PDA

View Full Version : Ilford 2013 Special Order window open until end of June

Richard Raymond
21-May-2013, 08:43
Folks,
Link to the Ilford announcement on special order window now open. I would guess that the dealers have pricing up for this. Delivery is in September.
Ric

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/pressroom/article.asp?n=164

Tin Can
21-May-2013, 09:53
I notice some pricing anomalies. Mostly the pricing is very directly related to film area, but there are a few deals in the structure, if you are willing to cut film...

I know that the whole idea is to buy the format one needs, but a deal is a deal.

Curt
21-May-2013, 12:36
That's great, the windows is open right now?! How long do I have?

Randy, again you present another great idea! 16x20, 14x17, cut it down to what you want and enjoy the economy of scale.

Tin Can
21-May-2013, 13:43
The ordering window opens on Monday 13th May and will run until Friday 28th June 2013.

That's great, the windows is open right now?! How long do I have?

Randy, again you present another great idea! 16x20, 14x17, cut it down to what you want and enjoy the economy of scale.

Curt
21-May-2013, 15:26
The ordering window opens on Monday 13th May and will run until Friday 28th June 2013.

That doesn't leave much time does it?

Tin Can
21-May-2013, 15:41
It's enough, they do it once a year, and deliver 3 months later.

I think it is a fantastic opportunity!

Some people shoot some odd formats.

Ilford is the only company actually trying to make the film customer happy.

Screw Kodak and Fuji, they simply no longer care.

That doesn't leave much time does it?

Daniel Stone
22-May-2013, 09:25
It's enough, they do it once a year, and deliver 3 months later.

I think it is a fantastic opportunity!

Some people shoot some odd formats.

Ilford is the only company actually trying to make the film customer happy.

Screw Kodak and Fuji, they simply no longer care.

I wouldn't say that there aren't people at Fuji & Kodak who CARE about film and its dedicated user groups, but Fuji & Kodak are publicly traded companies, that means they have shareholders to report to. Ilford, IIRC, is "privately"? owned, so they can dedicate time/energy & resources to making products that the "Big 2" simply cannot justify the time for.
Kodaks primary film customers is the motion picture industry, they purchase way more $$$-wise than us still shooters. We're crumbs compared to their loaf, so too speak.
But Kodak WILL cut any of its emulsions that are available in sheet form to whatever size your heart desires; IF YOU HAVE THE CASH. Plain and simple. Just look at Canham cameras' Facebook page, they've run special orders for many worldwide customers, and have had tremendous results with such.

The main issue of Kodak vs Ilford is that Kodak's production facility was built for MASSIVE scale production. Ilford's machine(s) can make much smaller batches at a time. Kinda like running a tugboat vs running an ocean liner. The bigger one is harder to steer quickly, and cannot just "turn on a dime" like the smaller ones can.

Dan

Tin Can
22-May-2013, 09:46
Yes, I am sure that is all true, but Kodak ruled the World and screwed it up. Happens all the time with 'too big to think' companies. I was in the automotive business, I was personally devastated by 'shareholders'.

Now I shoot pictures and mumble..

I wouldn't say that there aren't people at Fuji & Kodak who CARE about film and its dedicated user groups, but Fuji & Kodak are publicly traded companies, that means they have shareholders to report to. Ilford, IIRC, is "privately"? owned, so they can dedicate time/energy & resources to making products that the "Big 2" simply cannot justify the time for.
Kodaks primary film customers is the motion picture industry, they purchase way more $$$-wise than us still shooters. We're crumbs compared to their loaf, so too speak.
But Kodak WILL cut any of its emulsions that are available in sheet form to whatever size your heart desires; IF YOU HAVE THE CASH. Plain and simple. Just look at Canham cameras' Facebook page, they've run special orders for many worldwide customers, and have had tremendous results with such.

The main issue of Kodak vs Ilford is that Kodak's production facility was built for MASSIVE scale production. Ilford's machine(s) can make much smaller batches at a time. Kinda like running a tugboat vs running an ocean liner. The bigger one is harder to steer quickly, and cannot just "turn on a dime" like the smaller ones can.

Dan

Oren Grad
22-May-2013, 09:54

To provide a bit more detail here, Harman's coating machine is a city block long, too. The main issue with the sheet film special orders isn't coating the master rolls, it's how nimble the manufacturer is able and willing to be with the sheet film cutting machine. It's in this area especially that Harman has bent over backward to accommodate our tiny special interest community.

Daniel Stone
22-May-2013, 10:00
There's also the issue here than Kodak & Fuji are the only ones making color film in LF sizes.

I shoot LF(4x5 and 8x10, but converting to 5x7 now) film, primarily color. So those are my only two options atm, so I have to choose to take less pictures because of the higher cost involved vs B/W materials. But that's fine by me. Less pictures, but it also allows me to really focus(no pun intended) on the pictures I'm making, and if I feel strongly enough about them to justify spending $10-15 per shot.
I feel it's made me a better photographer, and that mentality has also translated into my use of MF and digital, and not just 'clicking away' haphazardly.

:)

DennisD
22-May-2013, 10:07
It's in this area especially that Harman has bent over backward to accommodate our tiny special interest community.

Hopefully it's worthwhile enough to Ilford / Harman to continue this accommodation for the "longer term" !