PDA

View Full Version : How to open a dial set compur shutter?

manggokhs
21-May-2013, 07:39
Hello guys, I am new to this forum :)

Having problems with my dial set compur shutter, i am thinking of stripping it down for a repair.
However, it seems that reaching the back of the shutter is quite tough.
That is, even by unscrewing the four screws which holds the back plate of the shutter(see attached pic), i could not just get it off.

would there be any solution?

Jon Shiu
21-May-2013, 09:28
What are you trying to fix? Normally, to service most shutters you would take the face plate off to service.

Jon

Louis Pacilla
21-May-2013, 10:58
You may want to take a look at this booklet "Photographic Inter-lens shutter repair of 1917". It will give you a bit of understanding on how to get to the works of the
d s Compur shutter.

Just scroll down until you find the d s Compur
Found at Camera Eccentric
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/repair_1.html

manggokhs
22-May-2013, 10:01
What are you trying to fix? Normally, to service most shutters you would take the face plate off to service.

Jon

the shutter blades do not open smoothly at D and Z setting. plus, the blades do not close at all without switching to M setting and cocking the shutter. I find the ring that turns around in the shutter mechanism quite stiff, even after lubing it.

manggokhs
22-May-2013, 10:03
You may want to take a look at this booklet "Photographic Inter-lens shutter repair of 1917". It will give you a bit of understanding on how to get to the works of the
d s Compur shutter.

Just scroll down until you find the d s Compur
Found at Camera Eccentric
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/repair_1.html

thanks! i could finally open the back. though, another problem showed up :(

E. von Hoegh
22-May-2013, 10:07
http://flutotscamerarepair.com/

Jon Shiu
22-May-2013, 10:08
Hi, to open the shutter: rotate the black face plate until it lines up with the slots and you can lift it off. Usually there is a screw that prevents rotation, underneath the aperture scale. Another model has a little cam that stops rotation. Then take off the speed ring and you can get inside.

Jon

E. von Hoegh
22-May-2013, 10:10
Hi, to open the shutter: rotate the black face plate until it lines up with the slots and you can lift it off. Usually there is a screw that prevents rotation, underneath the aperture scale. Another model has a little cam that stops rotation. Then take off the speed ring and you can get inside.

Jon

Jon, it's a dial set not a rim set.

Jon Shiu
22-May-2013, 10:13
Jon, it's a dial set not a rim set.

Oh, yeah, well then forget what I said.

You would need to take off the top dial and cocking lever to get in.

Jon

manggokhs
22-May-2013, 10:28
After opening the back of this shutter, i had to face another problem.

the ring in the picture is what moves the shutter blades. The blades open and close as the ring turns around within the shutter.

i found out that the ring moves quite stiffly, and this is what caused problems in my shutter. What should i do to free it up? lighter fluid works only for a few hours, and sewing oil just doesnt work... should i use graphite on it, or just grind the surface a little bit?

E. von Hoegh
22-May-2013, 10:32
Do yourself a big favor, and send it to someone who services shutters. See my post above for a link.

IanG
22-May-2013, 10:33
The 1917 publication Louis linked to is quite useful, it enabled me to fix a Velosto which wasn't functioning, and also an Optimo (the Velosto is the export version of the Optimo).

Ian

manggokhs
22-May-2013, 10:45
Do yourself a big favor, and send it to someone who services shutters. See my post above for a link.

I dont live in the US :p ...and as i find it cheaper buying another shutter without lens rather than sending it to service men, i would prefer trying to fix it by myself.

E. von Hoegh
22-May-2013, 11:01
I dont live in the US :p ...and as i find it cheaper buying another shutter without lens rather than sending it to service men, i would prefer trying to fix it by myself.

Then your best bet is to find and study the service instructions. http://www.scribd.com/doc/27578948/edward-ed-romney-revised-trade-secrets-basic-training-in-camera-repair

manggokhs
23-May-2013, 20:28
the manual doesnt cover dial set compur. but thanks anyway :)

manggokhs
23-May-2013, 20:29
problem solved: I cleaned off every bit of 'lube' I had applied on the ring, and it works without any problem!

E. von Hoegh
24-May-2013, 07:04
the manual doesnt cover dial set compur. but thanks anyway :)

The mechanisms are very similar, until you get to the Synchro-Compur. And the proper procedures for servicing are identical.