PDA

View Full Version : Digital Back for Sinar P2

vlad manea
2-May-2013, 13:03
Hello,
I was wondering if any of you could make me a configuration, I have a Sinar P2 and I am looking to buy a digital back the problem is that I've heard many things related to this.
On Sinar camera you can only use digital backs with Sinarcam, or ou must have some kind of adapter. I was looking at a Eyelike DCS digital back.

Can someone please guide, explain how this thing works?

Thanks a lot

Michael E
2-May-2013, 13:56
One of the most common adaptors is Hasselblad V mount, meaning you could use a Hasselblad 6x6 roll film mag on your Sinar. This gives you access to a wide range of digital backs.

Michael

Daniel Stone
2-May-2013, 14:31
There are lots of configurations/packages one can create. LOTS of different options for different lenses/shutters as well.

If you're using the Sinar DB system w/ db-mounted lenses, that can be a great way to have a centralized shutter system, even with modern lenses.

The P2 is a great platform for cloe-up work, and a lot of studio guys have transferred to using their (former) film-based systems to use with digital backs.

If you NEED multi-shot, I'm not too familiar with those systems, or which backs are best.

Kapture Group makes wonderful sliding backs, and they can be used with backs in multiple mounts(Hasselblad V, H, Mamiya 645/Phase, etc.)
I believe Sinar also makes their own sliding backs, but you'll need to do some research on your own.

Wander over here:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/

I'ts a great forum for digital-minded photographers, and the likelihood of finding the information you seek will be a shorter wait than asking here, since most of the knowledge here is with film-based technology :)

Cheers,
Dan

Amedeus
2-May-2013, 14:34
I'm using digital backs (Hasselblad and Leaf Aptus) on Sinar P2 using the Phase One Flex Adaptor with the proper insert for the backs. Works like a breeze. THere are non-stitching adaptors for most LF 4x5 and MF 6x9 cameras.

This said, there are multiple solutions out there and once you settle on the digital back, well, that settles the interface and the options you have.

I'm not familiar with the Eyelike DCS back but I know it is an older model (4Mp) and uses fiber optics for communication requiring a specialty PCI/fiber board ... can't give any specific advice on this implementation.

vlad manea
3-May-2013, 11:26
Well the information you all gave me was very important to me, and for that I thank you all.

8x10 user
7-May-2013, 18:32
I used a tethered 22 MP Phase One back with a P2 using the flex adapter accessory. It works very well. Its quick and easy to change from portrait to landscape and stitching of 2-3 images is a breeze. I liked Phase ones software quite a bit. I'm going to multishot (for digital) but I will miss capture one.

I used this with rodenstock "digital" and non digital lenses. 22 MP is a good starting point and from my experience you can achieve good results with the Grandagon N line and Sironar S. I haven't tried it but I would think it would work well with Apo Ronars as well. Higher resolution backs require larger working apertures and have less depth of field so there is a trade off when moving past 22 MP. Most users that I have talked to who use 60 and 80 MP backs in the studio are also shooting with Hasselblads wide open and use focus stacking for depth of field.

The down side that I have seen with the P2 and MFD is that I don't think the asymmetrical tilts are optimized for the smaller format, which to me is the big advantage that I see in the P3.

Flex Adapters feature interchangeable adapter plates that allow the use of practically any digital back. The Hasselblad V adapter plate is the most common. Let me know if you decide on this route... I have two Sinar phase one flex adapters that I am selling. I also have a single V adapter (insert) plate.

vlad manea
8-May-2013, 06:52
Is there any digital back that can be user with a Sinar P2 without Sinarcam and untethered? I was thinking to get a digital back that can work for studio photography and architecture also.

Thom Bennett
8-May-2013, 06:55
View Camera Magazine featured an article about our use of LEAF MFDB's on Sinar P2's in 2010 (I think it was SEP/OCT).

Amedeus
8-May-2013, 07:45
Is there any digital back that can be user with a Sinar P2 without Sinarcam and untethered? I was thinking to get a digital back that can work for studio photography and architecture also.

I use a LEAF APTUS 10 and a Hasselblad CF39 on a Sinar P2 via Flexadaptor. Works flawless.

8x10 user
8-May-2013, 07:45

The SinarCam is only used for Sinar backs. With the proper adapter, pretty much any tethered or untethered back will work on a Sinar P2. I mentioned tethered backs because they are a more affordable solution.

Bob Salomon
8-May-2013, 07:51
If you mount a Linhof 001693 Graflok 45 to Hasselblad V adapter on your Sinar, or any other 45 camera with a Graflok back, then you can attach any digital back, from any manufacturer, that fits a Hasselbld V camera. The Linhof plate lists for $720.00 and camera stores usually discont from this price.

8x10 user
11-May-2013, 13:31
This shot of a phase one Flex Adapter was done with a 22 MP phase one back and 75mm Grandagon N 4.5. The crop shows detail at the pixel level.9488394884

8x10 user
11-May-2013, 19:23
I've only used the H25, so I can only speak of my hands on experience with phase one products. In terms of hardware I think most of the backs are about the same. They all seem to use Kodak or Dalsa CCD's. I do like capture one but one could use C1 with other products. You just have to purchase a license, but its free if your using phase one.

Phase made a portable version called the P25, and a long exposure portable version is the P25+. All of these are 9 micron pitch kodak sensors. 9 Microns is just about the grain lump size for slide film and is about where the best LF lenses resolve.

They are amazing at low ISO and are said to do better for long exposures than the earlier Dalsa chips. If your style of photography includes low ISO with the use of long exposures then your choices are older backs with Kodak CCDs and the new DALSA chips (Iq 2XX series. $$$$). If you want to use a high ISO then I think you need one with a DALSA chip to keep the quality up.

By the way Bob... What is the smallest pixel pitch that you recommend for the non HR Apo Sironar Digital lenses? Is the 150mm a 6/4 design? The shorter ones looked to be a modified Apo Grandagon and the longer ones modified Apo-Sironar-S's? As I understand it they are optimized for larger apertures and smaller, sharper image circles.

vlad manea
12-May-2013, 01:02
Ok thank you all for the help. We've talked about digital backs and how to mount them on a P2 the question is if those backs could be used with the sinar digital lenses directly or aditional hardware is required? I have a sinaron digital 55mm; 135 mm and 105mm. They have a note on them but I think it's for marketing, it says must use with a Sinar tricolor shutter to avoid vignetting.

vlad manea
14-May-2013, 12:12
What shutters are you using and how are they connected to the digital back?

8x10 user
14-May-2013, 15:50
I have only used a digital back with lenses mounted in copal shutters. My back had a cable that connects the back to the flash sync on the shutter. Flash is then connected to a sync port on the back. The whole thing is triggered by a standard cable release. I also used it with the T function for long exposures. This back required two shots to be fired in a row, one to wake the back and a second to capture the image.

I later purchased a "one shot" cable that would wake the back and capture at the same time. This single part connected to the back and released the manual shutter and carried the flash sync timing to the back from the shutter.

Earlier Sinar DB lenses were meant for use with a behind the lens mechanical shutter. Later digital systems used an electronic in- front of the lens shutter. It sounds like the digital lenses are incompatible with the mechanical system due to vignetting. The electronic shutter is meant to connect to a computer and tethered back so it doesn't sound like it will work for you.

You can send those lenses to Sinar or Linos to mount in a new copal shutter. Some will say that you can do this yourself but I think that it requires special equipment to make sure everything is optimized (shimmed) correctly. You can also look for lenses that are already in a copal shutter. Like I said I got good results from a simple grandagon N and 22 MP back. Of course the Apo Sironar Digital is a top notch lens and an upgrade over LF lenses for digital purposes.

There are some other electronic shutters out there but I don't know much about them.

Amedeus
14-May-2013, 17:34
I'm using the Sinar Copal behind-the lens-shutter with my digital backs. Using "newer" Sinar DB lenses and also barrel lenses mounted on Sinar boards. In the latter case the shutter aperture control is not used of course. Using WS or iris from the lens. I've been successful mounting lenses mounted in standard Copal shutters into the corresponding Sinar DB boards. Except for the Copal 3S ... there's no corresponding Sinar DB board for it.