PDA

View Full Version : Great large format camera support

alex from holland
28-Mar-2013, 02:15
http://collodion-art.blogspot.nl/2013/03/great-large-format-camera-support.html

I recently bought the Manfrotto 359 lens support and use it as a camera support.
great tool. just have a look at my weblog.

alex from holland
28-Mar-2013, 02:44
sorry, posted this at the wrong forum...

Michael_4514
28-Mar-2013, 03:41
Blogger won't let me see your site for some reason. This is the message I get:

Your current account (xxxx@gmail.com) does not have access to view this page.

alex from holland
28-Mar-2013, 03:53
Michael, it should be ok by now. Posted the wrong link. sorry.

Jac@stafford.net
28-Mar-2013, 09:51
Here is my solution. I have used it with longer lenses. As you can see, it is adjustable on the vertical, and can be reversed for longer lenses. The lens shown weighs more than the camera and tended to pull the board off the camera without the support. The support is a 'V' shape to accommodate almost any lens diameter.

Bogdan Karasek
4-May-2013, 17:44
Hello, i was just admiring your camera...... homemade. Is there anyway I can see more pictures of it?
Alex Timmermans, in his blog, talks about going back to traditional methods of doing images. I find myself also drawn to making my own camera and making images with it.

Tin Can
4-May-2013, 18:52
Jac,

Nice custom Sinar. I like the lens support and platform. I will one day do something similar with Horseman.

Here is my solution. I have used it with longer lenses. As you can see, it is adjustable on the vertical, and can be reversed for longer lenses. The lens shown weighs more than the camera and tended to pull the board off the camera without the support. The support is a 'V' shape to accommodate almost any lens diameter.

Jac@stafford.net
5-May-2013, 10:37
Jac,

Nice custom Sinar. I like the lens support and platform. I will one day do something similar with Horseman.

Hang in there. The platform can be used with almost any camera. I may be selling out as soon as the new body is done.

(It actually is not a custom camera, just the Sinar Alpina, their economy unit. They were selling used for $75 each, with case, when I got it.)

Tin Can
5-May-2013, 11:09
I think that setup is very custom.

If i could find a 5x7 Horseman, I would sell my whole Sinar kit.

I like sturdy!

Oh, and Jac, I just got a complete flashpowder setup. Everything. Any idea how to use it? I gotta try it for a night shoot and take video.

I know. Outside!

Hang in there. The platform can be used with almost any camera. I may be selling out as soon as the new body is done.

(It actually is not a custom camera, just the Sinar Alpina, their economy unit. They were selling used for $75 each, with case, when I got it.)

Jac@stafford.net
6-May-2013, 14:49
http://collodion-art.blogspot.nl/2013/03/great-large-format-camera-support.html

I recently bought the Manfrotto 359 lens support and use it as a camera support.
great tool. just have a look at my weblog.

Returning to your original post. I regret diverting the thread. Indeed I appreciate your solution.

If I may - by pure luck I stumbled into a modern ladies clothing shop that was selling everything in the shop.

Surprise to me! Their displays were all Italian modular components which matched Manfroto articles. I got all the parts at scrap-metal value.

I replaced the same support of my old Century stand with two of the same parts you shared with us.

So perhaps sharing our discoveries, from very different sources will add to our collective efforts.

Very cool!

Dan Fromm
6-May-2013, 15:50
Hmm. Looks sorta camera specific, or, rather, rail specific. I did something similar with a modified Cambo SC front standard that fits (why are you not surprised?) a 1" square rail.

jkcz
7-May-2013, 00:58
After 2 years with Manfrotto support leg, i can say, its great tool.
12x15" Thorton&Pickard with Heliar 420.