PDA

View Full Version : Jobo Expert 3010 - New user

Jehu
24-Jun-2013, 08:28
I just got my new Expert drum and really like it so far. The first thing I did was process Delta 100 in Rodinal. That's my "go to" combination. From what I've been reading, I'd probably like to try a different soup for my favorite film. I prefer sharpness and detail to softness and mudd.

The next thing I did was process some Ektar 100 in Arista C41.

My main question to those who have been down this road before me is: how much chemistry should I be using? I've noticed that the capacity for the Expert 3010 is listed as 210-1000 ml on one of Jobo's pages and 210-330 ml in their min/max chart. The tank holds 10 sheets and a liter of C41 can process 32 sheets. It seems like one method would be to simply mix up a liter and use 330 ml of each chemical without reclaiming. That would process 30 sheets without the need for depletion time correction. My concern is that it seems like 330 ml may not be enough to properly process the film. Am I safe trying this?

LF_rookie_to_be
24-Jun-2013, 10:15
330ml should do fine IF you agitate/rotate the drum properly - guess that means fastest speed on the processor, if you're using one. I use mine manually and roll it like crazy. No need for one-shot in C41, in my opinion, so I replenish/reclaim chemicals (Digibase kit = FujiHunt). Of course, YMMV.

Jehu
24-Jun-2013, 12:22
I'm using a CPP2 Jobo. I've always used the "F" setting which I assume means film.

The only C-41 I've used so far is Arista because it's the only kit I can find. Is there an alternative? Will I be able to get better results with something else?

Also, do the different processing time/temperature options make any difference on results?

polyglot
24-Jun-2013, 18:13
F is the slowest setting and it is NOT the right speed for film (Jobos are German so don't assume the letters are the initials of English words!); using F on a 3010 is a recipe for bad uniformity. You need about 50 RPM, which is about 4 on a CPP2 (http://www.jobo.com/web/jobo_service_analog/us_analog/instructions/instructions_process_c-41.htm) when running a 3010. Use P (75 RPM) for 2xxx tanks.

I always use 500mL of Fuji C41 in my 3010, regardless of the sheet count: it gets perfect coverage with no risk of streaking/unevenness, without stressing the roller motor like putting 1L in a 3010 does. I usually mix up 1L at a time, which is enough for 64 sheets (16 rolls x 4), and I do the increasing-time thing.

If you were a hardcore LF C41 shooter, you could mix up 800mL (capacity for 50 sheets), which lines up nicely as 5 batches of 10 using the 5 dev times listed in the Fuji instructions. Given recent Kodak pricing though, I rarely have 10 sheets of C41 to go at a time, let alone expect to run 50 in sequence - I don't think I possess even 100 sheets of C41 in my freezer!

Jim Cole
25-Jun-2013, 06:19
I always use a minimum of 500-600ml of fluid as well. Development issues stopped after getting away from the advertised minimum.