PDA

View Full Version : Back tilt vs tilting the camera back on the head?

Shootar401
30-Mar-2013, 15:33
Ok, this is probably a stupid question that I should know but... What is the difference between tilting the camera back via the tripod head and then tilting the front standard forward to vertical versus tilting the rear standard back? In my head I say nothing, but am I wrong?

Mark Barendt
30-Mar-2013, 15:53
The only thing that matters is the spacial relationships between film and the lens.

IanG
30-Mar-2013, 15:57
Tilting the camera back allows keeping the front standard verical, but the you can tilt the camera back and tilt the front forward, you need to use rise/fall to be the same.

You can get the same results but a camera with fuller movements is marginally easier to use. I don't find it any harder either way and never give it a second thought in practice I just work to get the best from whatever camera I use.

Ian

richardman
30-Mar-2013, 16:56
Ok, this is probably a stupid question that I should know but... What is the difference between tilting the camera back via the tripod head and then tilting the front standard forward to vertical versus tilting the rear standard back? In my head I say nothing, but am I wrong?

Nothing in terms of the angular relationship between the two standards. However, the actual position of the camera would be different therefore the framing would be slightly different.

Leonard Evens
30-Mar-2013, 17:13

The two are completely the same provided the final positions of the rear standard and front standard end up being the same. However, if you tilt the camera on the tripod and then tilt the front standard so that it is vertical, the rear standard would end up somewhat below where it would be if you just titlted the rear standard. Of course, you can always correct for the difference by using rise/fall of the two standards, provided the required movements are within what is mechanically possible for the camera.

It is easier to understand these matters if you think of the two standards as freely movable in space. The only function of the bellows and the rest of the camera is to block light and to allow the standards to stay put.

Shootar401
30-Mar-2013, 21:58
Thanks. I don't know why, but thats been bugging me. Of course I can see the relationship between the film plane and lens in my head but I'm visiting family and don't have my camera with me to try it out. I seriously need to start taking my speed with me.