PDA

View Full Version : Need advice: Spotmeter or Tripod head or none?

tenderobject
14-Apr-2013, 16:33
Hi guys! I'm torned between the two i can't decide if i should go with either one or not.

I recently bought a KMV 8x10 a few weeks ago. I'm anxious if my tripod setup would be enough for the setup (camera + fujinon 250mm 6.7 and of course holder). My tripod setup is manfrotto 055wnb + 808rc4. Would this be enough with my 8x10 setup? Should i upgrade the head? I'm thinking of getting a bogen 3039. If this is enough. That would be great so my main problem is to buy a spotmeter. I haven't used spotmeter eversince. I only use incident or guestimating for my 5x7/4x5 eversince. A spotmeter would be good to learn zonesystem and atleast to gain more consistency with my negatives. Although the film i might be using to play with the 8x10 would be xray films and papers. Do i really need to get spotmeter or just do what i've been doing for the past years? I've seen Pentax Spotmeter V, Soligor Spot meter II, Minolta M etc within my budget.

Maybe i should just put my money on backpack, papers or film than getting either of the two since i'm new to 8x10 and there would probably have sometime before i get familiar with the format. What do you think guys?

Thank you!

Jody_S
15-Apr-2013, 07:09
Your tripod is fine. I would buy a spotmeter.

Preston
15-Apr-2013, 07:18
Since your desire is to use the Zone System and to obtain better consistency with your negs, I'd go with a spot meter. If you can afford one, go with the Pentax digital.

--P

Steve Barber
15-Apr-2013, 07:31
Hi guys! I'm torned between the two i can't decide if i should go with either one or not.

I recently bought a KMV 8x10 a few weeks ago. I'm anxious if my tripod setup would be enough for the setup (camera + fujinon 250mm 6.7 and of course holder). My tripod setup is manfrotto 055wnb + 808rc4. Would this be enough with my 8x10 setup? Should i upgrade the head? I'm thinking of getting a bogen 3039. If this is enough. That would be great so my main problem is to buy a spotmeter.

Your camera weighs about what mine does with only a little less bellows extension. I would be more concerned about the tripod than the spotmeter, particularly if you are not using color positive film and are happy with what you are getting using an incident meter. As to the tripod head, try what you have. It ought to be adequate, but may be a bit too close to the camera base.

sanking
15-Apr-2013, 08:04

I recently bought a KMV 8x10 a few weeks ago. I'm anxious if my tripod setup would be enough for the setup (camera + fujinon 250mm 6.7 and of course holder). My tripod setup is manfrotto 055wnb + 808rc4. Would this be enough with my 8x10 setup? Should i upgrade the head? I'm thinking of getting a bogen 3039. If this is enough. That would be great so my main problem is to buy a spotmeter. I haven't used spotmeter eversince. I only use incident or guestimating for my 5x7/4x5 eversince. A spotmeter would be good to learn zonesystem and atleast to gain more consistency with my negatives. Although the film i might be using to play with the 8x10 would be xray films and papers. Do i really need to get spotmeter or just do what i've been doing for the past years? I've seen Pentax Spotmeter V, Soligor Spot meter II, Minolta M etc within my budget.

Maybe i should just put my money on backpack, papers or film than getting either of the two since i'm new to 8x10 and there would probably have sometime before i get familiar with the format. What do you think guys?

Thank you!

I would keep the incident meter, skip Zone, and learn BTZS. http://www.btzs.org/

Or you can make perfectly fine negatives just continuing to use the meter you have. Knowing how to meter is far more important than whether you use spot or incident, or Pentax or Soligor. But for the record, there are meters that provide both spot and incident modes, for example Sekionic 558, Sekonic 778.

Sandy

Sandy

tenderobject
15-Apr-2013, 08:12
Thanks guys! I think i would pass on this one and get some FB and RC from adorama. Let see, if ever i could get a better deal on Spotmeter i would get one. The Pentax Spotmeter V seems to be in my budget. About the head, i'll try my setup first before getting another one.

Sandy, Thanks for the link i will look on that. Actually, i would love to get consistency on my work for alt and silver gelatin printing but my main plans are to go more on alternative printing. So, i really love to make better negs for these. I've seen these Sekonic meters as well i think the 558 is good for me but maybe in the next few months. :D