PDA

View Full Version : New record for "Most users ever online"

adamc
3-Apr-2013, 07:10
I've been keeping an eye on the "Most users ever online" number at the bottom of the main page. I had a feeling the record was going to broken soon, as that number was regularly showing 800-900 "current users". But yesterday the record was SMASHED! From out of nowhere, it jumped from just under 1,100 to almost 1,900! That was quite a surprise to see.

Good news for the medium of large format photography! :D

edit - I believe the old record goes back to 2007

adamc
3-Apr-2013, 07:26
It's also a good opportunity to say Thanks to QT and the moderators who makes this forum such a great place to discuss and find new information about LF photography. Check out who operates the forum here. (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_who_faq_item)

QT, Kirk, Ken, Ralph, Rick, Neil, and everyone else involved...Thank you for all your hard work!

Cletus
3-Apr-2013, 09:32
+1 on the thank you! LFF is one of the very few places online that I visit regularly and spend considerable time.

Thanks for all you do - to the Mods and to QT!

Nathan Potter
3-Apr-2013, 09:50
Seems unlikely. A glitch in the software, or other abnormality?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Phong
3-Apr-2013, 10:34
I'll chime in to say "thank you" to Tuan and the moderators.

What I like most about this forum, is that it is not commercial or commercialized. After more than 15 years, there is no ad for anything !
Something that photo.net (once Philip Greenspun sold it) and apug cannot claim, just to name 2 very popular English language LF photography sites.
Tuan can certainly make a few easy bucks by taking ads.
He does not even cross link his commercial ventures from here.
That's one very classy dude.

Just to be clear, I do not in the least belittle Sean Ross's effort with APUG, which I think is monumental, nor do I begrudge Philip Greenspun for selling his site.

Brian C. Miller
3-Apr-2013, 11:00
"There are currently 948 users online. 279 members and 669 guests"

The forum software does not distinguish between real users and programs scanning pages. While I am greatly appreciative of QT and the mods, I'm sure that the statistics were a result of a confluence of webbots indexing pages for search engines. Only a log analysis would reveal what has been hitting the server. There could have also been a surge of compromised systems seeking misconfigured installations to spread various malware. You never know.

If the statistic were for "most members online" then that would be a more reliable statistic of usage.

Corran
3-Apr-2013, 11:46
Probably from traffic directed here from Ben's Travelwide camera?

Vaughn
3-Apr-2013, 13:09
Maybe some folks heard about some free Ilford film and paper? :cool:

gerry schnaible
3-Apr-2013, 18:36
I've been keeping an eye on the "Most users ever online" number at the bottom of the main page. I had a feeling the record was going to broken soon, as that number was regularly showing 800-900 "current users". But yesterday the record was SMASHED! From out of nowhere, it jumped from just under 1,100 to almost 1,900! That was quite a surprise to see.
Good news for the medium of large format photography! :D

edit - I believe the old record goes back to 2007

From a very new member of LF I think this is great. I, like so many others, have inhabited APUG/Photo-net for quite some time. Funny thing is I stumbled across LF by accident. I would like to Thank everyone including the many helpful members who share their information here. It reminds me somewhat of the ASMP during the 70's and 80's in Chicago. Anyway thanks to everybody.:)