PDA

View Full Version : Agfa Ansco 8x10 (pre war) made from which kind of wood?

jumanji
1-May-2013, 03:31
I always believe this camera was made from mahogany, while my friend's idea is from cherry. May you let me know what's the correct answer? The answer from a reliable source is even better, such as a catalogue...

lenser
1-May-2013, 06:44
Catalog page from Seth's wonderful Cameraeccentric.com site:

jumanji
1-May-2013, 07:45
Ok, it's cherry. But this is why I thought it's mahogany

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj233/onlinedem/agfa1_zpse1215cac.jpg

Brian Ellis
1-May-2013, 08:00
I'd assume that when a catalog says something is made of cherry and finished in brown mahogany they mean the wood is cherry and the stain or whatever exactly it's called is mahogany. So the color is brown mahogany but the wood itself is cherry. But maybe not, I know very little about wood or camera materials.

Mark Sawyer
1-May-2013, 09:55
I have a couple semi-basket cases, though I don't know if they're pre- or post war, (is there an indicator?). Just looked at them, and it appears to be cherry, though the finish is very dark and the varnish has a lot of crazing, so it's hard to be sure.

Neat cameras, very robust with a big (7.5x7.5) lensboard!

cdholden
1-May-2013, 11:30
I know the early (pre-war) versions did not have the geared front tilt. I also know that most, if not all, of the later ones did. What I don't know is if a war was the point of transition in design.

cdholden
1-May-2013, 11:35
Brian,
I used to do custom wood finishing (cabinets, beds, closet organizers) many years ago. The wording above would lead me to understand the same.

Chris

Pete Watkins
1-May-2013, 11:40
cd,
I doubt that this will contribute to the thread but I have a 1926/27 Ansco (pre Agfa Ansco) and it has no front tilt but the front rise and fall is geared.
Pete.

E. von Hoegh
2-May-2013, 06:45
I'd assume that when a catalog says something is made of cherry and finished in brown mahogany they mean the wood is cherry and the stain or whatever exactly it's called is mahogany. So the color is brown mahogany but the wood itself is cherry. But maybe not, I know very little about wood or camera materials.

According to the ad, it's made of cherry but finished to look like mahogany. From a distance.;)

IanG
11-May-2013, 11:49
I have a couple semi-basket cases, though I don't know if they're pre- or post war, (is there an indicator?). Just looked at them, and it appears to be cherry, though the finish is very dark and the varnish has a lot of crazing, so it's hard to be sure.

Neat cameras, very robust with a big (7.5x7.5) lensboard!

I was away in Turkey when I read your post but unable to log in and reply.

After camera production moved (during WWII) from Bingham when Agfa Ansco was taken over by the US Government the cameras changed - the designs were simplified and hardware differs, quality also dropped, more importantly all subsequent LF camears were sold with Grey painted wood.

Ironically prior to the the De Luxe finish of agfa Ansco LF cameras was Grey paint not the wonderful stained finish.

So unless someone's stripped off the paint and refinished the cameras yours are pre the US entering the war and the take over.

Ian