PDA

View Full Version : Spotmeter

Curtis Nelson
10-Jun-2004, 09:09
Hi,

I've got a Sekonic L358, and I'm thinking about buying the 1-degree spotmeter attachment. The only drawback is that it only measures down to EV5. So my question is, what exactly would EV5 equate to in real-world use? I primarily shoot landscapes (sometimes under a forest canopy) and outdoor structures, mostly in the morning. Would I be able to measure these things accurately with this meter/attachment combination?

Also, to anyone with experience with this combination, do you like it?

Thanks,

Curtis

Matt Miller
10-Jun-2004, 09:26
I would think that you'd run into problems occasionally with the EV5 limitation. If memory serves me correctly EV5 at zone V would result in f32 at 30". How often do you run into exposures of this length?

Ralph Barker
10-Jun-2004, 11:40
Based on the EV scale on my old Gossen Lunasix3, Matt is correct. For ISO 100, EV5 would equate to a Zone V exposure of 30 sec @ f32 (8 sec @ f16, etc.). That's pretty dim light, actually - about a stop more than the ambient street lighting at night on Fremont Street in Las Vegas. (I was there recently working on a project where I was shooting at 1/15 sec @ f1.0 with my Leica.) For comparison, the L-508 measures reflected down to EV3, and the (discontinued) L-778 pistol-grip Sekonic Dual Spot measures to EV1. So, while the EV5 seems like it would be a limitation, it might be less so than one would initially think.

I would think that the physical aspect of the spot attachment on the L-358 would be more of a practical issue - it looks like it would be pretty bulky once attached, and potentially fragile. Thus, you'd probably be putting it on and taking it off all the time to avoid damage to the meter. But, on the other hand, that might kinder to the budget than spending several hundred dollars on a new meter. ;-)

Jim Ewins
10-Jun-2004, 21:21
I've found myself limited with my Pentex digital, esp in churches. loss of EV 5 would be a killer. Jim

mark blackman
11-Jun-2004, 00:37
my Gossen spotmaster covers EV 1 to +22. I've never needed the higher range but have used the lower when taking photography inside old buildings.

If you never use longish exposures in your work (ie candle lit close-ups. xmas lights, floodlit buildings, fountains, and monuments. Subjects under bright street lamps etc.), then don't worry about it, EV5 is fine.

Ed Eubanks
11-Jun-2004, 10:18
I have a Sekonic meter with a 5-degree spot attachment, and I really prefer exactly that setup (although I would gladly get a 1-degree attachment if it were available for my model). Here's why: I do find I "need" a spotmeter for much of my landscape photography, as well as in other circumstances (wedding photography, for example). I also value the option of a simple handheld ambient/reflective measurement when that is sufficient or needed. Plus, I work with strobes and studio lighting, so I require the flash meter functions of my meter. I love the fact that I can use the spot attachment even for strobe measurement-- I am not aware if this is available through the dedicated spotmeters such as the Pentax ones. And, if something breaks-- attachment or meter-- I am not out the entire cost for replacement; however, both the meter AND the spot attachment are quite rugged, and I haven't had any trouble with either.