PDA

View Full Version : 41mm filters

tim atherton
13-Jun-2004, 09:59
Does anyone know of any place selling 41mm screw in filters? Mainly for black and white - red, orange, yellow green etc - the basics.

B+W lists that they make these, but I can't seem to find anyone stocking them?

thanks

paul owen
13-Jun-2004, 10:02
What lens is it for Tim? The reason I ask is that 40.5mm filters are easier to get hold of and I know of several lenses that use this size but never come across a 41mm thread? Just a thought - could you be looking for a 40.5mm?

Bob Salomon
13-Jun-2004, 10:03
Heliopan makes them but they are special order. Delivery would be about 30 days from a dealer's order.

tim atherton
13-Jun-2004, 10:12
The Kowa 210mm f6.8 doesn't really have a filter thread - what it has is the end of the thread that the front element retaining ring screws in via. I origionally thought it was probably 40.5, but it's not. A 41mm filter will screw in and there is about enough thread to hold it.

I do have a 41mm to 49mm adapter, but by the time you have that on + a filter you start to lose movement as it vignettes into the image circle quite a bit. Using just a filter and no ring would reduce that effect somewhat.

Bob Fowler
13-Jun-2004, 12:35
I do have a 41mm to 49mm adapter, but by the time you have that on + a filter you start to lose movement as it vignettes into the image circle quite a bit. Using just a filter and no ring would reduce that effect somewhat.

I have a similar problem with my 90mm f/8 Ilex-Calumet Wide Field Caltar. The front group doesn't really have filter threads. I get around this problem because I use Series VIII filters (I've collected sets of filters in series sizes VI, VII, and VII over the years). I put the filter between two retaining rings and attach it to the front group with two short pirces of electrical tape. Rather low-tech, but it works fine.

Rory_3532
13-Jun-2004, 12:53
Tim,

On a recent trip to New York, I discovered that neither B&H nor Adorama keep many B+W or Heliopan filters in stock. I also tried other stores in New York and discovered that finding a specific B+W or Heliopan filter is very hit and miss. At the Adorama store, this was explained on the ground that the vast majority of people buy less expensive brands. I subsequently sent an e-mail to Bob Salomon, who quickly replied and suggested, as he has to you, that you special order through the retailer. What you are discovering is not unique to this particular size thread.

Darin Cozine
13-Jun-2004, 21:59
Tim, I would think that a 41mm filter would limit movement just as much as the 41->49mm adapter+filter. Might I suggest using a slim 49mm filter or having the SK Grimes crew make you a slip-on adapter for a 58mm or 67mm?

tim atherton
13-Jun-2004, 22:22
I'd consider the Grimes option, but unfortunately the turnaround on the last two occassions I sent lenses in was 6 weeks + and I can't afford to have the lens away that long - need to make money form it :-)

Scott Walton
14-Jun-2004, 10:04
Before you purchase, go to a good photo store in your area and go to the video dept. Tim. Ask them for a standard 40.5mm and see if that isn't the correct size. If it is, you'll save a boat load of cash I pressume.

tim atherton
14-Jun-2004, 10:12
sorry scott (apart from not have a good photo store in my area - it's at least 1000 miles away....) I already have a couple of 40.5 filters left over from Minolta lenses (I think) - it's 41mm alright - seeing as how the 41mm adapter ring fits.... :-)

Hans Berkhout
14-Jun-2004, 13:41
Assuming this is for a viewcamera. Can't you slip a gel or acetrate filter behind the lens? If the rear element doesn't protrude too much it might be workable. It should be kept in place by your bellows pleats, unless you create a lot of jarring while handling your film holders.

Jim Galli
14-Jun-2004, 20:06
Tim, You'll vignette very quickly with 40.5 / 41. I took apart a collapsible 49mm rubber lens shade, pulled the rubber out of it (optional but it was shot) and slid that sleeve over the front barrel back to front. It is a perfect "fit" and gives me a 49mm filter thread. I then go immediately 49-67mm for my filters because I don't want to lose any of that hard won wideness.