are there any good arguments for scanning on macs or is it just a coincidence?

Software
It seems like most people are running ColorQuartet downloaded from ABC-Scan. Is this the best choice? And does anyone know if it will run on win 7 (with XP mode). Btw, is the company who made this software still in business?

Apparently you need a dongle for this software, are ABC-Scan still selling these? And does anyone know how much they cost?

Thanks!

LF_rookie_to_be
25-Jun-2013, 13:56
My Scanmate 3000 is connected to a G4 Mac that runs CQ 5.3.1 downloaded from ABC-Scan on OS X 10.4. The only reason why a Mac and not a Windows XP PC with CQ is simply because I was drawn to Macs since over a decade ago, working in graphic design studios that used Macs almost exclusively. So if you decide on a Mac - and G4 will work better than G5 with these scanners for less SCSI issues - I would advise to also get a iMac G3 keyboard, one with a power-on button on it. G4s are notorious for the front power-on button/PCB that stops working when you least expect it. Also, no matter if it's a PC or a G4 in the end, get a good SCSI card - mine is Adaptec 29160n and it works flawlessly - and a good, preferably brand new and short SCSI cable, and an active SCSI terminator.