PDA

View Full Version : Fusion 4000 tissue color?

Sal Santamaura
15-Apr-2013, 10:33
When dry mounting single-weight Azo prints, which are a bit transparent, the warm color of Colormount dry mounting tissue infiltrates high values, causing them to be muddy/warm instead of white. I'd like to compare the color of Fusion 4000 tissue with that of Colormount tissue. However, Fusion 4000 doesn't seem to be available in sheets. The least expensive roll of Fusion 4000 is $137 at B&H, rather steep for a simple color evaluation, especially if there's nothing to be gained by changing from the Colormount I already have a supply of. :(

If anyone has both Colormount and Fusion 4000 on hand, I'd greatly appreciate your evaluation of their color in a side-by-side comparison. Thanks very much in advance for your assistance.

Drew Wiley
15-Apr-2013, 12:10
But will Fusion excessively shrink on cooling making it difficult to keep your mounting board flat? It's a very different animal.

Sal Santamaura
15-Apr-2013, 12:13
But will Fusion excessively shrink on cooling making it difficult to keep your mounting board flat?...I don't know since I've never used it. The only reason for my interest is based on the tissue's color/density. If it's much whiter than Colormount, I'll find out. :)

Drew Wiley
15-Apr-2013, 12:20
Unless Fusion has changed since way back when, it is essentially a plastic intended for mounting fabrics etc. I'd check the mfg data sheet first. Never heard of anyone using it for photos.

Sal Santamaura
15-Apr-2013, 12:48
Unless Fusion has changed since way back when, it is essentially a plastic intended for mounting fabrics etc. I'd check the mfg data sheet first. Never heard of anyone using it for photos.From the manufacturer:

"Fusion® 4000 Adhesive – is an ultra-clear, removable, thermal-activated, 100% inert, pure adhesive film that can conform around free-form shapes. Perfect for ghosting and decorative color tinting; great for mounting lithographs, newsprint, photographs (fiber-based and RC), photostats, art papers, engravings, silks, canvas and foils; alsoideal for textured surfaces and fabrics."

Anyone know how its color compares to Colormount tissue's? :)

bob carnie
15-Apr-2013, 12:55
Yes Sal

this is what we use to mount fibre prints to aluminum for future release,
It is more finicky and pricey than regular tissue and not as bonding.

From the manufacturer:

"Fusion® 4000 Adhesive – is an ultra-clear, removable, thermal-activated, 100% inert, pure adhesive film that can conform around free-form shapes. Perfect for ghosting and decorative color tinting; great for mounting lithographs, newsprint, photographs (fiber-based and RC), photostats, art papers, engravings, silks, canvas and foils; alsoideal for textured surfaces and fabrics."

Anyone know how its color compares to Colormount tissue's? :)

Sal Santamaura
15-Apr-2013, 13:12
Yes Sal

this is what we use to mount fibre prints to aluminum for future release,
It is more finicky and pricey than regular tissue and not as bonding.Bob, do you also have Colormount on hand? If so, I'd greatly appreciate your evaluation of their colors in a side-by-side comparison. Thanks in advance.

Drew Wiley
15-Apr-2013, 14:01
It's a clear thermoplastic, Sal, so you basically get the color of the underlying mountboard.

bob carnie
16-Apr-2013, 05:49
Hi Sal
I have some fusion coming in for a dibond job I will look, the regular tissue looks slightly beige as I look at if from my desk.
Bob, do you also have Colormount on hand? If so, I'd greatly appreciate your evaluation of their colors in a side-by-side comparison. Thanks in advance.

Sal Santamaura
16-Apr-2013, 09:29
...I have some fusion coming in for a dibond job I will look, the regular tissue looks slightly beige as I look at if from my desk.Yup, that's the beige I was referring to in my original post, which shows through the high values with single-weight Azo. Thanks Bob, I'll look forward to your comparison when the Fusion 4000 reaches you.

PViapiano
17-Apr-2013, 16:15
Just some info, many gum and gum-over printers use this to adhere their watercolor paper to aluminum for better registration with subsequent negatives. After it's removed from the aluminum, they bond the paper to another piece of watercolor paper.

bob carnie
20-Apr-2013, 11:55
Drymount Film goes on cold then is put in hot press93680
Sal this is different from photo fusion as you need to apply cold first then heat
Sal it is transparent and a pain to work with but definately no biege colour,You would not see it under your Azo prints. we are making some mounts today with the stuff. Not your average mounting tissue.
As you can see you need a cold laminator and a hot press to work with the Drymount film .

Photo Fusion which is reversable is only applied hot and it is transparent and flimsy.93683

The second Jpeg is a fibre base print being cold mounted.

Tin Can
20-Apr-2013, 12:02
Pictures are worth 1000 words.

Thanks!

Sal Santamaura
20-Apr-2013, 18:59
Drymount Film goes on cold then is put in hot press...this is different from photo fusion as you need to apply cold first then heat...it is transparent and a pain to work with but definately no biege colour,You would not see it under your Azo prints. we are making some mounts today with the stuff. Not your average mounting tissue.
As you can see you need a cold laminator and a hot press to work with the Drymount film .

Photo Fusion which is reversable is only applied hot and it is transparent and flimsy....The second Jpeg is a fibre base print being cold mounted.Hi Bob,

Thanks very much for that post. I'm a little confused about which product(s) you're referring to in it. Bienfang, the manufacturer of Fusion 4000, makes no mention of cold lamination in its instructions:

http://www.artgrafix.com/store/media/mounthandbook.pdf

Tacking to the print using a tacking iron, then placing the sandwich in a hot press with release paper, just like other dry mount tissues, is all that's described. Is your description of Bienfang Fusion 4000 or another product called Drymount film? Or are you describing both in different paragraphs?

Thanks again!

bob carnie
21-Apr-2013, 05:22
Sal

I am describing two different materials

We use both, the first one that is cold mounted first and then hot pressed is the Drymount film and is more aggressive and the image cannot come off.( This one is difficult as it has more steps for screwup and putting fibre prints through a cold press first is surprising to me as fibre prints are very wobbly.

The second Fusion 4000 is hot mounted, very fragile and reversable.
sorry for the confusion as I make the prints, my in house framers do the finishing and I should be more clearer in describing both processes.

Both work, I suspect you would go after the Fusion 4000 material. Warning - you will need to experiment first with old prints to find out how the process works in your space.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks very much for that post. I'm a little confused about which product(s) you're referring to in it. Bienfang, the manufacturer of Fusion 4000, makes no mention of cold lamination in its instructions:

http://www.artgrafix.com/store/media/mounthandbook.pdf

Tacking to the print using a tacking iron, then placing the sandwich in a hot press with release paper, just like other dry mount tissues, is all that's described. Is your description of Bienfang Fusion 4000 or another product called Drymount film? Or are you describing both in different paragraphs?

Thanks again!

Sal Santamaura
21-Apr-2013, 09:01
...I am describing two different materials...the first one that is cold mounted first and then hot pressed is the Drymount film...The second Fusion 4000 is hot mounted, very fragile and reversable...Thanks, now I understand. In your previous post you said

...Photo Fusion which is reversable is only applied hot and it is transparent and flimsy...so I'm concluding that Photo Fusion and Fusion 4000 are the same product. The key word here is transparent, which you've confirmed. I am aware that it handles less easily than Colormount, so will just have to get a roll and work out the process for myself. It's probably not more difficult than handling single-weight Azo when wet. ;)

...sorry for the confusion...Please don't apologize! Your help with comparing the color of Colormount and Fusion 4000 in the same facility is much appreciated.