PDA

View Full Version : View or Field Camera? On which type did you start?

Sharon S.
12-Jun-2004, 09:32
First off, this website is wonderfully insightful and informative AND the participants are all so helpful...kudos.

I recently started in LF using a view camera (monorail) and am in love with it. I'm eventually going to get a field camera as well. I was just wondering (1) on which camera did you learn, (2) did you end up getting the other type, and (3) which do you use the most?

Ernest Purdum
12-Jun-2004, 09:51
I started with a field camera (a then new, but now ancient Ikeda Anbawhich I still have), but have never been a backpacker, and at 75 am not going to start now. I later went to a monorail which gave me a longer extension, more movements and a larger lensboard. When I don't need these I still use the field camera, but I do use the monorail more, largely because many of my subjects are small. I am sure the opposite is true for many people.

Deniz
12-Jun-2004, 10:12
I started on a graflex crown graphic then got a Ikeda Anba woodfield, which is my primary camera right now if i feel like shooting tiny 4x5s :) .

KenM
12-Jun-2004, 10:15
I started with a Calumet 45N, moved to a Toyo 45AII, then a Gandolfi Variant Level III, and finally, a Linhof Master Technika.

I'm done now :-)

Bruce Watson
12-Jun-2004, 10:18
The only LF camera I've ever owned is a field monorail from Toho:

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm

Extremely light weight, and extremely flexible (full movements front and back). Like every camera, it has it quirks. But if you like a monorail, and want a field camera, you might consider one of these.

Chris Gittins
12-Jun-2004, 10:44
My first camera was a monorail, a Calumet Cadet. It was inexpensive and had all the movements I could ever want. The Cadet was a bit of a hassle to carry in the field. I do relatively little non-field work, so I decided last fall to get a field camera. I used a Graflex Super Graphic for a little longer than I can hold my breath. It was a decent camera but didn't feel as sturdy as I wanted. (That may have had more to do with the particular Super I had rather than Supers in general.) I traded it in and bought a Wista metal field. Even though metal fields are a bit heavier than wood fields "hard to damage" was a much more important selection criterion for me. (I spend a fair amount of time climbing over moss and sea spray covered rocks to set up shots. Slipping and falling with gear in hand is a regular occurence.) I got the Wista six or seven months ago and haven't used the Cadet since. It doesn't allow as much movement as the Cadet, but it has far more than I'll ever use. My longest lens is a 210, so bellows draw has never been an issue either.

Chris

Andrew O'Neill
12-Jun-2004, 10:45
I learnt on a beat up old 4x5 Cambo. I used it outdoors and quickly it became a pain lugging it around. I picked up an old Linhof Tech IV field camera. Nice and compact. Used that for a few years then moved up to 8x10. I now use a Canham light weight. Field cameras are ideal for bush work. I can carry lots of stuff around and not be bothered. The Cambo is sitting in its case in the trunk of my old BMW in Japan at my wife's relatives' (seriously!) and I would probably never use it again.

David R Munson
12-Jun-2004, 10:50
Started with a Bender 4x5 that I built. It was a fun project, but got more fun out of building it than I got out of using it. About 6 months later I bought a used Linhof Kardan Bi from Midwest Photo and have been using it as my 4x5 since then. I've had it about 6 years now, I guess. I'm so used to it I don't have to think about anything when I'm using it. I guess that's a good sign. Never did get used to the Toyo's at school. When I was 18 I got a used Deardorff 8x10, which I guess means I've had it about 4 1/2 years now. It's probably my favorite camera in the world to use, though with the way things have worked out, I've used it maybe twice in the last two years. Right now it's languishing in my parents' basement two states away in Missouri. I've really got to find some darkroom space here and start using it again...

David R Munson
12-Jun-2004, 10:53
Um, yeah....that is to say monorail, monorail, field. Both designs suit me quite well for what I use them for.

Bill_1856
12-Jun-2004, 11:00
My first camera (1950) was a 9x12 cm folding bellows camera made by Gaumont & Cie, Paris, in rosewood and brass. It had been "liberated" in WW2, and the original 135mm Tessar was long gone. I found a beautiful coated 150mm Steinheil Unifokal in Press Compur to fit it, and ordered a 3.25x4.25 film pack adapter, and a 120 roll film holder from Haber & Fink (6x6 or 6x9), and had a surplus Hugo Meyer coupled rangefinder fitted. A year later I started clerking in a local Photo store, and traded the thing for a 35mm Tower/Nicca (Leica 3a copy with 50mm Nikkor lens). In 1953 my best friend gave me a brand new Graphic View II monorail. I wish, oh how I wish, that I still that beautiful old 9x12 plate camera!

steve simmons
12-Jun-2004, 11:39
Before buying a camera may I suggest some of the articles in the free section of our web site

www.viewcamera.com

also one or more of these books

User's Guide to theView Camera by Jim Stone

Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga

Using the View Camera that I wrote for Amphoto

When people give you advice they really should tell you two things

1. what range of lenses they use 2. what subjects they photograph

as these will make a difference in what they use and what you will want to use

feel free to ask me any uestions

steve immons publisher view camera magazine

Francis Abad
12-Jun-2004, 12:04
Wisner 8x10 Expedition field camera was my first and still is my only camera. Briefly had a Master Technica 2000 but gave it up as it was gathering dust. Francesco (www.cicoli.com)

paul owen
12-Jun-2004, 12:16
I've only owned field cameras, first an Ebony 45SW and now an Ebony 45SU. Each type (monorail and field) have their own set of advantages/disadvantages. Good luck with LF!

Janko Belaj
12-Jun-2004, 13:29
I have started with view camera 2 years ago... I wanted to buy wooden field camera, but suddenly there were one new but with fine discount Sinar f1, so, after examination of its possibilities with this one, I choose a new Sinar. And didn't regret it. But, after few months photographing mostly architecture for my 1st large exhibition, I placed that Sinar in Lowepro backpack... ouuuch!
Few days ago I bought new Tachihara (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/498771.html:))) but, as it is brand new and I took only one shot with it so far, I can't answer on 3th part of your question. Anyway, I do believe that I will use Sinar for job assignments (let say 3 or 4 months in year producing about 60-80 final shots) and the rest of time I hope to use Tachihara producing... well, we will se what will came in front of my eyes or what good will my eyes found....

David G. Gagnon
12-Jun-2004, 13:48
Welcome to the world of large format, Sharon!

I started off with a Graflex Speed Graphic, but soon got a Calumet woodfield 4x5 because of the limitations of movements (and weight) of the speed graphic. Then a Graflex Graphic View (monorail) came across my path. I didn't keep that long because of the sheer bulkiness of it. It would have worked fine (for me) in a studio, but not out trecking in the field. A Deardorff V8 was next for me, so currently I own a speed graphic, which never gets used, and the 4x5 Calumet woodfield and Deardorff V8 (8x10) which sadly, don't get used enough.

If I were going to be doing a lot of studio work, I'd have a monorail, offering almost limitless movements, and because weight and bulk wouldn't be an issue. 99% of my shooting is outdoors so I prefer the small "package" that a modern woodfield folds up into, strictly for convenience sake.

Maybe what you're shooting won't require you to buy two cameras. Then you can use the money that you saved to buy another lens or extra film holders.

Good luck, and again, welcome!

DG

Ralph Barker
12-Jun-2004, 14:05
Let me echo the welcome to the wonderful world of large format, Sharon.

I started on what might be called a camera memoranda view. We would view the animals in the field, and then go into our caves in the south of France, and paint them on the walls. ;-)

Seriously, I, too, started with an old monorail 4x5, graduated to a more modern and stable 4x5 monorail (Toyo), and added a Toyo 45AX field camera later (after I became completely convinced that taking a monorail into the field was a real pain). I've since added a Tachihara 8x10 field (double extension to conserve weight) and a Toyo 810G monorail for studio use. I made a 4x5 reducing back for the Tachihara, and a lens board adapter for it, too. So now, virtually all lenses are on 110mm Toyo boards that work on everything.

Out of the whole batch, I use the two field cameras more than either of the monorails - simply due to convenience and lesser weight. The monorails come into play only when extreme movements or extra long bellows extension are needed.

Leonard Evens
12-Jun-2004, 14:07
I echo what Hogarth has said. My only 4 x 5 camera is a Toho FC-45X. It is extremely light, comes apart easily for transport, and has a fairly full range of front and rear movements. Badger Graphics is now selling a Chinese clone of the Toho for about 3/4 the price. It is certainly worth considering. You can find a detailed review of the camera at www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm

Bill_1856
12-Jun-2004, 14:58
Ralph, I've seen those cave paintings, and must say: You're no Picasso!

Ralph Barker
12-Jun-2004, 15:02
That's OK, Bill. Gnawing on the end of a stick to make a brush has its limitations. (I was way too chicken to pluck hairs from a mammoth to make a real brush.) ;-)

Bob Fowler
12-Jun-2004, 17:32
My first large format camera was a Pacemaker Crown Graphic back in 1975. In the mid-80's came an 8X10 Deardorf and a 5X7 B&J flatbed, followed by some Graflex Graphic View II's which I used for many, many years. The 'dorff was stolen from my truck back in 1988, along with 3 lenses, my Pentax spotmeter, and a dozen holders.

About 14 or 15 years ago, I bought a 5X7 Eastman #2 which is now my primary camera for portraiture. Last year, I bought a Toyo D45A, a D45E, and a few months back, a D45M - all of which replaced my Graphic View II's. There have been a few others along the way, but nothing that I really liked - i.e. some old Calumet monorails.

I've become a huge fan of Toyo monorails in the last year. Yes, they're heavy to carry in the field (I did that today, and I'm beat!), but they've become like old friends...

Ben Calwell
12-Jun-2004, 18:12
I started in large format using a Calumet CC400 monorail that had 22 inches of bellows draw. I got it brand new from Calumet in 1982 as a kit that included a 210mm lens, dark cloth and case. I used it as "field" camera, carrying it not far my car. I then bought a Wista DX rosewood 4x5, which I still have. I must say, though, that I've never really warmed up to the Wista. I've always missed the feel and precision of a monorail. And in many ways, the Calumet was faster and easier to set up in the field. With the lens on it, I would just take it out of the case, attach it to the tripod, and I was ready to go. In fact, I'm thinking of trading in my Wista on a good monorail, probably a used Sinar.

MattO
12-Jun-2004, 18:15
My first LF camera was an old B&J 5x7 field that I totally rebuilt. As I was not able to buy new gear, I was able to get into LF on the cheap. Over the years I gradually moved from one type of field camera to another. I don't do any indoor work at all, so I have always had weight and bulk to consider. I have owned B&J, Graflex, Busch, Tachihara, Shen Hao and Zone VI. - mostly 4x5 I like to play around with 8x10 pinhole too.

Robert Skeoch
12-Jun-2004, 18:29
I started off in college with a monorail. It was an Arca Swiss, we all had to buy one. We shot mostly studio products and buildings. Now I shoot just for myself, mostly rocks and roots and the occasional cala lily in the studio. I use a 8x10 wisner mostly, but also have a 4x5 wisner. I wouldn't switch back to a mono rail, although I have considered the metal field cameras.

Jeff Moore
12-Jun-2004, 18:47
When I first got into large-format I was so anxious to get started, I made the bonehead move of buying before doing sufficient research. Truthfully, I didn't do any research. I bought a monorail camera, a Sinar F 4x5. It was so ill-suited to the type photography I like to do, to this day it remains the dumbest purchase I have ever made. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the camera; it was just not what I needed. I never use it; it's sitting in a box in my closet. I suppose I should sell it, but I just have never gotten around to doing so. I now use a Wisner Expedition, which is perfect for me.

Lesson learned? Look before you leap.

Frank Petronio
12-Jun-2004, 19:05
I started with a wooden Wista and one lens, and it was a great way to learn. Later I got a Rittreck 5x7 and then a Wista SP. They were all great cameras. Eventually I got a Sinar for studio work, and I found that I was using more movements, more often, because, with a monorail, it was easier. Not that I couldn't make all the moves I really needed on the field cameras... but the monorail "encouraged" me to make more moves and to experiment more. Since then I've had a lot of cameras, but in general I'd say monorails are better for learning and extremes - and field cameras are better for conservative moves and banging around.

Bob Crosley
12-Jun-2004, 19:08
My first 4x5 was a Super Graphic, which remains my favourite, and is used anytime I'm more than a kilometre from the car. I also have an Arca-Swiss C (used in the field but not carried far), and a Cambo SC (indoor portraits only).

jnantz
12-Jun-2004, 20:29
i learned on a 8x10 ansco studio ( portrait ) camera. i later bought a speed graphic and then a monorail camera. i have played "musical monorail cameras" sold one / bought one and now have and use a toyo view camera. i also shoot with 5x7 & 8x10 szabad field cameras. i use them all about the same amount for portraits & architectural documentation ...

Doug_3727
12-Jun-2004, 21:28
Sharon, I think the common thread on all the replies if you look closely is that noone had just one camera. We all start with what we think we want then as we learn more and see other cameras we hop to something else. Whatever you start with keep and eye on value so you can sell it to get what you really want the next time around. Good luck.

neil poulsen
12-Jun-2004, 21:59
My first camera was a Dearforff 4x5/5x7 without front swing that had just been refinished by Ken Hoeff. The lack of front swing made the camera a lot more affordable. It was a nice camera.

I now have a monorail camera that I like a lot. The Deardorff just didn't offer enough in movements for me. But, now that I have that capability of a monorail, I've been thinking about a light weight Toyo CF just for landscape.

Jan Nieuwenhuysen
13-Jun-2004, 02:21
"I recently started in LF using a view camera (monorail) and am in love with it. I'm eventually going to get a field camera as well."

Why?

Leonard Metcalf
13-Jun-2004, 07:33
I started using a Toyo monorail at art school, the college lent them out, and I had one nearly every weekend. It was the camera that I cut my large format teeth on (so as to speak). Dad gave me a Crown Graphic which I started to use backpacking. I borrowed a Linhof Technica 5 for a day and fell in love with it. My first purchase was a Linhof Technikardan TK45. I loved the movements & bellows draw, and the destinctive Linhof feel. I also bought a Linhof Technica III (1953?) which was just beautiful to use, though had different lens boards to my latter model linhof. When I sold it I bought a Toyo 45CF. A camera I never used, but didn't think it was as nice as other cameras I had used. When the linhof & toyo was stolen I replaced it with an Ebony 45SU - which is by far the nicest large format camera that I have ever used. Though it is very heavy (and on my wish list is one of Badgers light weight monorails (Toho copy?).

I didn't understand lenes very much when I started, image circles, flange focal distances, and that there is a huge variety in many different weights. With my last camera I was able to choose a body that matched the lenes I wanted to use, and make the usual compromises that one makes with a particular large format camera. Working out which lenes I prefer has taken some time. And is perhaps just as important question as is the type of photography you are going to use it for. ie carring it around all day in a pack, or draging it to shoots from the car, or leaving it in a studio. Me I like a full featured camera as my first choice as I particularly love the movements of large format cameras. Some of my friends hardly use any movements at all, as they love the image size and viewing on a ground glass... Experiement if you can... buy something that you can sell (that holds its value) so you can upgrade or change to suit the style of photography that you develop. Monorails do have a reputation for being easy to use, though I don't tend to agree.

Sharon S.
13-Jun-2004, 09:37
All - wonderful insight and good questions. It just seemed that most people had field cameras so I was wondering if they learned on field or monorail cameras. I love monorail right now, but the weight is a concern. For most part, it's a wonderful tool if you don't venture "far afield". It would be nice to have the flexibility of having both...just as soon as I win the lottery!

Thanks all!

Ole Tjugen
13-Jun-2004, 11:07
I started out with - neither. I started with a 5x7" Technika III, a technical camera... The first one had a 4x5" reducing back, a 210mm Xenar, and good bellows. A little later I bought a second one - same type, but with 5x7" back, a Xenar 300mm/f:4.5, and rotten bellows.

Later on I sold the poorest combination (reducing back, 210 Xenar, and rotten bellows) in part exchange for a Linhof Color (monorail!) with a 135mm/3.5 Planar, 150mm/5.6 Symmar, 210mm/4.5 APO-Lanthar, and 360mm/5.5 Tele-Xenar.

From there on I've moved on to older cameras: A 1934 Voigtländer Bergheil 9x12cm plate camera (with 150/4.5 Heliar), and now last a German 18x24cm folding "Travel-Camera" of unknown age and origin.

I may eventually buy a field camera. But it seems to be moving ever further back on my list of priorities...

Alex Hawley
13-Jun-2004, 16:08
Started with a 4x5 Graphic View, which is a monorail. After less than a year, I got an 8x10 Deardorff which is a field camera design.

Bulk and configuration is not an issue with me. I don't backpack. I strive to take all my shots within 20 feet of the truck, sometimes standing in the truck bed to get a higher angle of view. Despite my statement about bulk, I think an 8x10 monorail would be too unwieldy out in the field.

Although I try to use the 8x10 most of the time, I've hung on to the little (????) 4x5 monorail because it is a bit handier inside the house. The slight difference in movements between the two hasn't been an issue.

Lloyd Lim
13-Jun-2004, 18:45
Started on a crown graphic (field), sold it off to fund a bender (monorail).

and when that got stolen, bought a used Arca Swiss F-Classic

and when the A/S got too bulky for backpacking, bought another Crown Graphic...

so you see, I've gone full circle :)

Edward (Halifax,NS)
14-Jun-2004, 06:12
I am a newcomer. I don't think I have made it to 100 sheets exposed yet. I have a CC400 that I bought for ~$100 and a couple of lenses that were under that. I still haven't found a good way to haul it reasonable distances so I have been eyeing a Crown Graphic. The CC400 has been good for learning how to use basic movements. If I ever set up a studio I think it would be a perfectly suitable camera.

Diane Maher
14-Jun-2004, 07:19
I am also a relative newcomer to LF, in that I haven't made it to 100 sheets exposed yet either. My first LF camera was a Toyo 45 AII (field camera), with 90, 150, and 210 mm lenses. I bought an 8x10 Agfa/Ansco (field camera) last year and a 300 mm lens. I have since bought a 159 mm on ebay and am going to stick with these two lenses for 8x10 for a while.

So, the answer to your questions are: (1) I learned on the Toyo; (2) Never wanted to get the other type. (3) I find myself using the 8x10 more and more, especially as I'm going to start doing some alt-process printing..

Calamity Jane
14-Jun-2004, 08:39
Whal, I'm so new to LF that my opinion don't count fer squat! Since that's what yer payin fer opinions, you'll get yer money's worth ;-)

My first LF is a home-made 4x5 monorail http://www.geocities.com/diannebest/camera/camera1.html

Not overly happy with the Cherry wood so I just might build another one from Maple. If I build a second one, it just might be a field camera. Why? I donno, 'cept I've already got a monorail! I got no intention of going far enough afoot fer weight to be an issue. I have got right down in the grass with the monorail 'n' got some really great transparencies of the Dandilions from a bug's eye view - WOW!

Don't know nuff 'bout what I'm doing to know if I'm missing anything :-)>

Scott Walton
14-Jun-2004, 10:12
I started off with a Cambo SCX monorail because I was doing products. Went into a field, Linhof Tec III to go out and have fun. Jane, look at some of the Tec III's and IV on the auction sites. They are metal and very rugged and very useable. Macro is great and the backs extend further out as well as the front being able to shoot with a 400mm (I have a 360mm I love!). My most recent lens is a 65mm and I was told that a III couldn't do it. I got a machine shop to make me a recessed lens board for it and it works great... I have to drop the bed but I don't care, it works great! The nice part of the III vs the IV is that the III's lensboards are VERY simple to have made... unless you need the Linhof insignia on them.

Steve J Murray
14-Jun-2004, 12:11
I'm still using the basic Calumet student model monotrail (CC400?)I bought new in the 70's. Its very rugged and in perfect shape still. Carrying the camera case around in the field is difficult. I recently got an Eddie Bauer duffel bag for all the gear so I can carry the camera on the tripod (Gitzo Studex same vintage) over my shoulder and duffel hangs on the other side. I'm still fit enough to hike around this way. The old Calumet is inexpensive but very serviceable camera. I did some commercial work in the 80's with it so I am still used to having the monorail capabilities.

Emmanuel BIGLER
14-Jun-2004, 12:22
I'm an amateur and I started with a used Arca Swiss 6x9 F-line compact monorail camera. Some day I'll upgrade to the 9x12-4"x5" International back + tapered bellows, something close to the so-called 'view-field' 6x9-4"x5" configuration. So following this route (thanks to this forum) I'll hopefully escape from the "trap" of purchasing a 4"x5" wooden field camera as a beginner's camera ;-)

David Karp
14-Jun-2004, 16:14
My first 4x5 was a Calumet 45NX, although I had a very little bit of prior experience playing with a Sinar P2 and a Toyo 45C. Next, I picked up a Cambo 45SF, which uses my 45NX accessories. In between the two, I was given a Crown Graphic, which I did not use until after grabbing the 45SF.