PDA

View Full Version : How much deskspace for a Precision II?

SeanEsopenko
21-May-2013, 12:58
How much desk space does the Flextight Precision II require to operate? I'm trying to figure out if I have room at my current workstation for one or whether I'd have to get more shelving/table space.

Richard Wasserman
21-May-2013, 14:34
The Precision II has about a 13x14" footprint. I use mine with an older iMac on a table that is 22"x34"—it's a bit tight, but works OK.

SeanEsopenko
21-May-2013, 14:36
The Precision II has about a 13x14" footprint. I use mine with an older iMac on a table that is 22"x34"—it's a bit tight, but works OK.

Thanks for the info. Do you use it with a Mac because you're familiar with Mac or does the software work better with an Apple computer than Windows? Do you have any advice to give when looking for one?

jslabovitz
21-May-2013, 14:41
The scanner itself is only about 12" square, and about twice that in height. You don't need any clearance on the sides or in the back, assuming the cables aren't being bent.

I've never found the built-in "light table" to be very useful, so I like to have a small (8x12") lightbox sitting next to the scanner, so figure another foot for that. And with additional table space for negative envelopes & sleeves, anti-static brush, etc., it usually comes out to about three linear feet, total.

Richard Wasserman
21-May-2013, 15:55
I suggest that you sign up with the Imaconusers group on Yahoo. It is a very knowledgeable group that is happy to assist in any way they can—sort of like here only with less activity. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/imaconusers They can answer all of your questions more definitively and with greater authority than I can. I am working from memory, but I believe the driver software for the older scanners was Mac only. I had an iMac sitting around so I didn't need to think about what computer to use. You will also need a Ratoc SCSI to Firewire adapter. I think these may no longer be made and you'll have to find one on the used market. Hasselblad services these scanners, and I understand that they can be very helpful. I had a less than stellar experience with them when they were moving their service department and personally would only use them as a last resort. Good luck, they are nice scanners that are comparatively easy and fast to use.