PDA

View Full Version : First time 4x5 advice needed

Rogier Willems
24-Apr-2013, 14:32
Hi,

I aquired a Finney 4x5 pinhole field camera. Its my first time using sheet film. So far my largest size used is 612 with my home brew Holganon 612.

Should I use Quickload or Cut sheet film?
What film holder do you recomend and what to check for when buying used?
Daylight processing?

Thanks in advance fror your advice!

vinny
24-Apr-2013, 15:05
Where have you found quickload for sale?
Any lisco, fidelity, black plastic holder will do.

Leigh
24-Apr-2013, 15:12
I don't think any film is currently manufactured as Quickloads, so sheet film is the only option.

If you buy used film holders, I strongly suggest you get them from KEH. They usually have quite a few in stock. www.keh.com
Their grading is conservative, their prices are fair, and they have a good return policy. I've bought a lot of stuff from them.

There is a consensus that Toyo riveted holders are about the best you can get. They're available both new and used.
The other major brands, Fidelity, Riteway, and Lisco, were all made by the same company. Fidelity are still available new.

There are lots of threads here discussing daylight processing.

Good shooting.

- Leigh

Rogier Willems
24-Apr-2013, 18:04
Thanks for the quick replies :-)

Looks like sheet is the only option.

Will get some holders from KEH.

Since I already have the suitable Paterson tank I will get the MOD54 insert.

Light Guru
24-Apr-2013, 18:32
Will get some holders from KEH.

Also check eBay they can be rather cheep there.

Since I already have the suitable Paterson tank I will get the MOD54 insert.

The Mod54 is ok but it found I could never rely on it when I had important negatives to develop. You never know when the film will come off the holder.

Lenny Eiger
24-Apr-2013, 19:13
I think this place is the best to get film holders. along with a lot of other accessories. Generally, people treat each other pretty well.

Lenny

pasiasty
25-Apr-2013, 05:08
I use second- (or third- maybe tenth-)hand Fidelity holders without any problem. Buy as cheap as you can and as many as you can, 95% will be light-tight. Or you may consider a Grafmatic. As for processing: Jobo Multitank 2 with a sheet film reel does the job well.

Jim Jones
25-Apr-2013, 07:46
I rarely have more than one or two sheets of film to develop at any time, so tray development in total darkness is practical. A very small amount of developer is diluted for one-time use. A cheap kitchen timer works well enough. Pinhole photography and basic darkroom work seem to go well together.