PDA

View Full Version : Levy Process camera 11x14 DIY film holder mod

Tin Can
6-Jun-2013, 12:05
I have been messing with X-Ray film and this big Levy Process camera. This is my second attempt at converting it to 11X14 film. I used heavy duty black mat board as a septum with a surface finish tougher than painted septems. Very stiff, with nil deflection. The center is unsupported.

Double stick 3M poster tape, way cheaper than 3M VHB tape that I initially wanted. Also it is removable.

Art store 0.020" sheet acrylic, cut to make a spacer and overlapping edge like traditional holders.

Covered the shiny parts with gaff tape. T distance by complete happenstance is 0.750" which is exactly zero on the Levy GG adjusting lever. That made me happy.

I made the 11X14 acrylic GG with a DA in about 10 minutes, using 150 ceramic grit, I plan to use 220 grit to finish it.

I have a dimmable LED panel mounted on top mostly for focus. I use studio flash with the erratic Ilex 5. I can just get 1 to 1 with the 19" RD Artar.

Of course i must remove the GG after focus and then mount holder, which can be done as quickly as the usual method. I figure an acrylic GG is safer with all the removals.