PDA

View Full Version : Shen-Hao camera again

Aaron_3437
14-Jun-2004, 07:28
Today I am delighted to received the beautiful Shen-Hao 5x7 camera. It is very well made. Just a bit heavier than I thought.

Kerry Thalmann, if you are reading this post, I'd like to let you know that the camera indeed accepts the smaller Linhof Tech. board. It comes with the Linhof board adaptor. Hope this helps.

Since a manual is not provided, I have a few questions that I hope folks here could help me with:-

1. Where is the zero point for vertical shift? 2. Is it normal for the front shift movement to be very tight? It seems that the two metal pieces are brushing against each other so hard that scratches are not avoidable. Yes, the lever is released. 3. How do I fold the camera back to closed position? I've never used a folding camera before.

If anyone knows of a website that shows a step-by-step operation of the Shen-Hao camera, please let me know. Thanks.

Sidney Cammeresi
14-Jun-2004, 08:33
How big is the lensboard for a 5x7 Shen-Hao? Would it be possible for one to be made to accomodate a 139x139mm Sinar lensboard?

(My other two cameras are a Sinar F2 and a Wisner 11x14 which was made to use Sinar lensboards, and it's nice to have a standard (pun intended) between one's cameras.)

Aaron_3437
14-Jun-2004, 09:06
Sidney, yes, the Shen Hao 5x7 lensboard opening is 139 x 139mm.

Ken Lee
14-Jun-2004, 09:29
May I ask, is there a non-Mandarin page which describes the Shen-hao 5x7 ? I am interested in the bellows draw: how long is it ?

sanking
14-Jun-2004, 12:14
Page for Shen-Hao cameras is http://www.shen-hao.com/

Bellows draw of the 5X7 Shen-Hao is 600mm.

Ernest Purdum
14-Jun-2004, 12:56
Reegarding question 1. Ususally the bellows will do this for you if you set the camera to the widest angle position with the front rise loose. Look at the bellows folds. If they converge at top or bottom, adjust the front rise until they are parallel. Regarding question 2. Maybe the lock needs adjusting. I'e had the opposite problem with old cameras. Re 3. I haven't found aan illustration of the 5X7, but looking at the 8X10, it would seem to fold in the usual manner of wooden field cameras. With the back slid all the way to the rear you loosen the front tilt adjustments and fold the front supports backward, letting the lensboard point down so that the bellows are making a 90 degree bend and the lensboard fits into the space between the rails. If anything seems stiff, stop and find out what's wrong. There is no danger of damaging anything if done carefully, but forcing it can cause problems.

Charles Hohenstein
14-Jun-2004, 15:35
Aaron, did you order this directly from China, or did you find a dealer who stocks them?

Also, did you get the 4x5 reducing back?

Charles Hohenstein

Aaron_3437
14-Jun-2004, 17:29
Charles, direct from manufacturer. Contact Mr Zhang Fuming. Response is sometimes slow (several days) but Mr Zhang is reliable. He isn't very good in his English, so be patient. Web address can be found above. Waiting time is approx. 2 months. as the 5x7 is non-stocked item. 4x5 cameras shouldn't be a problem. No, I didn't buy a reducing back. 5x7 contact is an ideal size for me. Recently I read in a post that the reducing back costs USD100. Good luck!

Ernest, thanks for the description. I hope that helps me.

Bob._3483
14-Jun-2004, 18:04
http://www.shen-hao.com/images/new2.jpg As a picture of the 5x7 is proving a bit elusive, I've linked to one on the shen-hao.com site. Looking at the 5x7 it would appear Ernest's description of how to fold it is correct.

The 4x5 has a different geometry on the front standard. On the 4x5, you just loosen the locks, push the front standard back and the front standard drops down with the world's largest forward tilt to allow you to close the camera...

Cheers,

sanking
14-Jun-2004, 18:27
"2. Is it normal for the front shift movement to be very tight?"

When I first received my 5X7 Shenhao the front shift was rather tight. I lubricated it, and other metal to metal parts of the camera, with a fine oil called "Huile de Jojoba." You can find it at many health food stores. Others fine lubricating oils should work but I particulary like the qualities of this one. Use it spararingly as only a very small amount is required for any given location.

Aaron_3437
14-Jun-2004, 23:25
Ernest & Bob, I'm finally able to close the camera with the help of your description. Now for the practice...

Sandy, thanks again. That helps too.