PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

CineStill
28-Apr-2013, 04:31
I am enjoying getting back into using my 1950's 4x5 Linhof. I used to use it fairly regularly before getting into digital photography in 2002 but am really enjoying getting back into film. I have a Linhof Technika with 90mm Schneider f8 Super Angulon, 150mm Rodenstock f4.5 Yasrex and a newer Rodenstock 180 f5.6 Sironar N. I enjoy portrait and landscape photography and look forward to learning more off this forum. Cheers

munz6869
28-Apr-2013, 05:03
Welcome to the forum (from your Northern neighbour!)

Marc!

Armin Seeholzer
28-Apr-2013, 13:54
Hi warm welcome I'm from Switzerland and after my retirement I plan to visit down under and of course Tasmania! But I will use my digital for vacancies!

Cheers Armin

David Swinnard
28-Apr-2013, 15:12
Welcome. I just had the opportunity to spend eight days touring around Tasmania and was immediately sorry I chose not to drag any film cameras along. (Long trip, tight weight restrictions and serious space limitations actually made the decision easier). A truly spectacular country - or the little of it I saw - despite some of the weather issues. I have to assume Cradle Mountain actually extends more than 20 meters above the level of the lake. (which seemed to be rising quickly in the downpour we arrived in...) Gorgeous even in the rain. Our stay was way too short, but the timeline dictated we had to visit some parts of the big island to the north as well. (WA, Pinnacles - WOW)

Welcome to the forum, Dave
(the wetcoast of BC - also LF worthy)

Leigh
28-Apr-2013, 20:16
Hmmm. That's seriously south.

Welcome aboard, Mate.

- Leigh

dperez
30-Apr-2013, 07:46
Welcome to the forum. I can't wait to see some of your pictures.

-Daniel

CineStill
2-May-2013, 17:15
Hi warm welcome I'm from Switzerland and after my retirement I plan to visit down under and of course Tasmania! But I will use my digital for vacancies!

Cheers Armin
Great Armin - If you need to borrow some equipment when you come, get in touch cheers Richard

CineStill
2-May-2013, 17:25
Welcome. I just had the opportunity to spend eight days touring around Tasmania and was immediately sorry I chose not to drag any film cameras along. (Long trip, tight weight restrictions and serious space limitations actually made the decision easier). A truly spectacular country - or the little of it I saw - despite some of the weather issues. I have to assume Cradle Mountain actually extends more than 20 meters above the level of the lake. (which seemed to be rising quickly in the downpour we arrived in...) Gorgeous even in the rain. Our stay was way too short, but the timeline dictated we had to visit some parts of the big island to the north as well. (WA, Pinnacles - WOW)

Welcome to the forum, Dave
(the wetcoast of BC - also LF worthy)

Yes Dave, Tassie weather can be very unpredictable as opposed to North of Australia where Darwin is nearly always 33 degrees all year round. The joke in Tasmania is "Don't like the weather? Wait 5 minutes" cheers Richard

CineStill
2-May-2013, 17:46
Welcome to the forum. I can't wait to see some of your pictures.

-Daniel
Thanks Daniel, It may take me a while to get back into the swing of large Format, especially using the darkroom again will be fun.

CineStill
2-May-2013, 18:21
Welcome to the forum (from your Northern neighbour!)

Marc!

Thanks Marc, I enjoyed reading your blog on travelling in Japan with two large cameras! Well done.

CineStill
2-May-2013, 18:24
Hmmm. That's seriously south.

Welcome aboard, Mate.

- Leigh

Thanks Leigh

CineStill
9-May-2013, 23:07
Hello dear friends, i am AD Dy. I am new here from this forum and hope that accepting the moral lesson from all of you. I am from AUSTRALIA and after my retirement I plan to visit down under and of course Tasmania! But I will use my digital for vacancies.
Hi AD Dy welcome to the forum and thats great that you plan to visit Australia soon. Cheers Richard

AlexGard
8-Dec-2013, 21:20
This is probably a long shot but are there any LF groups down here in tassie? or annual meets or anything?

CineStill
10-Dec-2013, 22:07
Hi Alex
There is no LF group that I know of but I know a couple of people who enjoy LF. By the way I noticed in your posts that you may work on the Aurora so you probably know my brother Matthew Williams - he will pass on my contact details if you would like to meet, cheers Richard www.cinestill.com

AlexGard
11-Dec-2013, 18:25
Hi Alex
There is no LF group that I know of but I know a couple of people who enjoy LF. By the way I noticed in your posts that you may work on the Aurora so you probably know my brother Matthew Williams - he will pass on my contact details if you would like to meet, cheers Richard www.cinestill.com

ah yes I know matty he has just gone chief. great bloke. small world. He is on leave at the moment so I'll talk to him when we get back. It would be good to meet/know some likeminded people in tas who would be willing to go out on a day trip or something around the area... still feeling pretty green to the camera.

Andrew O'Neill
11-Dec-2013, 20:53
"Don't like the weather? Wait 5 minutes"

We've got the same expression in many places in Canada, except it's wait 3 minutes... Welcome!

NancyP
28-Dec-2013, 15:40
welcome. All I know about Tasmania is that the devils have a strange communicable disease of unknown etiology and are threatened as a species, and that Peter Dombrovskis shot spectacular photos and helped get land set aside as wilderness preserves.

AlexGard
29-Dec-2013, 17:28
Yeah and watch our new liberal government rip that land up for mining/logging interests and trash the place. I seriously hope every single member of LNP get some form of cancer and die horribly slow and painful Redneck deaths.

Anyway, check out a guy I know named Heath Holden (photography.com). He has been doing some camera trapping around Tassie and has been getting some fantastic shots of devils and other wildlife going about their daily business in the nocturnal hours.

Nathan Potter
29-Dec-2013, 23:06
Interesting images by Heath. Nice roo pics. Are there any drop bears in Tassie? ;) I've not been there in years - tis a splendid place. I hope to visit in 2014 when I'm in Geelong. Would love to get back to the Cradle Mt. area.

Best regards from the US down under area. :)

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

AlexGard
30-Dec-2013, 00:11
I shouldn't have posted this morning when I was terribly hungover/still drunk. :P

Lachlan 717
30-Dec-2013, 01:38
Yeah and watch our new liberal government rip that land up for mining/logging interests and trash the place. I seriously hope every single member of LNP get some form of cancer and die horribly slow and painful Redneck deaths.

+Many.

I shouldn't have posted this morning when I was terribly hungover/still drunk. :P

Hope you're having another tipple tonight!! Apart from something about "let them wallow in their own filth", I thought that you captured it perfectly.

Don't get me started on the Reef, fracking and killing sharks.

Hope you're having a good voyage, and I'll keep an eye out for updates on AA's attempt to crack the ice.

AlexGard
31-Dec-2013, 05:15
we're still standing by stooging around in the icefields, chinese ship is having engine troubles whilst in the thick pack ice and we were joking tonight about how funny it'll be if they get stuck too.
happy new years all.