PDA

View Full Version : Bodie! Post your images!

Jim Fitzgerald
15-Jun-2013, 11:05
Bodie is a great place to visit. It can be brutal at times but it is a great place to go and wonder around the old buildings from this gold rush town in Eastern California and photograph the ruins. I felt it deserved it's own thread. So I'll start it off.

Carbon transfer prints from my visit over the Memorial day weekend. I'm working on a series focusing on "The Windows of Bodie"

Jim Cole
15-Jun-2013, 11:20
More nice carbon work, Jim!

You're right, Bodie deserves it's own thread. Unfortunately the last time I was there in the early 2000s, I was shooting 35mm. I need to get back with the LF.

This should be a good thread.

Jim Fitzgerald
15-Jun-2013, 11:34
Jim, thanks. Most people know about Bodie in this community. It is a wonderful place for LF and ULF photography. My double wide jogging stroller gets a workout every time I go.

A couple more carbon prints.

Harley Goldman
15-Jun-2013, 15:31
Good thread, Jim! Bodie is great. It is an excellent place just to wander.

I have numerous Bodie window images. Here is my favorite, much different than yours, being in color. I think the reflection looks like a watercolor painting. It is from a couple of years ago.

I am looking forward to seeing your whole series.

http://www.harleygoldman.com/images/large/WatercolorWindowLgWeb.jpg

Jim Cole
15-Jun-2013, 16:13
Good thread, Jim! Bodie is great. It is an excellent place just to wander.

I have numerous Bodie window images. Here is my favorite, much different than yours, being in color. I think the reflection looks like a watercolor painting. It is from a couple of years ago.

I am looking forward to seeing your whole series.

Harley,

I was hoping you'd post that one again here. Really just an outstanding image.

Joe Smigiel
15-Jun-2013, 16:15
Harley,

That image is exceptional. Great eye.

Jim Fitzgerald
15-Jun-2013, 16:29
Harley, thanks. Your image is wonderful! I agree the reflection looks like a watercolor! Bring em' on people!

gary892
15-Jun-2013, 21:38
Not trying to hi-jack the thread but,

Last time I was in Bodie, it was not the most pleasant road trip. Part of the road is paved, but then it becomes a washboard dirt road, and then it becomes a real difficult road to hold.
Has the road improved at all?

Would love to go this fall, but if the road is still boulders then that leaves me out.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Gary

Jim Fitzgerald
15-Jun-2013, 21:43
Gary, the road has not changed. Still you have to take it careful the last three miles in.

Merg Ross
15-Jun-2013, 22:30
Jim - A couple of windows from the 1960's -- 8x10 -- shortly after Bodie became a State Park. Just as well, there would be nothing left, otherwise. I was there earlier and the town was disappearing like Aurora did a decade earlier (for the brick). The road was rough back then, no tour buses.9712697125

I need a lesson in posting photographs, but you get the general idea!

By the way, great work so far by all, and a good idea Jim, for the thread.

Merg

John Jarosz
16-Jun-2013, 07:10
When I was there quite a few years ago the ranger told me the last 3-4 miles of the road were intentionally left unpaved so as to slow down those visitors who think they are going to another Disneyland. Making them drive slower causes them to think (a least a little) about where they are headed and that there is a need to look out for one's self. The rangers don't want Bodie to become just another ten minute stop on a series of vacation shopping sites. I'll bet a lot of those kinds of people turn around because they don't want to be bothered with any inconvenience like having to drive 20-30 MPH for a few miles. I'm all for that.

Harley Goldman
16-Jun-2013, 07:20
I am with you on that, John. If leaving it unpaved keeps out the drive-by crowd, by all means, leave it unpaved. As is, I have seen Bodie so crowded people were parking along the road outside the entrance booth, as the parking lot was completely full.

That said, the final stretch to Bodie is like a interstate highway compared to the road to the Racetrack in Death Valley. That one will shake out your fillings. I have seen MANY flat tires and one punched oil pan from people driving way too fast along that nasty little road.

tgtaylor
16-Jun-2013, 07:55
Great idea for a new thread Jim. I've been on the verge of going back to Bodie for the past couple of weeks but this time with the 8x10 in tow for some salt prints.

Great image Harley.

Thomas

Deane Johnson
16-Jun-2013, 08:15
I've been there around New Years Day and it wasn't very crowded.

Jim Fitzgerald
16-Jun-2013, 08:25
Merg, Nice windows. I' m glad they made it a state park or nothing would be left. I've been interested in the windows at Bodie for sometime now. While we were there the last time the park ranger told us someone broke a window. They think it was a vandal. They have to order replacement panes from Germany at a cost of $6,000 each. Wish I could have caught the person who did it.

Merg, I love the second window especially.

Merg Ross
16-Jun-2013, 09:04
Thanks Jim. Have you been there in the winter, it can be very cold? One year my photo buddy and I were camped in my van and awoke to find ice in the interior! We were the only "tourists" in town and the ranger opened up the buildings for us to shoot interiors. I think he was glad to have company other than his seven yearold daughter who was on school break from Bridgeport. Is camping still allowed at the end of town?

Yes, we are fortunate that the place has been preserved, along with similar efforts at Mono Lake.

Preston
16-Jun-2013, 09:07
Lovely work, gents. Here's one from July of last year when Harley and I were wandering around on a very warm and bright day.

http://www.gildedmoon.com/images/lf_forum/798-1-Web.jpg

Chamonix 045N-2
Fujinon 180mm
Astia 100

--P

Jim Fitzgerald
16-Jun-2013, 09:38
Preston, beautiful!! You are Harley are giving me ideas! When we were up there on Memorial day weekend some of the volunteers dressed up in period attire and were king enough to sit for portraits. My negs are a bit thin and I had to make some special tissue in order to print them. ( that whole carbon transfer thing you know). We found out that two of the people were board members from the Friends of Bodie. The ranger R.G. Randar was very nice and helpful and was glad to have photographers using old big cameras. Daniel, Robert and Randy were shooting plates and Matt Stage and I were shooting film. To my surprise wet plate in the park was no problem.

Merg, I don't think they allow camping near the park but you know I never asked but I will now and yes I've been there in the winter when it is as I like to say "butt ass cold!"

I'm hoping that over time they may open up the buildings for us. I have a plan and once I show/donate some prints maybe they will change their mind.

Harley Goldman
16-Jun-2013, 10:20
Preston, beautiful image!

Jim and Merg, you can drive off on the side roads (kind of north or south, the back ways into the park) and camp pretty much where you want once you are on Forest Service land. There are some real scenic spots to the north heading toward Bridgeport. The route toward Mono is far less scenic.

Jim, if you can gain access for some big camera guys (assuming you consider 4x5 big), I would love to tag along if you had space and wanted tag alongers.

Tin Can
16-Jun-2013, 10:37
Cool, never been there, never will. I respect the treasure Bodie is in your images. I hate myself when I am a tourist.

I think most of the West should have terrible or no roads to keep LA and me out.

My last 'fun' road was the back way into Black Rock City, 2000. My Honda Civic had brand new Michelins and I had to drive like I haven't in 30 years. 100 miles of nobody, loved it. Then wacko Burning Man.

I have never had a 4-wheel drive as I know I will get stuck so far in, nobody will ever get me out. I once walked 25 miles out of the Mohave in January. Stuck 2X4 pickup truck.

Keep those images coming!

Jim Fitzgerald
16-Jun-2013, 10:39
Preston, beautiful image!

Jim and Merg, you can drive off on the side roads (kind of north or south, the back ways into the park) and camp pretty much where you want once you are on Forest Service land. There are some real scenic spots to the north heading toward Bridgeport. The route toward Mono is far less scenic.

Jim, if you can gain access for some big camera guys (assuming you consider 4x5 big), I would love to tag along if you had space and wanted tag alongers.

Harley, I will let you know. I did not have the 14x17 ready to go at the point of the last trip and I want to take it there again. Got a big stroller for it and the 8x10. You know a double wide jogger. I'm going to work on it so I'll keep in touch.

ghostcount
16-Jun-2013, 11:20
...To my surprise wet plate in the park was no problem...

This could change, Ranger Randar (presently the only ranger for Bodie and Mono lake) allowed us but one of the board members stated that they are getting a new Ranger supervisor and a trainee in a couple of months for a total of 3 rangers. They might not be as welcoming. I suspect he let us do it because we were tucked away in the middle of the park. There's not a lot of space that's hidden from view. We hauled everything out and left no trace including all the fluids - boy that was a back breaking hike from the parking lot to the middle of it all. We were lucky.

mandoman7
16-Jun-2013, 12:36
There has been some wonderful images posted on this thread. These were taken in July 2010

http://theblood.smugmug.com/Other/LF-Forum-Photos/i-GkR6XvV/0/XL/Bodie%2020x24c-XL.jpg
Nikkor 90mm F:8

http://theblood.smugmug.com/Other/LF-Forum-Photos/i-D425rZ9/0/L/Bodie%20Bank%20a-L.jpg
SA 75mm f:5.6

http://theblood.smugmug.com/Other/LF-Forum-Photos/i-6tdG6V7/0/L/E.%20Sierra%20%232c-L.jpg
This is taken from one of the side roads that head south from the main road to Bodie
Chamonix 45N-1, FP4

ghostcount
16-Jun-2013, 12:37
John,

Yours are just as wonderful!

Jim Fitzgerald
16-Jun-2013, 12:43
John, great images and what good luck with the skies!

andreios
16-Jun-2013, 13:00
What a place! And all the images... Pity they are so far away.. but maybe one day I'll be able to fly to your side of the planet and visit...

Merg Ross
16-Jun-2013, 21:22
Repaired Window, 1966 4x5/150 Symmar 5.6 Convert.97164

tgtaylor
16-Jun-2013, 21:31
A cracked window into the Universe! Nice image Merg.

Thomas

Jim Fitzgerald
16-Jun-2013, 21:40

Merg, amazing! Do tell? Is that a night shot? Am I seeing stars? Wonderful! I always love your work.

Merg Ross
16-Jun-2013, 21:50
A cracked window into the Universe! Nice image Merg.

Thomas

Thomas, thank you, I really appreciate that. Funny thing, perhaps not, but I came across this old print of almost 50 years ago and liked it. Either my critical taste is improving,or perhaps, slipping, but I saw the Universe also. Maybe too many looks at Paul's apple! (Caponigro, of course).

I know that you are an experimenter with a passion for photography --- good for you!

Merg Ross
16-Jun-2013, 22:03
Merg, amazing! Do tell? Is that a night shot? Am I seeing stars? Wonderful! I always love your work.

Thank you Jim. It is what I call a happy accident. Full sun, dark interior, dirty window glass, f:32 and be there! And, I must thank you again for the thread, for this print has been living in my unmounted print collection for decades. Today it has a new life, a distinguished member of my "wall" collection. Perhaps it will finally be a "keeper"!

Curt
16-Jun-2013, 22:04
Harley, I will let you know. I did not have the 14x17 ready to go at the point of the last trip and I want to take it there again. Got a big stroller for it and the 8x10. You know a double wide jogger. I'm going to work on it so I'll keep in touch.

Curt
16-Jun-2013, 22:07
There has been some wonderful images posted on this thread. These were taken in July 2010

http://theblood.smugmug.com/Other/LF-Forum-Photos/i-GkR6XvV/0/XL/Bodie%2020x24c-XL.jpg

http://theblood.smugmug.com/Other/LF-Forum-Photos/i-D425rZ9/0/L/Bodie%20Bank%20a-L.jpg

http://theblood.smugmug.com/Other/LF-Forum-Photos/i-6tdG6V7/0/L/E.%20Sierra%20%232c-L.jpg
This is taken from one of the side roads that head south from the main road to Bodie
Chamonix 45N-1, FP4

These are excellent photographs!

Curt
16-Jun-2013, 22:11

OK! Now you've got my attention! Merg, I wish I could spend some time with you, just to hear your ideas on photography. This photograph is visually exciting!

Curt
16-Jun-2013, 22:15
Thomas, thank you, I really appreciate that. Funny thing, perhaps not, but I came across this old print of almost 50 years ago and liked it. Either my critical taste is improving,or perhaps, slipping, but I saw the Universe also. Maybe too many looks at Paul's apple! (Caponigro, of course).

I know that you are an experimenter with a passion for photography --- good for you!

It's brilliant, it transcends the ordinary and invites exploration. Do you know the photograph "Bird on the Edge of Space"?

Thanks for sharing!

Curt
16-Jun-2013, 22:16
Thank you Jim. It is what I call a happy accident. Full sun, dark interior, dirty window glass, f:32 and be there! And, I must thank you again for the thread, for this print has been living in my unmounted print collection for decades. Today it has a new life, a distinguished member of my "wall" collection. Perhaps it will finally be a "keeper"!

Yep, I'd be a keeper!

Jim Fitzgerald
17-Jun-2013, 06:21
Merg, I'm with Curt on a meet up. Just to hear your experiences would be great. I've visited your site many times and you vision and the way you "see" is exceptional. Thanks for posting the image of the universe and I'm glad that it has a new life that it deserves. The great thing is all of the great ideas that this thread has given me for my next trip to Bodie.

Harley Goldman
17-Jun-2013, 06:48

Wow, this is outstanding, Merg! I love this. Great abstract.

Harley Goldman
17-Jun-2013, 06:49

Chamonix 45N-1, FP4

Excellent series, John. You got some great skies and put them to excellent use. Great stuff!

mandoman7
17-Jun-2013, 08:43
Thanks Harley, Ghostcount, Jim and Curt. The dramatic skies were obviously a big factor in the success I had that day.

Merg Ross
17-Jun-2013, 10:35
Thank you Harley, Curt and Jim. This year marks my 60th in photography. I'll be putting some new work on my website, it has been neglected --- just noticed the 2012 copyright!

mandoman7
17-Jun-2013, 12:07
Wonderful shot of the window, Merg. I'm strongly reminded of Brett Weston, who's work I saw a lot of when my parents lived in Pebble Beach. I understand you had some nice associations with that crowd. I took a workshop or two with the Josephus Daniels gallery in Carmel and came to envy those that had the chance to mingle with the photo icons in that neighborhood.

Peter Gomena
17-Jun-2013, 13:09
Three shots from Bodie circa 1989. An amazing place with all kinds of photographic possibilities.

Eric James
17-Jun-2013, 14:14
Peter, Since '89 some of the ghosts have begun a display of bottles and insulators behind the window of the building in your second photograph. (It's not LF so I won't post it directly: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eajames/8246731939/lightbox/ )

Nice thread Jim.

Harley Goldman
17-Jun-2013, 14:57
Three shots from Bodie circa 1989. An amazing place with all kinds of photographic possibilities.

The bucket image does a real nice job of highlighting the forlornness of Bodie.

Peter Gomena
17-Jun-2013, 14:58
The last time I was there, a young ghost had put a small paper Halloween pumpkin in a window. I think the park caretakers and their families have access most photographers don't. Of course, I photographed it, but not in LF.

Merg Ross
17-Jun-2013, 20:58
Wonderful shot of the window, Merg. I'm strongly reminded of Brett Weston, who's work I saw a lot of when my parents lived in Pebble Beach. I understand you had some nice associations with that crowd. I took a workshop or two with the Josephus Daniels gallery in Carmel and came to envy those that had the chance to mingle with the photo icons in that neighborhood.

Thank you John, and for sharing your good work. You sure struck it rich with those clouds!

Yes, I did mingle with some very fine photographers in Carmel and the Bay Area. I never thought of them as "icons", perhaps due to knowing them as a youngster. They were pretty normal, with the cares we all share in our day to day living, plus the added passion for photography. Brett, of course, had an immense impact on my life, perhaps more as a person than as a photographer. It would be difficult to be around such an individual from the age of eight, and not be influenced; by the age of twelve I knew that photography would be my own passion, and Brett supported my efforts for four decades.

However, that is all another story, one I am presently attempting to put into words.

Now, back to images of Bodie! Who's next?

Jim Fitzgerald
17-Jun-2013, 22:21
Merg, I can't wait to read about everything you experienced. Nice to have such a mentor not only for photography but in life. So another from my last trip. This series is rather dark and rich like Bodie. hard to see here but the actual carbon print is very nice.

Brian Ellis
18-Jun-2013, 07:40
For those who have been there in the winter, I'm curious how you got there. When I tried a couple winters ago (March) I was able to drive a short distance on the road and then encountered a sign saying the road and Bodie itself were closed for the winter. I was tempted to hike but then I was afraid that when I got there someone would tell me I couldn't make photographs while it was closed.

I've visited in the summer and it wasn't all that crowded though I did encounter a woman who was standing in front of a building I wanted to photograph. She obviously saw what I was trying to do so she just stood there doing nothing until I gave up. I guess she considered herself the winner.

Kirk Gittings
18-Jun-2013, 07:54

Masterful as usual Merg.

Preston
18-Jun-2013, 11:35
Merg, John, and Peter,

Beautiful work, gents!

--P

tgtaylor
18-Jun-2013, 11:35
For those who have been there in the winter, I'm curious how you got there. When I tried a couple winters ago (March) I was able to drive a short distance on the road and then encountered a sign saying the road and Bodie itself were closed for the winter. I was tempted to hike but then I was afraid that when I got there someone would tell me I couldn't make photographs while it was closed.

I've visited in the summer and it wasn't all that crowded though I did encounter a woman who was standing in front of a building I wanted to photograph. She obviously saw what I was trying to do so she just stood there doing nothing until I gave up. I guess she considered herself the winner.

I haven't been there in the winter but a few years ago several of us were contemplating a winter visit. At the time I had visions of renting a snomobile.

Unless they changed, Bodie is open year round but they don't plow the road in the winter. I think you could make it in with snow tires and/or chains.

Thomas

Merg Ross
18-Jun-2013, 13:30
Thank you Kirk and Preston.

Brian, as Thomas notes, open all year but sometimes only accessible by snowshoes, skis, snowmobile and perhaps snow tires. Not a good place to get stuck, a long (and expensive) way for help!

Randy
18-Jun-2013, 14:13
One of those places I would like to visit before I die. Great pictures all.
When I was a young Airman stationed near the Black Hills of South Dakota back in the late 70's, some of us in the photo lab would spend our weekends finding old abandoned mining settlements from the late 1800's and early 1900's. I wasn't doing large format at the time, just 35mm and medium format. Sure would like to revisit those old places.

Andrew O'Neill
18-Jun-2013, 14:22
Merg, Repaired Window is beautiful. Thank you.

dperez
18-Jun-2013, 18:03
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5030/5660775287_419d6347b4_b.jpg
[View Large (http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5030/5660775287_618cacee47_o.jpg)]
4x5 Arca-Swiss, 150mm f/5.6 Schneider Symmar-S lens, Provia 100F QL. Converted to B&W & bronze toned in CS3.

From Bodie.com: The Donnelly House - Charlie Donnelly was a butcher who married English artist Annie Pagdin. Later this house was occupied by E. W. Billeb and his wife Dolly, daughter of James S. and Martha Cain.

Mr. Billeb was the last superintendent and manager of the old Bodie and Benton Railroad (later the Mono Lake Railway & Lumber Company). The garden in front of his house used to be the only green spot in town; the hops that grew there were said to be the only green plants that could survive in Bodie.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8198/8226529984_727cb4aae1_b.jpg
[View Large (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8198/8226529984_8d42517240_o.jpg)]

From Bodie.com: The Conway House - This was Bob Conway's home in Bodie. The Conway's owned a freight wagon business. Their wagons would travel from Carson City, Nevada, to Bodie and back, probably continuously during the non-winter months. If you've driven on the road to Bodie, imagine what it must have been like going down that 13 miles on unpaved, rocky, bumpy, cold, windy, and sometimes dark road.

By the time World War II began, most of the Bodie residents had left town, but Bob Conway was one of the few who stayed in Bodie.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8344/8225460641_a6cefe6c3b_b.jpg
[View Large (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8344/8225460641_a3a1929199_o.jpg)]

The last two were made with my Ebony RW810, 300mm f/5.6 Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-N, Arista .EDU Ultra 100 8x10
Processed in a unicolor drum, Kodak Tmax RS 1:9, Bronze toned in CS3.

-Daniel

dperez
18-Jun-2013, 18:10
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8486/8226527486_9814181f27_b.jpg
[View Large (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8486/8226527486_ec55a210ca_o.jpg)]

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8200/8225458369_7eaac8bf1a_b.jpg
[View Large (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8200/8225458369_f9b8abae25_o.jpg)]

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7420/9079212005_e06d60de19_b.jpg
[View Large (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7420/9079212005_d0f28fa058_o.jpg)]

All of these were made with my Ebony RW810, 300mm f/5.6 Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-N, Arista .EDU Ultra 100 8x10
Processed in a unicolor drum, Kodak Tmax RS 1:9, Bronze toned in CS3.

The last one is my most recent, view them large.

-Daniel

tgtaylor
18-Jun-2013, 18:31
Nice images Daniel. I think that the house immediately above the Swazee (sp) Hotel was the residence of the last resident of Bodie. He moved out in the 40's or 50's leaving Bodie a complete ghost town until the State saved it. If it wasn't so far off the beaten path, Bodie would have surely succumbed to vandalism before the State of California discovered it and made it a protected State Park.

I got to go back soon!

Thomas

dperez
18-Jun-2013, 18:45
Thanks Thomas, that's one of my favorite buildings in the park. I've added some additional info below the images.

Nice images Daniel. I think that the house immediately above the Swazee (sp) Hotel was the residence of the last resident of Bodie. He moved out in the 40's or 50's leaving Bodie a complete ghost town until the State saved it. If it wasn't so far off the beaten path, Bodie would have surely succumbed to vandalism before the State of California discovered it and made it a protected State Park.

I got to go back soon!

Thomas

mandoman7
19-Jun-2013, 09:31
Nice work Daniel.

Harley Goldman
19-Jun-2013, 09:38
Nice work Daniel.

Agreed. That is fine assortment of Bodie images, Daniel. My favorite is the Donnely house. It has an almost IR look to it. Very well done.

ghostcount
19-Jun-2013, 10:00
Well done Daniel!

ross
19-Jun-2013, 19:45
However, that is all another story, one I am presently attempting to put into words.

Looking forward to reading those words, Merg.

Robert Langham
20-Jun-2013, 02:04
Behind Weston's house in Carmel Neil built a little guest room they called the "Bodie House" It was named after a stove door Edward stole at Bodie, that actually had the name Bodie on the front of it. Since they were in the Carmel Highlands, they had to build it secretly. It was before power tools and drills and Neil said he figured out some way to muffle his hammer. I think they built it in the 60s after Edward was gone. Neil's daughter lived there and his sone and wife lived in the main house. Got to spend several nights on the Weston couch.

dperez
20-Jun-2013, 06:13
Thanks.
Nice work Daniel.

dperez
20-Jun-2013, 06:14
Thanks Randy.

Well done Daniel!

dperez
20-Jun-2013, 06:15
Thanks Harley.

Agreed. That is fine assortment of Bodie images, Daniel. My favorite is the Donnely house. It has an almost IR look to it. Very well done.

dperez
20-Jun-2013, 06:34
A repost from the portraits thread, but they were made in Bodie, so I thought I would share here too.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3775/9046799826_20dcfaf616_b.jpg
[View Large (http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3775/9046799826_c79d983085_o.jpg)]

She had two hats, but I told her that the straw hat was the best because it reminded me of Paul Strand's Taylor's Apprentice.
http://lumieregallery.net/exhibitions_wp/09_02_Contrasts_50/photos/STRAND_YYYY_XXXX-27.jpg
Paul Strand

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2857/9044570745_e26b6ba3b8_b.jpg
[View Large (http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2857/9044570745_70231bf3f4_o.jpg)]

Ebony RW810, 300mm f/5.6 Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-N, Arista .EDU Ultra 100 8x10
Processed in a unicolor drum, Kodak Tmax RS 1:9, Bronze toned in CS4

-Daniel

Merg Ross
20-Jun-2013, 07:46
Behind Weston's house in Carmel Neil built a little guest room they called the "Bodie House" It was named after a stove door Edward stole at Bodie, that actually had the name Bodie on the front of it. Since they were in the Carmel Highlands, they had to build it secretly. It was before power tools and drills and Neil said he figured out some way to muffle his hammer. I think they built it in the 60s after Edward was gone. Neil's daughter lived there and his sone and wife lived in the main house. Got to spend several nights on the Weston couch.

Charis Wilson used the solitude of "Bodie House" to do much of her writing, including the two books, "Cats of Wildcat Hill" & "California and the West". In 1948 when Dody Warren came to Wildcat Hill, it is where she lived while helping Edward. I believe Kim and Gina presently rent "Bodie House" to guests who want a few nights of the Wildcat Hill experience!

Peter Mounier
20-Jun-2013, 07:48

Hard to imagine that Edward Weston stole a stove door from a house in Bodie. Are you sure about that? If true, it's a bit of a disappointment. Also, I was around in the 60's, it wasn't THAT long ago. Drills and power tools had been around for a long time by then. Am I missing something?

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Jun-2013, 08:37
Daniel, love the portraits! Thanks for posting them in this thread. I hope to see some more images as well as hear the stories!

tgtaylor
20-Jun-2013, 10:04
Hard to imagine that Edward Weston stole a stove door from a house in Bodie. Are you sure about that? If true, it's a bit of a disappointment. Also, I was around in the 60's, it wasn't THAT long ago. Drills and power tools had been around for a long time by then. Am I missing something?

Well if Edward "stole" something from Bodie, it must have been in the 1940's. At that time there were only a couple of people living there and Bodie wasn't a state park or historical preserve. It was simply a fairly large and mostly abandoned California town.

Thomas

Thomas

Merg Ross
20-Jun-2013, 11:44
Jim, I apologize for diverting this thread momentarily, but I would like to make a correction to an earlier post. Bodie House, or Bodie Room as it was called during Charis' time at Wildcat Hill, was so called after the name plate on the cast iron stove in the room. As to the concern of Edward Weston visiting Bodie and resorting to theft, I am not aware of any evidence that he ever visited. Thanks.

Now back to more outstanding photographs!

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Jun-2013, 12:14
Merg, as far as I'm concerned you can interrupt the thread at any time. Thanks for the info. I think the stories are as important as the wonderful work that everyone is showing and I agree keep the images coming.

Robert Oliver
20-Jun-2013, 18:23
Great thread! Love this place.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6024/6009957291_4ca85e5310_z.jpg
Swayze Hotel - Bodie, CA (or is it Swazey?)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5122/5305400707_c38a20826a_b.jpg
Late for Dinner - Bodie, CA

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Jun-2013, 18:53
Robert, Awesome! Love them both!

Harley Goldman
20-Jun-2013, 19:32
Robert, both are quite a pleasure to view. Nicely done!

Harley Goldman
21-Jun-2013, 06:54
I have posted this one a couple of times already (including in the pictorialism thread recently), but it is from Bodie and is one of my favorites from my images from there. It was done with an 8-3/4" Verito, not quite wide open.

http://www.harleygoldman.com/images/large/DreamCoupeWebLg.jpg

Preston
21-Jun-2013, 07:45
Harley, I have always enjoyed this image. It has a mysterious air that I find very appealing.

Nicely done!

--P

Preston
21-Jun-2013, 07:52
Desert Reflections

http://www.gildedmoon.com/images/lf_forum/796-1-Web.jpg

July 2012

ps: In looking at this again, I need to tweak the contrast a bit. Your thoughts?

Harley Goldman
21-Jun-2013, 08:09
Desert Reflections

ps: In looking at this again, I need to tweak the contrast a bit. Your thoughts?

Thanks for the comment on my car image, PB.

Real nice image, Preston! I like this a lot. I would say it could use the mids brought down a bit. A little more contrast would be good.

Jim Galli
21-Jun-2013, 10:33
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/EasternSierraWorkshopOct2006/ChestBodieWindowS.jpg
chest, bodie window

From Per Volquartz' Eastern Sierra Workshop, 2006

Pinkham Smith Visual Quality Series II #2

Harley Goldman
21-Jun-2013, 10:44
chest, bodie window

Good one, Jim!! It is a bit of a mind bender, in the best of ways.

Andrew O'Neill
21-Jun-2013, 11:29
Very interesting, Jim.

Jim Fitzgerald
21-Jun-2013, 15:31
Jim, very nice indeed!!

Jim Galli
21-Jun-2013, 15:53
Jim, very nice indeed!!

Very interesting, Jim.

Good one, Jim!! It is a bit of a mind bender, in the best of ways.

Thanks very much.

mandoman7
21-Jun-2013, 16:26
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/EasternSierraWorkshopOct2006/ChestBodieWindowS.jpg
chest, bodie window

Great shot Jim. Lots of intriguing shapes.

mandoman7
21-Jun-2013, 16:32
Desert Reflections

http://www.gildedmoon.com/images/lf_forum/796-1-Web.jpg

July 2012

Maybe a little more saturation but its quite nice as it is.

Robert Oliver
21-Jun-2013, 19:46
love these shots of the windows...

I'm always trying to look through them, but guess I should be looking at them! They say a lot.

Nice work guys!

tgtaylor
22-Jun-2013, 10:43
Methodists Church, Bodie

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7318/9110188056_4791443240_c.jpg

Taken a couple of years back with a Toyo-Field Camera on Rollie IR film using a 120mm Nikkor lens.

Thomas

Thomas

Merg Ross
22-Jun-2013, 11:56
Do you know the photograph "Bird on the Edge of Space"?

Thanks for sharing!

Strand? I do now, thanks Curt.

Michael E
22-Jun-2013, 15:20
When I was in Bodie in 1994, I talked to a visitor who was born there. It must strange to see the place where you grew up turned into a museum...

This photo was not taken with a LF camera (please, don't hurt me), but this trip convinced me that I had to get into LF photography.

Michael

Jim Fitzgerald
22-Jun-2013, 15:41
Michael, it is nice to hear everyone's stories and photos, thanks.

Preston
23-Jun-2013, 19:57
Bodie School

http://www.gildedmoon.com/images/lf_forum/795-1-BW-lg-Web.jpg

Chamonix 045N-2
Schneider Symmar-S 210mm
Converted from an Astia transparency

Comments/critiques welcome.

I am really impressed by all the lovely work in this thread. Thanks for starting it, Jim!

--P

Curt
23-Jun-2013, 20:13
chest, bodie window

Jim this is what I gravitate toward. It's excellent! There won't be another workshop like the Tonopah one with the gazebo boys and early morning coffee!

JW Dewdney
23-Jun-2013, 20:16
wondering if i've been here. is there an abandoned gold mine right near here? (guess that might be a bad question if there are lots in the area...) - but I do remember taking the 395 north at one point and finding this neat little wrecked out place with an abandoned gold mine (the mine was a major feature of the site) and the whole place was on the west side of the 395...

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Jun-2013, 20:37
Bodie is on the East side of 395 past Mono Lake. I'm glad that everyone likes the thread. I'm trying to get some of my Bodie Windows ready for a show in Ventura. I have to hang it next week. Thanks to everyone who has posted such fine work.

Peter Gomena
23-Jun-2013, 21:17
Thanks for starting the thread!

Bodie is an amazing, haunted, empty place. And, for some reason, there often are very good clouds.

Jim Galli
23-Jun-2013, 22:18
Great shot Jim. Lots of intriguing shapes.

Jim this is what I gravitate toward. It's excellent! There won't be another workshop like the Tonopah one with the gazebo boys and early morning coffee!

Thanks. Curt, never say never. I'm working up the courage. It would just be a get together, not a workshop. I can't face "expectations" even though I think many were surpassed.

Merg Ross
23-Jun-2013, 22:42
Thanks. Curt, never say never. I'm working up the courage. It would just be a get together, not a workshop. I can't face "expectations" even though I think many were surpassed.

Jim, intended to chime in earlier. I have really enjoyed returning to your photograph. The more I look, the more I see. Excellent!

Hope all goes well down your way.

Harley Goldman
24-Jun-2013, 06:42
Jim, where and when will your Ventura show be up? I work in Ventura.

I will post some more of my Bodie windows when I get a chance. We can keep the thread going.

Harley Goldman
24-Jun-2013, 06:44
Bodie School

http://www.gildedmoon.com/images/lf_forum/795-1-BW-lg-Web.jpg

Chamonix 045N-2
Schneider Symmar-S 210mm
Converted from an Astia transparency

Comments/critiques welcome.

--P

Real nice work, Preston. It is a minor aspect, but I really like how the power poles head off and over the horizon. Nice conversion, too.

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Jun-2013, 06:46
Harley, it will be at the investment firm of Crowel Wedon sp? I hope to get details soon. I have to hang in a week so I'm going to have to scramble now. I want to get some new Bodie work in the show. Should have about 30 images up. I still have images to print.

Harley Goldman
24-Jun-2013, 07:03
Jim,

Google says they are over on Ralston near Victoria. Not too far at all. I work over on Transport, a block behind the DMV.

Once the show is up, perhaps we can meet there one lunch hour and you can give me a tour of your images?

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Jun-2013, 07:09
Harley, that's the place! Sure it would be good to meet for lunch. I'll let you know.

Harley Goldman
24-Jun-2013, 20:07
Here are a few more Bodie windows to keep the thread going.

http://www.harleygoldman.com/images/large/BodieWindowWebLg.jpg

http://www.harleygoldman.com/images/large/Reflections1WebLg.jpg

http://www.harleygoldman.com/images/large/StrangeReflectionsWebLg.jpg

Jim Galli
24-Jun-2013, 20:17
Jim, intended to chime in earlier. I have really enjoyed returning to your photograph. The more I look, the more I see. Excellent!

Hope all goes well down your way.

Thanks Merg. That means a lot coming from you. I also remember Bodie in the early 1960's. We were young teen's already infected with the Model A habit, and if you snuck through the fence that enclosed the mill in those days we discovered a '28 - '29 roadster inside the mill. Obviously not abandoned, it must have belonged to someone who was keeping an eye on it, but being kids, we couldn't help ourselves climbing in the window and having a good look.

Preston
24-Jun-2013, 20:23
Very nice, Harley! I particularly the B&W abstract.

Well done, sir!

--P

Merg Ross
24-Jun-2013, 20:58
Merg, Repaired Window is beautiful. Thank you.

Andrew, thank you very much for the kind comment.

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Jun-2013, 21:56
Harley, love the windows! Especially the melting B&W!

Curt
25-Jun-2013, 03:51

Jim, in that case I'll keep my ears open. I'm getting a lot of invitations for shows and get togethers but Tonopah is different.

Harley Goldman
25-Jun-2013, 14:28
This is another Bodie window. Just a different sort. :) Verito 8-3/4.

http://www.harleygoldman.com/images/large/SideViewMirrorWebLg.jpg

Jim Galli
25-Jun-2013, 16:20
This is another Bodie window. Just a different sort. :) Verito 8-3/4.

He he, fantastic subject matter and image, Harley, but are you quite sure that's Bodie, and not Benton?

Harley Goldman
25-Jun-2013, 17:29
He he, fantastic subject matter and image, Harley, but are you quite sure that's Bodie, and not Benton?

Thanks, Jim. Nice comments, coming from a master.

I have never been to Benton, so pretty dang sure it is Bodie. is Benton worth a visit?