PDA

View Full Version : sRGB vs Adobe RGB for Vuescan+ V700

rustyair
21-Apr-2013, 09:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn9u1ZFriFU

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/adobe-rgb.htm

http://fstoppers.com/adobergb-vs-srgb

After reading a few articles, I am more confused...

For prints, Should I choose Adobe RGB over sRGB (Vuescan+v700)? I don't print myself.

What do you set your vuescan output color space and monitor color space?

Thanks,

Preston
21-Apr-2013, 09:51
In my opinion, scan so that the output is Adobe RGB. This gives you the wider of the two color gamuts. You can always convert to sRGB for other purposes.

I use Vuescan and output to Adobe RGB for my prints. I haven't noticed anything odd--at least not as far as my old eyes can tell.

You could try it both ways and see which works better for your work.

--P

bob carnie
21-Apr-2013, 09:55
Adobe 1998

neil poulsen
21-Apr-2013, 12:10
What they said above. Or, you could go to Pro Photo RGB, which has an even larger color gamut.

If you begin with sRGB, your image will be clipped in saturation to a smaller color gamut. There's no going back.

Greg Miller
21-Apr-2013, 16:28
It depends on the photo. If it has a limited gamut, such a a foggy scene, the use the limited gamut sRGB color space - it will have more ability to handle subtle tonal gradations. If the photo has a a very wide gamut, then use ProPhoto RGB - this will have less ability ot handle subtle tonal gradations but will handle the wider gamut better..

Some will argue that in 16 bit the tonal gradations won't be visibly different between the 2 color spaces. But for the photographers on this site that nitpick about every other conceivable technical detail, why would you balk a simple selection of color space.

patrickjames
21-Apr-2013, 18:58
It depends on the monitor you have and the prints you are going to make, neither of which you have told us. Hint hint.

Many people just state what they do, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is the best for you. For example, I scan color into ProPhoto since I edit in LAB. I wouldn't recommend that to many other people though and you definitely shouldn't do it if you are unsure of the difference between Adobe RGB and sRGB.

In other words, tell us exactly what you are going to do.

Preston
21-Apr-2013, 20:18
Good points all around, Patrick!

Let's see what the OP says.

Here's another thread on basically the same topic: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?98937-Adobe-RGB-or-sRGB

--P

rustyair
22-Apr-2013, 07:28
In other words, tell us exactly what you are going to do.

Thanks all, It will be 4x5 portra-> Epson v700 ->colormunki display calibrated imac -> photoshop cs5-> Digital C-print on FUji Gloss or Epson 9800/9900 with icc profile.

rdenney
22-Apr-2013, 09:38
If you want Vuescan to record the full range of the scanner's sensor without clipping, you have to choose a gamut wide enough to do so. I had trouble with clipping using Vuescan until I started using ProPhotoRGB, which is the widest gamut currently in use. You can then compress the historgram, if necessary, to avoid clipping in a narrow gamut like sRGB.

I separate correction from targeting in my workflow. I use the widest gamut possible in making corrections--in making the image look like I would like it to look. But when I target it for a particular display technology (screen or print), I may have to pull in the ends of the curves to reduce the gamut to maintain separation in the highlights of all channels. Photoshop makes that easy by showing clipped channels in the preview mode, with the preview color profile being selected based on display technology. Before doing that, I would either clip from the scanner, because I was using too narrow a space, or clip at the display, because I converted the color space without being careful about the ends of the histogram in each of red, green, and blue channels.

This is in addition to calibrating the monitor, and profiling the various color interpretation steps (scanner, monitor, and printer or browser).

Rick "who has been down this road--several times" Denney

Jim Andrada
23-Apr-2013, 20:33
And there's always LAB lurking in the background if you like a wide gamut