PDA

View Full Version : Source for lens board sliders?

Ari
31-Mar-2013, 19:07
I ask based on this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?93412-Latch-clamp&highlight=slider

Does anyone know where I can find any decent quality lens board sliders/latches aka "lens board retaining hardware"?

Thanks in advance.

C. D. Keth
31-Mar-2013, 19:40
There's no easier bit of hardware to make. Any hardware store will have sheet brass, aluminum, and steel.

Ari
31-Mar-2013, 19:48
Thanks for the reply, Chris, but I should have added "Please do not tell me they are easy to make." :)

I'm one step away from buying a Toyo/Technika adapter and bolting it to my KMV board.

C. D. Keth
31-Mar-2013, 19:57
Thanks for the reply, Chris, but I should have added "Please do not tell me they are easy to make." :)

I'm one step away from buying a Toyo/Technika adapter and bolting it to my KMV board.

I didn't use those exact words. Does that count? ;)

IanG
1-Apr-2013, 00:45
Any small engineering workshop will make them for you for a minimal cost.

Ian

Steven Tribe
1-Apr-2013, 02:15
I have made an alternative "slider" in order to mount a sinal/copal shutter to tailboard camera (rear of the front standard - in front of the bellows). Not an easy job as there has to be some friction, but not so much as to require real force.

Based on my experience, I would recommend using the real article from graflex, sinar, Deardorf etc.

jp
1-Apr-2013, 03:46
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290767429191

Ari
1-Apr-2013, 07:27
Thanks all; it appears that either you are able to make them yourself, or you must lift them from a parts camera.
I have found the latter from a generous forum member.

Thanks for the input; if a source does ever show up, please let us all know.

ramon
2-Apr-2013, 08:08
Any small engineering workshop will make them for you for a minimal cost.

Please, can you provide details about which workshops, and at what minimal cost?

When I ask for small quantities, those small workshops always reply with big $$$. And not all of them want to get their hands dirty for just a few pieces. HOW do you get "minimal cost" and WHERE?

IanG
2-Apr-2013, 08:36
It's a case of finding someone helpful at an engineering workshop. Usually they'll make small parts for beer money over a lunch break, that sort of thing. You could look for a local model maker, some of these people make extremely intricate and precise working models.

I used a joiners/cabinet maker ocassionally and they have a minimum charge of £25 per hour, however they can do a lot of work in an hour. I now have a new contact who just loves helping people who are prepared to get their own hands dirty and do their own restorations etc. He helps a friend with his banjo building and cuts me wood from his offcuts for repairs, lens boards and camera backs.

It's partly luck meeting the right people but they are around. There's also members hre who will help if you ask nicely :D

Ian

C. D. Keth
2-Apr-2013, 09:51
Ramon, you could try laser or waterjet cutting with a service like ponoko.com. I've had some lensboards and other small parts cut like that and they turn out really nice. You just need the ability to make the drawings in the proper format.

lenser
2-Apr-2013, 13:13
You might try Jose at Calumet repairs in Chicago. Whenever I've asked about odds and ends, he always seems to come up with something.

Tin Can
9-Apr-2013, 13:37
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deardorff-Sliding-Lensboard-Strip-for-studio-cameras-/230591107510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b04d11b6