PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 Durst Enlargers

Jan Pietrzak
27-May-2004, 13:32
A very good friend on mine is planning a remodel of her husbands darkroom for his b-day. And she has asked me to help in the design. His dream enlarger is a Durst L184 with all the bells a horns. My comment was why???? I remember the Dursts of old and that it was always hard to get parts and service. Have they changed, is the new product better. He is a pickey kind of guy. What do I tell them.

Jan Pietrzak

Jay DeFehr
27-May-2004, 14:15
The thought of someone remodeling my darkroom gives me cold sweats, but it sounds as though her heart is in the right place. I don't know much about the Durst enlargers, but if he wants one, I assume he does. By all means give it to him.

John Kasaian
27-May-2004, 14:17
Jan,

Wow! What a birthday pre$ent!

Tell her an Elwood is far and away a better machine than those ratty old Durst enlargers and that is what she should buy. Then, when they get a divorce, marry her! ;-) ~Cheers!

Nick_3536
27-May-2004, 14:42
Where is he located? If you go to Durst-USA website they'll show how long the enlarger is supported. I don't think parts are hard to find for Durst they just aren't cheap. Which doesn't suprise me when you consider these aren't budget consumer toys. If the Enlarger is still supported then I'd be suprised if parts are hard to get.

http://www.durst.it/uk/mitte_sv_geraete.asp

The chart shows the 184 went out of production in 1982 and service stopped in 1992. If the one you get is working I'd expect it to keep working but if you're worried about parts I'd look for something newer and still supported.

Donald Miller
27-May-2004, 14:42
If she is speaking of a current Durst 8X10 enlarger...then it is probably very near the "head of the class" insofar as that format enlarger. Durst Pro/Jensen Optical does have a web site outlining their offerings. Cost is expensive varying with the light source that is incorporated. They are state of the art. I use a Durst 5X7 and it is the finest enlarger that I have ever used.

Jan Pietrzak
27-May-2004, 14:57
Jay,

Don't worry, it is a simple face lift 1) new sink 2) tempture control system 3) new cabinets 4) heat and air. This is somthing that she really wants to do for him. And yes I have designed and build a number of darkrooms both for schools and for fellow photographers. Just don't put a hammer in my hand.

John,

Not sure that a dichoric filter head fits on an Elwood all that well. It was hard to match the grain of the wood. Besides my wife may have somthing to say about the divorce.

Jan Pietrzak

Jan Pietrzak
27-May-2004, 15:19
Nick,

We/I are in the US/Southern California and the unit that he has been lusting after is one of the New/Old 8x10 L184. From what I can find out they refurb old enlargers and sell them as new/old. Kind of like buying a 1952 MG TD and having Morris Garage rebuild it for you with all new old parts. Please no Lucas parts, thank you. Owning one British car is enough for a lifetime. Thank god Lucas is not in the PC business.

Don,

I have looked at the site but has anybody worked with these people. As far as the money goes $10,000.00 for and enlarger. Is way out of my check book.

Jan Pietrzak

domenico Foschi
27-May-2004, 15:54
Last year i was looking for one as well , and i ended up to get in touch with Durst usa , and the price for a refurbished one , looking completely new , was around $ 10.000 . But there are better ways to go around , even if a little more time consuming ( and legal of course). I am from Southern Cal. also , and i have a contact who might be able to help you. Go to my site www.dfoschisite.com , and call me at the phone # appearing in the home page .

Donald Miller
27-May-2004, 17:27
While this is off the original subject of the 184 Durst, it will speak to Durst and 8X10 enlarging.

There is a way to proceed other then the Durst 184. The Durst 138 and 138S models can be converted to 8X10 format. The lower negative stage opening can be enlarged to accept an 8X10 negative. From there a person needs to build or purchase a suitable 8X10 lamp housing. Additionally a negative holder needs to be built or purchased. I know of at least one person who has done this. The 138/138s enlarger will have enough bellows extension to accomodate a 300 mm lens. I also understand that the 240 mm lens will cover 8X10 format.

The resulting converted enlarger would weigh around 200 lbs and fit in rooms with 8 foot ceilings.

Mike Troxell
27-May-2004, 20:10
If you are talking about consulting him about what new equipment he would like and where and how to place it then fine. But as far as anyone else redesigning my darkroom, first you would have to drag my uncounscious (but preivously kicking and screaming) body from in front of the darkroom door (after you had cut the chains that I had used to chain myself to the door with) before I would even think of letting anyone else redesign my darkroom. Darkroom design and workflow is a very personal matter.

Paul Metcalf
27-May-2004, 20:21
Jan, come on, you're much too modest. I saw how you handled that funky light system at the Embassy suite. The flapping arms and everything. Very much entertaining (but I must admit, your photographs were much better...)

"Toe Smasher" Paul (how is the toe, BTW?)

Jan Pietrzak
28-May-2004, 00:59
Don,

The down side is that he is in lust/love with that L184, not sure why. It looks more like somthing that they found next to a wolly mamoth and almost the same size.

Mike,

When you have more water on the floor than in the sink it is time for a new sink. Counters and cabinets move and shake. And the space needs air and heat. Not to much to make the work flow better. Yes I to have and old sweat shirt that my wife keeps putting in the trash. It still keeps me warm and it is still in one piece.

Paul,

Thank you, the green purple color is not up to my knee yet, but the doctor with the smoking feathers and rock rattles said that I would be fine by the end of summer. Aha the wonders of modern science and a magnetic personality can do a lot in front of a group. I had a great time at the View Camera Conferance and I hope that Steve lets me come back again. I thank all the photographers that came and I enjoyed meeting some new friends. KIT

Jan Pietrzak

Charlie Lowe
8-Jul-2004, 19:29
I just found this website, and want to put the word out that I have a Super Chromega F (Omega 8x10 Color Enlarger) with extra condensor head as well 3 lenses that I am trying to sell. This is the floor model that looks like a giant D2. Any interested parties? I am in Greensboro, NC.

Charlie Lowe

George_4424
22-Jul-2004, 15:56
I have for sale a very clean Elwood 8x10 enlarger. Enlarger comes with two Kodak enlarging lenses on Elwood boards, 7.5" and 10". The unit is currently mounted on a very stable 4' x 4' base that I built out of 2x4's and MDF. I will not to ship the enlarger but will try to work out delivery possibilities within a reasonable distance from Dallas, TX if required Included with the Elwood are 3 hard rubber Kodak 8x10 developing tanks, a couple stainless wash tanks, film hangers, etc. Bottom line is that I'm getting out of large format photography all together.

Also have a beautiful Beseler 4x5 enlarger with motor drive. This unit comes with the stock condenser head, a cold light head, a dichlor color head, and a Minolta strobe head. Please email me for photos and any questions that you might have for either enlarger.

Price is somewhat negotable and preference given to who can get this stuff out of my basement the quickest. The Elwood without the base could fit into a Crown Vic or larger vehicle. If you want the base, it just fits in the back of a Excursion or of course a pick up. The Beseler 4x5 comes with its table base which would be best transported in a SUV.

I will try to put together a "package" of dark room items for each enlarger and should have that information available in the next day or two. Like I said, this stuff has got to go and I might as well clear out as much of it as I can to whoever purchases the enlargers.

Please contact me at gdobson@juno.com

Thanks, George

Larry_4497
6-Aug-2004, 18:40
I have a Durst 184 with BW head that I will let go for $2,000 in the Seattle area.