PDA

View Full Version : Everyone, I have resigned as a moderator.

Kirk Gittings
29-May-2013, 07:11
I have known this was coming and have been tapering off my involvement as a moderator for months and virtually became a moderator in name only.

Unless you have been a moderator on a contentious forum such as this, it is hard to understand the challenges and dilemas one faces. These guys attempt a heartfelt and meaningful effort to the best of their abilities. It is virtually thankless both here at at home. Seeing how I agonized over some decisions here, my wife wanted me to quit years ago, but I convinced her it was a worthwhile effort.

Anyway there is just too much on my plate these days to do justice to the job. It has been sometimes fulfilling, sometimes frustrating but all in all a contribution I was happy to make. This is a great community. Now its time to concentrate all my energies on my photography and my family.

life is good.......

Struan Gray
29-May-2013, 07:13
Thanks for all your thankless work Kirk.

Gem Singer
29-May-2013, 07:16
Thanks for your service Kirk. I wish you well.

Greg Miller
29-May-2013, 07:19
Thanks for all the hard work. It has been appreciated even if it does not feel like it. [comment removed at the request of the poster]

Leigh
29-May-2013, 07:20
Thank you for all your efforts, Kirk.

I know what you mean. I'm a moderator on a forum covering a totally different subject, but of comparable activity.

- Leigh

BarryS
29-May-2013, 07:25
Kirk-- Thanks for your work moderating the forum. I used to be a mod on a very big site and I understand the craziness. No need to agonize, you've contributed a great deal to the site.

billie williams
29-May-2013, 07:29
Thank you for all your hard work, Kirk!! It is very much appreciated. Seriously.

David R Munson
29-May-2013, 07:31
I used to mod a high volume forum full of unbelievable bullshit. I completely understand your reasons in resigning as moderator. Cheers!

Bill_1856
29-May-2013, 07:35
Thanks, and good luck.

Richard Wasserman
29-May-2013, 07:42
Enjoy your life, you've done well here!

jnanian
29-May-2013, 07:43
thanks kirk

your work WAS appreciated

Mark Sawyer
29-May-2013, 07:48
My thanks and best wishes as well, Kirk!

Mind you, we'll expect more photographs to be posted, now that you have the time! :)

DennisD
29-May-2013, 07:50
Thank you, Kirk.
The moderator's job is a difficult one, especially when issues become highly contentious -as sometimes happens here !

While your desire to step back is understandable given your feelings, Please know that I (and clearly many others) certainly appreciated your efforts to maintain an appropriate level of decorum whenever called for.

Thanks for the time and effort you selflessly invested. Please stay actively involved as a general member of the L F Forum.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Kirk Gittings
29-May-2013, 07:55
Thanks all, I do fully intend to stay active here. This is really my home online.

Dave Wooten
29-May-2013, 07:56
Thank you Kirk! You are much appreciated !

bob carnie
29-May-2013, 08:03
Plus one

thanks for all your thankless work kirk.

Sal Santamaura
29-May-2013, 08:04
I have known this was coming and have been tapering off my involvement as a moderator for months...Thanks immensely for the time, effort and thought you put into it since starting as a moderator. Your decisions have been timely, appropriate and difficult. They've made this a much better place for forum members, something that can be clearly seen in the archive.

[with apologies to Sal, removing the portion that responds to a deleted post.]

Here's hoping that whoever tries to fill your shoes continues the practice of strict enforcement. I also hope we run into each other some day in the field. Best wishes and enjoy!

Kirk Gittings
29-May-2013, 08:14
Thanks again everyone. Thanks Sal. As I was pulling back with the intention of eventually leaving, I approached Rick Denney to see if he was interested. The other moderators enthusiastically agreed. IMHO he was/is a really good fit for a moderator. His thoughtful and serious efforts gave me the ease of mind to finally leave. I wish him and Ken well. They carry the bulk of the public face of moderation and they can use all the support they can get. I also think (just my opinion) that there is probably a need for one more moderator so..........

Preston
29-May-2013, 08:20
Thanks for all that you have done for us!

--P

jp
29-May-2013, 08:22
Thank you Kirk; I've done forum moderating at work, and do understand you and appreciate your unseen contribution that has a start and finish.

Randy Moe
29-May-2013, 08:23
Kirk, I barely knew ya, as I am fairly new.

Thanks for your hard, thankless and volunteer work.

You will be missed!

Jody_S
29-May-2013, 08:26
Thanks for the work you've done. I know it's hard to make decisions like this, but frankly, it's (just) the Internet with all it's craziness, and you have to put your own needs first.

Will Frostmill
29-May-2013, 08:29
Thank you for your hard work, Kirk.
I've always enjoyed your regular posting as well, and I'm hoping you continue being a regular here.
Will

rdenney
29-May-2013, 08:30
Kirk, you have set a high standard, and I can only hope to be adequate as a replacement for excellence. Enjoy your "retirement". I will always look forward to reading your posts and I hope we can see more of them and of your work.

Rick "trying to keep up as well as possible" Denney

Peter Mounier
29-May-2013, 08:30
Thanks for your efforts Kirk! Sorry to see you go. Hope you continue to hang around and post some photos.

Merg Ross
29-May-2013, 08:32
"Energies concentrated on photography and family."

Sounds like a good plan, Kirk. Thanks for your time spent here, much appreciated!

Best,
Merg

Doremus Scudder
29-May-2013, 08:32
Kirk,

Thanks for your time and effort helping to keep this forum a pleasant and civil place to come. I'm sure Rick and the other moderators will miss your input.

As for me, I hope you now have even more time to post here; I have always enjoyed you contribution.

Best,

Doremus

Kimberly Anderson
29-May-2013, 08:36
Bravo for making a courageous decision and congratulations for taking some of your life back. You will be missed as a moderator, but you have bigger fish to fry. Job well done!

pierre506
29-May-2013, 08:37
Hoping you will make more stunning pictures, Kirt.

Mark Barendt
29-May-2013, 08:38
I helped run a Rotary club for years, even did a term as president. I fully understand. Thanks for what you have done Kirk.

Heroique
29-May-2013, 08:40
Thanks for the attentive & conscientious work, and we’ll be looking forward to hearing about your ongoing professional work and artist-in-residence experiences.

Peter De Smidt
29-May-2013, 08:54
Kirk,

Thank you very much for all the time and effort you put in to making this a better site!

Bob Salomon
29-May-2013, 09:12
+ 1

Jerry Bodine
29-May-2013, 09:34
+2,3,4 ....

Roger Thoms
29-May-2013, 10:11
Kirk, thank you for all the years of hard work and dedication to LFPF.

Roger

sanking
29-May-2013, 10:45
Kirk,

Thanks very much for your service. It was much appreciated.

Hope you will continue to contribute to the forum.

Sandy

Vaughn
29-May-2013, 10:58
Thanks for all your great work and see ya around the joint!

Vaughn

mdm
29-May-2013, 11:07
Thanks. Its nice not being tied to a computer.

Pete Watkins
29-May-2013, 11:11
Thanks Kirk. Keep posting, but nothing contraversial....................them mods 'll get ya.
You've done a great job, thanks.
Pete.

cps
29-May-2013, 11:24
Kirk,

Thank you so much for your effort!

I am an infrequent contributor, but nearly daily reader on this forum. Your contributions as a moderator and frequent poster are a part of what has made (and continues to make) this forum a really excellent place to learn and ponder photography. The impact for me goes well beyond the narrow confines of large format photography.

I truly appreciate the effort of the moderators to keep the dialogue in this place on the rails. It is a tough job, but it has a direct impact on the value of the forum for its intended purpose. I am so glad to find a place where so many people of such great skill and experience are willing to share with others. I think the moderation of this forum is a big part of that recipe.

Thank you, and happy shooting!
Chris

PS: Rick, thanks for picking up the baton.

Eric Biggerstaff
29-May-2013, 11:29
Thanks for all the hard work Kirk!

BrianShaw
29-May-2013, 11:47
Too bad; I'm sad. Thanks for doing your time. I enjoyed your moderation!

David Schaller
29-May-2013, 11:54
Thank you Kirk. Please keep posting!

Doug Howk
29-May-2013, 12:09
Much appreciate your efforts in an all too frequently thankless job. Keep posting, Kirk.

Juergen Sattler
29-May-2013, 13:00
Kirk, I don't know how you managed to do this as long as you have - I know I would lose my temper much sooner!

Thanks for all the hard work.

Otto Seaman
29-May-2013, 13:14
Good luck with the chemo, Kirk, our prayers are with you.

Erik Larsen
29-May-2013, 14:44
Thanks Kirk for fulfilling your sentence:) I hope you got a gold watch! Putting up with the some of the nonsense posters has to be trying and has to take a toll. Maybe well cross paths sometime out in the southwest? Now, Good luck Ken and Rick!
Erik

Peter Lewin
29-May-2013, 15:03
Kirk, all I can say is that all of you moderators do a wonderful job with this forum, so for you I simply have a large "thank you" for all the work you have done. I hope you use some of your new-found free time to post more of your own work, I know that I can certainly learn from it. Thanks again for all your efforts.

gleaf
29-May-2013, 15:08
Kirk,
Time is all you have to give. Thank you for investing so much for us here. Be blessed in the new placs and things you can gift with your time.

Kirk Gittings
29-May-2013, 15:09
Thanks all!

Kevin J. Kolosky
29-May-2013, 15:10
Kirk

Love your photography. And, well, you know how I feel about moderation!

Good luck in doing whatever you are doing instead of moderating.

Brian Ellis
29-May-2013, 15:11
Really sorry to learn of this Kirk but I certainly understand. We'll miss you greatly.

Curt
29-May-2013, 15:39
Kirk, I'm the same age as you and after a lifetime of activities and service there comes a time to pass the torch in some areas and focus on what is central to ones own life. You made the correct decision. Thank you for the great hard work here on this forum.

Curt

Steve Sherman
29-May-2013, 15:58
Thanks all!

As with so many quality volunteers, they are taken for granted, many times abused. That's why we loose quality people.

Thankful for the time and insight you brought to the forum. Best wishes going forward!!

Henry Ambrose
29-May-2013, 17:23
Thanks, Kirk!
Go have some fun.

Frank_E
29-May-2013, 18:07
your contributions (which are many) are appreciated...

David Karp
29-May-2013, 18:09
Thank you Kirk.

Les Rudnick
29-May-2013, 18:43
Thank you Kirk for all of your efforts.
Take time now to enjoy family and photography.
All the best.

Amedeus
29-May-2013, 18:52
Thanks Kirk ... All the best ... Looking forward to your postings here !!!

AuditorOne
29-May-2013, 18:59
Thanks for all your hard work Kirk. Take some time out and relax a bit. Go make some pictures, there really is another life out there.

Winger
29-May-2013, 20:30
+ whatever # we're up to now.

Hope this means we'll see more photos from you!

patrickjames
29-May-2013, 20:32
I have unfortunately pooped in the sandbox once or twice without immediately realizing it, and nothing was "edited" which is why I have always said this site has some whiny (maybe mentally ill?) people on it complaining about the moderation, since it seems to come up over and over again. It is too bad that someone like you should feel the need to cease your moderation activities; but I understand, having moderated a few times myself, that people on the internet are a general worthless drag on time and energy. In a perfect world, a site would not need moderation because the "crazies" would not exist. I trust you will keep posting here as your contributions in certain areas are valued by me, and by many others I am sure.

jeroldharter
29-May-2013, 20:37
Thanks Kirk.

Kirk Gittings
29-May-2013, 21:08
I am truly overwhelmed by all the good wishes. I did not expect this at all.

David Karp
29-May-2013, 21:26
It is like so many situations. People complain, but we don't thank people when things are going right.

DennisD
29-May-2013, 21:38

Now that you know you're loved so much, maybe you'd like to sign up again for the job !

Vaughn
29-May-2013, 22:37
I thought these "I am leaving..." threads were banned? Where is a moderator when you need one?!

Capocheny
29-May-2013, 22:47
Greetings Kirk,

Have always appreciated your work and dedication to this forum... thanks kindly!

With best regards and wishes!

Cheers

Duane Polcou
30-May-2013, 02:30
Good luck Kirk, and safe travels. Still enjoying Chaco Body after the umpteenth viewing. Please go make some more pictures, and set yourself free from the lunacy of the blister-fingered post-addicts.
Hey...that has a cool ring to it. Maybe it's a syndrome. I know a guy at Pfizer...

Flauvius
30-May-2013, 04:02
Kirik:

There is a time and place for most things in life. Looking back, you certainly have served you time as a moderator with distinction.
As such, your honesty in acknowledging your need to move on is commendable.

Flauvius

rdenney
30-May-2013, 04:52
I thought these "I am leaving..." threads were banned? Where is a moderator when you need one?!

He's not leaving...he's retiring. Because he's so old, you see.

Rick "running and hiding" Denney

rdenney
30-May-2013, 05:44
Just a fair question to you, Rick, the moderator - in your book, is it allowed to call someone's polite post "obnoxious crap like this"? In your book is it rude or completely acceptable?

You're right. Time to remove the rudeness.

Rick "knowing just where to start" Denney

hoffner
30-May-2013, 05:47
Right about what? That it is rude in your book or completely acceptable??

BrianShaw
30-May-2013, 05:56
Wow, Rick... you are almost as good of a mod as Kirk! :)

rdenney
30-May-2013, 05:58
Right about what? That it is rude in your book or completely acceptable??

Guess.

Rick "thinking that those who have an ax to grind about moderation should not do it in this thread" Denney

munz6869
30-May-2013, 06:30
Thanks heaps Kirk! You've really done more than your fair share for a brilliant forum!!

Marc!

Dan Fromm
30-May-2013, 07:25
You should have. Moderation is necessary, and you moderated moderately. I'm going to miss your calming influence.

Brian Ellis
30-May-2013, 07:51
He's not leaving...he's retiring. Because he's so old, you see.

Rick "running and hiding" Denney

Rude. Should be deleted.:- )

Sal Santamaura
30-May-2013, 08:24
...[with apologies to Sal, removing the portion that responds to a deleted post.]...Last edited by rdenney; Today at 05:57. No apologies necessary! I've long felt that those with complaints/issues about moderation ought to handle them directly with the moderators, not in public. Responding in threads isn't fun, but I feel compelled to when unwarranted disparagement of the volunteers occurs and is not deleted.

It will be a pleasure to simply observe now that appropriate deletions have been made. Thanks!

sanking
30-May-2013, 08:33
Kirk brought a lot to the game, a successful career as a professional photographer, distinction in fine art work, and an academic background that includes teaching photography at two prestigious institutions.

Kirk also has another quality I greatly admire, namely, he has "cojones".

I recommend a special honorary title for Kirk for the Large Format forum, "Moderator Emeritus."

Sandy

bob carnie
30-May-2013, 08:49
I met Kirk a couple of years back, I liked him so much I followed him down a path that did not end up good for either of us.
Moderation on a forum cannot be fun and I appreciate those who do.

Kirk brought a lot to the game, a successful career as a professional photographer, distinction in fine art work, and an academic background that includes teaching photography at two prestigious institutions.

Kirk also has another quality I greatly admire, namely, he has "cojones".

I recommend a special honorary title for Kirk for the Large Format forum, "Moderator Emeritus."

Sandy

Kirk Gittings
30-May-2013, 09:13
I met Kirk a couple of years back, I liked him so much I followed him down a path that did not end up good for either of us.
Moderation on a forum cannot be fun and I appreciate those who do.

I don't think I have touched the evil Palletti nectar since-no wait my wife made some killer cookies with it!

redrockcoulee
30-May-2013, 09:15
All of the volunteer positions whether they be at a club level or on an on-line fourm like this, should be considered term, no one person should be expected to carry on forever. As I have never had a posting of mine deleted by a moderator I have not been personnally affected other than I feel the tone here is usually very civil. All the moderators deserve a thank you for that. Kirk, a thank you for the job you did as a moderator but also from me a big thanks for all the useful and insightful postings you have made in the past and I guess thanks for the ones you have yet to make. I hope you feel comfortable with your decision and the best to you for here on in.

John Clifford
30-May-2013, 11:35
Thanks loads, Kirk. Put simply, I admire and am grateful to all you guys who keep this forum going. Enjoy the "retirement(?)"

Kodachrome25
30-May-2013, 12:53
Kirk, you know we are sort of neighbors, right? I say that in an endearing manner in that I did not envy your task of moderating, especially self indulgent loons like my self who type before even finishing a thought.

With that said, I truly wish you the best and do want to thank you for your tireless efforts and I sincerely hope I have not added too much to the troubles of moderating in the past...I am trying to maintain a better diet of internet life VS real life.

So enjoy NM a little more now that you are free and by all means, enjoy the smiles your wife will give you in seeing you more relaxed and more at ease without the stress of babysitting the forum.

Steve Goldstein
30-May-2013, 13:05
All of the volunteer positions whether they be at a club level or on an on-line forum like this, should be considered term, no one person should be expected to carry on forever.

Amen to that. Thank you, Kirk, for allowing yourself to be "volunteered" for what can be a burn-out job. Boo-hiss to those Forum members who make it a burn-out job by forgetting to bring their manners to the keyboard when dealing with the real humans at the other end of the data hose. And rot-in-hell to the spammers who litter this place and make more work for the mods than they already have.

Alan Curtis
30-May-2013, 13:12
Kirk
You truly made this forum better, you will be missed. At times I'm sure you felt like you were trying to herd cats.
Maybe I'll run into you at your next visit to the William Clift show in Santa Fe.

cjbroadbent
30-May-2013, 15:26
Kirk, Many thanks for all your kind and balanced moderation.

Steve Sherman
30-May-2013, 16:07
I don't think I have touched the evil Palletti nectar since-no wait my wife made some killer cookies with it!

Cookies!! And we ran out!

Alan Gales
30-May-2013, 17:30
Thank you for your service, Kirk.

Gee, it sounds like you fought in a war. :)

Being a moderator sounds like a tough job. Dealing with people can be real challenging, especially a bunch of stubborn old farts like most of us.

Anyway, I admire your photography and I hope you have more free time to do some personal work.

sun of sand
30-May-2013, 17:35
btw
where do I send the flowers?

...what? He ain't?????

but

all these people

...did that last poster have 36 posts? You'd have though he was Kirks long lost cousin the way he went on and on

biedron
30-May-2013, 17:49
Thanks, Kirk. Sorry to see you go - you always seemed like a voice of moderation. Enjoy your freedom!

Joe O'Hara
30-May-2013, 18:33
My thanks, Kirk. With all of the prickly personalities and giant egos on this forum, not to mention the rest of us, I am in awe of your patience and equanimity. None of us are getting any younger and you have better things to do with your time (as has been amply demonstrated in your photography). Good luck and good light to you.

sanking
30-May-2013, 19:54
btw
where do I send the flowers?

...what? He ain't?????

but

all these people

...did that last poster have 36 posts? You'd have though he was Kirks long lost cousin the way he went on and on

In lieu of flowers consider a donation in Kirk's name to https://www.cancer.org/involved/donate/donateonlinenow/testa/index?gclid=CJ--q6arv7cCFe3m7AodFUoAfg, or to http://ww5.komen.org/Donate/Donate.html?ecid=vanityurl:117

Or to the charity of your choice.

Sandy

Keith Fleming
30-May-2013, 20:21
Kirk, I am relieved that you intend to stay active on this forum. One reason is that your current thread, "...Or Not," has brought out a lot of excellent ideas and observations from forum members. I recognize an outstanding graduate seminar when I see one!

Keith

Kirk Gittings
30-May-2013, 20:45
In lieu of flowers consider a donation in Kirk's name to https://www.cancer.org/involved/donate/donateonlinenow/testa/index?gclid=CJ--q6arv7cCFe3m7AodFUoAfg, or to http://ww5.komen.org/Donate/Donate.html?ecid=vanityurl:117

Or to the charity of your choice.

Sandy

:) works for me.

Kirk Gittings
30-May-2013, 20:47
Kirk, I am relieved that you intend to stay active on this forum. One reason is that your current thread, "...Or Not," has brought out a lot of excellent ideas and observations from forum members. I recognize an outstanding graduate seminar when I see one!

Keith

Thanks. I miss those! A lot of bullshit and chest pounding but it sure sharpened your own POV.

Leszek Vogt
30-May-2013, 23:11
Gee, it sounds like you fought in a war. :)

I think you should have gotten a combat pay. Thanks for your contribution, Kirk. I just might be tempted to call you at home....now that you're no longer...:D;)

Les

cosmicexplosion
30-May-2013, 23:18
Good onya Kirk!

Just don't moderate your own workflow,
Leave that to history!

hoffner
31-May-2013, 04:16
Thank you for it, Kirk!

EOTS
31-May-2013, 04:55
Thanks for your restless efforts, Kirk!

Enjoy the retirement, we're looking forward to seeing your upcoming photos :-)

Best regards,
Martin

Oren Grad
31-May-2013, 14:08
Ouch! I'm embarrassed that I missed this up to now. :o Thanks a bunch, Kirk, and all best for less pressure and more pleasure in all the other things you do.

Jim Galli
31-May-2013, 16:21
Ouch! I'm embarrassed that I missed this up to now. :o Thanks a bunch, Kirk, and all best for less pressure and more pleasure in all the other things you do.

Me too. Your moderation efforts were above reproach, and you will be missed. Thank you. I tried it once upon a time at APUG. Trainwreck.

Kirk Gittings
31-May-2013, 16:39
Thanks so much guys. All this positive feedback really does mean something to me.

Eric James
31-May-2013, 16:52
All the best to you Kirk, and thanks for your tireless efforts in moderation.

John Kasaian
1-Jun-2013, 06:27
Thank you, Kirk! I have great respect for the mods here, past and present.

eddie
1-Jun-2013, 12:22
Jeez. I leave the country for 5 days and all hell breaks loose back home!

Good luck kirk.

Eddie

Photomax
2-Jun-2013, 21:46
Some nice messages here. I am not a major contributor here and its been ages since I last posted. But I want to say thanks to Kirk. I know his contributions. I have just wrestled with the same issues. For the last few years I have been moderating a digital film making forum. You don't get paid and the emotional workload gets to you after a while. Its not easy...

David A. Goldfarb
3-Jun-2013, 07:05
Thanks for all your hard work, Kirk, and your excellent job at keeping things on an even keel.

Scott Walker
3-Jun-2013, 09:31
Thanks for your work as moderator, greatly appreciated.
Happy to read that you will be sticking around and contributing to the forums still.

jackies
3-Jun-2013, 11:02
Thanks so very much Kirk for doing your job so well for so very long.

I appreciated it so much. I know that I, too, look forward to have you continue to share your thoughts, ideas and photos with us.

Best Regards,
Jackie

John O'Connell
3-Jun-2013, 13:56

Sandy

Yeah. Give him a residence at Castle Gandolfi.

Hans Berkhout
4-Jun-2013, 20:03
Take a break at El Morro for a week or so,without inet.
Thanks for controlling fires as needed , thanks for your time.

Kirk Gittings
4-Jun-2013, 20:04
Take a break at El Morro for a week or so,without inet.
Thanks for controlling fires as needed , thanks for your time.

You are not going to believe this but I have never been to El Morro.....

George E. Sheils
5-Jun-2013, 10:22
Thank you, Kirk.

I hope that you will continue to contribute to the forum. You have helped to make it what it is.

Harley Goldman
5-Jun-2013, 14:27
Thanks for all your effort, Kirk. It is very much appreciated.

al olson
7-Jun-2013, 20:12
First time I have looked at the Feedback section in a couple of weeks and this is what it has come to.

Kirk, thank you for your service. I don't know how you moderators find the time to keep up with all of the threads and policing the rude and antagonistic posts. I find that it takes up way too much of my time to follow a few of my favorite threads. You have dedicated yourself to making this forum a better place and, as you can see, it is greatly appreciated.

We are also grateful for the work of the other moderators who have done their best to keep this forum as a source of information for us all. Because of this, this forum is the only one I participate in on a regular basis. Thank you!

rfesk
8-Jun-2013, 11:28
Kirk, I have appreciated your contributions to the cause of Large Format Photography since you became moderator. And I thank all of the other moderators for their service.

Kirk Gittings
8-Jun-2013, 14:58
Thank you all again!

gth
16-Jun-2013, 09:17
Thanks Kirk.

Hopefully, not having to deal with daily moderation issues will give you more time for advice and sharing your expertise to the benefit of us nubies.

That has always been appreciated. And will be.

Michael Alpert
16-Jun-2013, 13:40
Thank you, Kirk. All best wishes.

Kirk Gittings
16-Jun-2013, 13:50
Thanks guys.

FWIW given what I am aware of at the moment, I will have very likely have another 7 exhibits hung in the next three years. I am 62. That means I will probably hit 100 exhibitions (galleries, museums, public institutions, group and solo-not counting things like restaurant shows) since 1972 by my 65th birthday. I'm wanting most of all new shows to be new work which means I've got to shoot and print my brains out. That is the priority for me now. And I am stoked.

sanking
16-Jun-2013, 14:21
Thanks guys.

FWIW given what I am aware of at the moment, I will have very likely have another 7 exhibits hung in the next three years. I am 62. That means I will probably hit 100 exhibitions (galleries, museums, public institutions, group and solo-not counting things like restaurant shows) since 1972 by my 65th birthday. I'm wanting most of all new shows to be new work which means I've got to shoot and print my brains out. That is the priority for me now. And I am stoked.

Congratulations, that is one hell of an accomplishment.

And hope your knees hold out until at least your 65th birthday!

Sandy

hoffner
16-Jun-2013, 14:31
Thanks guys.

I have just one word for it - heroic!

Kirk Gittings
16-Jun-2013, 14:43
Congratulations, that is one hell of an accomplishment.

And hope your knees hold out until at least your 65th birthday!

Sandy

Thanks guys. As per the knees. I've had one replaced and I'm holding my own on the other!

hoffner
16-Jun-2013, 14:47
Hopefully it holds, Kirk.

Michael_4514
16-Jun-2013, 15:05
Thanks for all the time and attention devoted to the forum. It's been a better place because of it.

Mike

Tracy Storer
22-Jun-2013, 12:26
Sorry to see you go as Mod, but glad you'll still be around.
Trace

Thanks all, I do fully intend to stay active here. This is really my home online.

Robert Langham
22-Jun-2013, 15:35
Thanks for all your good works and best wishes in the future.

Ari
18-Jul-2013, 18:56
Thank you, Kirk, and enjoy life untethered!

Shootar401
18-Jul-2013, 19:09
I never understood the reason for moderating a discussion forum. It doesn't matter if its a photography website, cars, neo-nazi, or fashion & clothing. Forums are about the sharing and discussion of knowledge and ideas.

I guess most forums need mods to keep weak people from getting their feelings hurt.

But anyway, good luck Kirk!

John Olsen
18-Jul-2013, 20:10
I never understood the reason for moderating a discussion forum. It doesn't matter if its a photography website, cars, neo-nazi, or fashion & clothing. Forums are about the sharing and discussion of knowledge and ideas.

I guess most forums need mods to keep weak people from getting their feelings hurt.

But anyway, good luck Kirk!

The purpose of the mods is to make sure that the forums do share ideas and knowledge. Unfortunately, some people mistake whatever is going through their head for knowledge or ideas, which may be disruptive to the forum's purpose. The mods do a good job keeping the exchange civil and informative. References to "weak people" are kind of odd in this context. All of the mods are doing an important job. Thanks kirk.

Kirk Gittings
18-Jul-2013, 20:12
Thanks John!

bob carnie
19-Jul-2013, 05:27
So how has your life changed since resigning from moderation?

Thanks John!

Kirk Gittings
19-Jul-2013, 05:39
Well I definitely feel like it has freed up mental energy and time. I miss having the control where I can go back and correct my stupid writing mistakes forever and the ability to "see" deleted posts and threads. But honestly, while I'm glad I did it. I don't miss it at all. I thought I would.

Racer X 69
23-Jul-2013, 08:58
Well I definitely feel like it has freed up mental energy and time. I miss having the control where I can go back and correct my stupid writing mistakes forever and the ability to "see" deleted posts and threads. But honestly, while I'm glad I did it. I don't miss it at all. I thought I would.

Well Kirk, I am but a n00b here, but having been a m0dUlAt0r on other forums I can say that I know how you feel. The duties are thankless, and all too often misunderstood by the general forum membership. People act as if you are some kind of Superhuman Internet being or something. And when the whiners don't get their way you are the first to hear about it.

Indeed, the ability to go back and edit one's mistakes discovered days or even weeks later is nice. And being able to see the behind he scenes stuff is also helpful.

I'm still getting familiar with this forum, the members, and the 1,006,318 posts and 95,521 threads. Lots to read here. I joined up to become more familiar with LF photography, and this forum looked (albeit from the outside) as the best one on the interwwebs to do so.

So cheers!

Have a beer on me.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h194/racerx6948/Forum%20How%20To/ultimate-chemistry-by-prof-aggy-march-calendar-2010-final-ch-demotivational-poster-1270092801_zps286dd518.jpg

Go ahead, choose whichever one suits your chemical makeup.

Best regards,
Racer

Michael Kadillak
21-Sep-2013, 09:02
Thanks for your contribution Kirk. Best to you in your future endeavors and if you ever get to Denver lets have lunch.

Kirk Gittings
21-Sep-2013, 09:12
Thanks. Yes I would like that. I am embarrassed to say that I get to Denver regularly as two of my kids and all my grandkids live in Denver plus my youngest daughters husband is from Denver. Seem s my time is always taken by family stuff. But yes I would love to get together.

Michael Kadillak
21-Sep-2013, 09:54
Thanks. Yes I would like that. I am embarrassed to say that I get to Denver regularly as two of my kids and all my grandkids live in Denver plus my youngest daughters husband is from Denver. Seem s my time is always taken by family stuff. But yes I would love to get together.

Understand completely and the door is always open. Family and particularly grandchildren are things you never can have enough time with. I would also like to see if you could break away for an hour or so to attend one of our Denver large format group meetings that take place the second Saturday morning of each month so keep that in mind. We have a great mix of LF and ULF photographers and an energetic and very productive print showing and discussion. Great group of guys.

Cheers!

Kirk Gittings
21-Sep-2013, 10:32
I will actually be in Denver for the October one. So I will give it a try. Could you email me a reminder maybe a week before?

Mark Sawyer
21-Sep-2013, 11:40
And if you're ever in Tucson... :)

Kirk Gittings
21-Sep-2013, 11:45
Before the recession I used to do a fair amount of commercial work in Tuscon and Phoenix. It has dried up for now but when it comes back I'll surely give you a buzz.

I just met up with Rick Denney here for a hurried breakfast on Friday. What a treat. What a great guy. And we talked about other things than the forum and photography!

JMB
21-Sep-2013, 14:38
The purpose of the mods is to make sure that the forums do share ideas and knowledge.

Lord, what a massive point miss.

Michael Kadillak
21-Sep-2013, 15:32
You got it. I will.

rdenney
21-Sep-2013, 15:53
I just met up with Rick Denney here for a hurried breakfast on Friday. What a treat. What a great guy. And we talked about other things than the forum and photography!

Yeah, I was glad we were able to make the last-minute squeeze in our schedules--the only thing I regretted about our conversation was how soon it had to end. I usually have zero time for visiting when I travel, despite that I travel all the time. You are not nearly as fierce in person as your recent publicity photo:)

Next time I'm in NM, I'll try to give more notice.

Rick "who also made it to the show in Santa Fe, against all expectations" Denney

AtlantaTerry
21-Sep-2013, 15:53
Kirk,

Even though I am fairly new here, I also appreciate your work.

Don't be a stranger.

Best,
Terry

Kirk Gittings
21-Sep-2013, 16:53
You are not nearly as fierce in person as your recent publicity photo

That is the second time in a week I have heard something similar to that on a forum. The other was in relation to my recent video interview.

BillyWalker
22-Sep-2013, 08:58
This is a real problem. Now that we have the internet and everyone has become democratized and virtually anyone can become a "reporter" and/or a participant we need to realize there are responsibilities with that. How often do we see pure stupidity written by people on a forum? No respect for the opinions of others and just plain rudeness occur so often. It's no wonder newspapers and other publications need to moderate the responses. We seem to be dealing with a world full of folks who have no clue on how to respond to others.

Same with reviews. Going out to dinner at a restaurant you've never been to before doesn't grant you the right to slam the restaurant based on a single meal. Especially when others write the opposite. If you're going to review a business don't you think you may need 3 to 5 purchases before you really have a handle on how they do things? I work in motorcycles and our reviews are excellent. However, we had a gentleman slam us because we had zero bad reviews so he openly stated we must be submitting our own reviews. Now it seems to me if you feel that way you need to investigate further to determine if your opinion is correct. Why slam someone over something you haven't proven?

There are many folks out there that really need to examine what they put out to the public prior to becoming a "reporter". Any legitimate news organization will make an attempt to ferret out the facts. Internet reporters have no less of a responsibility. It is irresponsible to blindly state something that cannot be proven. To have someone such as Kirk Gittings leave a position due to a number of ignorant responders is just not right. I realize this post will be meaningless to the folks it is aimed at. And that is very sad.

ROL
22-Sep-2013, 16:09
...The other was in relation to my recent video interview.

+1. I had kept my big fat mouth shut, but seriously, you need a new portrait/avatar photographer. I can say this now because since seeing the video, I'm no longer afraid of you :D.

Kirk Gittings
22-Sep-2013, 17:18
Not that I give a rats's ass, but unlike some here I prefer to talk from actual personal experience-not stuff I've heard, not stuff I've read or "think" should work, but actual experience. AND yes I share what I'm up to photographically because unlike some here I actually DO large format photography. Wow, what utterly novel ideas in the internet age.

Jim Jones
22-Sep-2013, 17:45
I'm with Kirk. However, sometimes a link to a prime source will answer the questions for which one has no actual experience. The ideal function of this site is information and inspiration. Occasional clever entertainment is also valuable. Whatever provides this service should be welcome. Present and past moderators have done well in encouraging all of this.

sanking
22-Sep-2013, 17:57
I'm with Kirk. However, sometimes a link to a prime source will answer the questions for which one has no actual experience. The ideal function of this site is information and inspiration. Occasional clever entertainment is also valuable. Whatever provides this service should be welcome. Present and past moderators have done well in encouraging all of this.

Well, if anyone has any interest in dispersion and longitudinal chromatic aberration in fish eyes here is a good link.

http://www.opticsinfobase.org/josaa/abstract.cfm?uri=josaa-13-12-2341

Of possible interest to those who photograph with pinholes?

Sandy

Kirk Gittings
22-Sep-2013, 19:35
I should have been more specific. I'm really referring to people who pass off read material, other's experience etc. as their own experience. I fondly remember how Jorge was so good at nailing people on this.