PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Digital Negatives Tutor or Class Locally

David Aimone
9-May-2013, 09:59
I'm looking for someone or a course to get me over the difficulties I'm having with creating digital negatives for various alternative processes. I've worked through three different systems, and still not getting anywhere near acceptable results.

I had been signed up for a class at Renaissance Press in NH in June, but they cancelled due to lack of enrollment. I would go to the F295 one day intensive on May 18th, but I'll be away.

Are there any other classes running nearby? I'm in upstate NY. Or, is anyone in area experienced with this who would like to help me work the kinks out?

Thanks!

sanking
9-May-2013, 21:08
I'm looking for someone or a course to get me over the difficulties I'm having with creating digital negatives for various alternative processes. I've worked through three different systems, and still not getting anywhere near acceptable results.

I had been signed up for a class at Renaissance Press in NH in June, but they cancelled due to lack of enrollment. I would go to the F295 one day intensive on May 18th, but I'll be away.

Are there any other classes running nearby? I'm in upstate NY. Or, is anyone in area experienced with this who would like to help me work the kinks out?

Thanks!

David,

What systems have you tried before, and what were the difficulties you encountered?

If you have an Epson printer that can use QTR I would recommend this route as ultimately it will give you more control than any other system.

Sandy

wager123
10-May-2013, 04:45
hi david. why don't you call Dan Burkholder in Pailinville ny? he and jill are great and I am sure he could help you as he has me . his number is 518-678-7186 he's about 90 min south of you or less down the thruway.
mitch

Brian Ellis
10-May-2013, 06:04
Mark Nelson has written an ebook on making digital negatives and also offers workshops. I've attended one of his lectures and seen his work which was very good but I've never attended his workshops or used his system.

http://www.precisiondigitalnegatives.com/

sanking
10-May-2013, 07:17
Also, have a look at a recent article by Ron Reeder and Chris Anderson.

http://www.alternativephotography.com/wp/negatives/digital-negatives

The article is concise and deals directly with the critical steps in making a digital negative.

Sandy

David Aimone
7-Jun-2013, 05:39
I've used at least 3 different systems: Mark Nelson's, Dan Burkholder, Ron Reeders. I have a copy of the PDN system, QTR, etc.

I guess the short answer is that if I knew where the problem was, I could adjust to make it work. Generally, I'm not getting digital negatives that are usable--something basic is off in my process though I have gone back multiple times and tried to step through it methodically. I think I need someone who knows the process well go through it with me.

I was signed up for a workshop (this weekend) with Mark Nelson in Vermont, but it was cancelled due to lack of enrollment.

Oh, and I do have an Epson printer, the 4900...

David,

What systems have you tried before, and what were the difficulties you encountered?

If you have an Epson printer that can use QTR I would recommend this route as ultimately it will give you more control than any other system.

Sandy

David Aimone
7-Jun-2013, 06:20
hi david. why don't you call Dan Burkholder in Pailinville ny? he and jill are great and I am sure he could help you as he has me . his number is 518-678-7186 he's about 90 min south of you or less down the thruway.
mitch

I think I will call Dan Burkholder. Thanks Mitch. I did get contacted by Alan Vlach about tutoring in Maine. Anyone familiar with Alan?