PDA

View Full Version : EL - Nikkor 2,8 50mm not compatible with Omega D3

Philip Toal
29-May-2004, 04:37
Hi all. I recently bought an Omega D3 only to find my EL - Nikkor 2,8 50mm doesn't slide into the enlarger housing using the flat Omega D3 50mm lens holder plate. It works however with another lens, a Wollensak 50mm Raptar, which however, delivered results marginally better than if I had reverted to the bottom of a Coca Cola bottle. Obviously any EL Nikkor cannot be used with this Omega D3 sputnik. Any suggestions?

Nick_3536
29-May-2004, 05:18
You could try asking at classic-enlargers.com.

Chris Gittins
29-May-2004, 07:23
I have a similar issue with my B8. I contacted Classic Enlargers and Harry offered a very simple solution - which I have yet to get around to implementing - it's actually on my "to do" list for this weekend. Mount the lens to the round plate then make a 1/2" thick spacer ring to stand that plate off the plate which slides into the enlarger housing. You'll need to drill holes in the spacer to match up with the holes in lens mounting plate and slider plate. If memory serves, Harry indicated plywood works fine as spacer material. I'm planning to make mine out of aluminum stock.

Good luck, Chris

Chris Gittins
29-May-2004, 07:27
Here's the recommendation I got from Harry at Classic Enlargers:

Chris-

I deal with this problem all the time.

What is needed is a spacer thst fits between the lens disk (to which the lens is mounted) and the lens board.

I generally make these out of ply wood. n

As I remember I use 1/2" plywood for this. Use the lens disk to trace the ouline for the outside diameterof the spacer and the hole in the lens board for th inside diameter.

Cut it out of plywood and drill holes for the mounting screws. Take it and the all the other stuff to the hardware store and find a 6-32 screw th is the right length to hold it all together and not scrape on the upside of the slide in lens mount. You might have to cut off the screw and file or grind it down.

I do this all the time.

Harry

===== Harry Taylor Classic Enlargers 145 Jeanne Ct Stamford CT 06903

Harry@Classic-Enlargers.com

Conrad Hoffman
29-May-2004, 20:40
I have a D3 Automega with the 50mm f/2.8N Nikkor. You don't really want a spacer, simply mount the lens on a circular Omega lens board that attaches to the flat board with two thumb screws. That's how it was done, and it's understood that you have to pop off the thumbscrews and remove the lens before sliding the larger board in and out. Not sure if all D3s have the oddball autofocus cams and short bellows travel, but if you install a spacer, the range of the focus knob may be limited. It should come to focus anywhere on the column at about the center of the available range. BTW, there's a plastic bearing piece that the small focus cam rotates against. It's often missing, leaving metal to metal contact. You can improve the focus performance by making one out of a short piece of Teflon rod. Just file it to shape using a drill or drill press if you don't have a lathe.

Ron Mc
30-May-2004, 14:49
I have a D3 autofocus and I made a spacer for my 50mm lens. I used 1/2 inch birch plywood for this. I glued the spacer to the lens board. The spacer does affect the autofocus aspect of the enlarger, but only a small amount. Since I always check focus with a grain magnifier when changing enlargement size, this is a none issue for me. There is plenty of focus adjustment with the bellows to allow focus at all enlargements.

Ron Mc

Robert Zebic
30-May-2004, 15:42
I have used Nikkor EL spacer which is made to be used with 50/2.8 and 63/3.5 and 2.8. It works great. The front ring, which unscrews, can be used to reverse the lens on the enlarger.

Rob Z.