PDA

View Full Version : BMI California made Densitometer, anyone have any information or a manual for one.

Ed Bray
6-Jun-2013, 14:45
I have just won an ebay auction for a BMI Densitometer, apparently all the seller knows is that it was made by BMI and they were in California. I thought I would have a little punt at it to see what it's like as it looks like it could be useful.

ebay Item number: 271213648188 I won it for circa $50 including the shipping so no big loss if it's no good.

Hoping someone here can help.

John Jarosz
6-Jun-2013, 17:11
It's a Brumac. Google it and you'll see some useful info. I had one in the 90's. They were already out of business by then. I bought it cheap because that was still the era when there was a market for densitometers and all the other brands were still $1000. it worked OK. As I remember it needed some time to warm up. Hope yours works because it will be tough finding anyone who could fix it. I used to have the manuals for it but those were gone many years ago.

John

Ed Bray
6-Jun-2013, 23:46
Many thanks John, it has given me somewhere to start.

Ed Bray
13-Jun-2013, 13:28
Well, it arrived this morning and what a beast, is about twice the size and almost twice the weight of my X-Rite 811, came with two new spare lamps and a set of discs with 1mm, 2mm and 3mm holes. I let it warm up for a while and put the X-Rite standard in and my Stouffer Step Wedges and the readings all look to be pretty much as would be expected, it is a big old thing though with a separate transformer which is also a big heavy lump.