PDA

View Full Version : my new site

Hans Berkhout
22-Mar-2013, 05:56
thanks for looking, I appreciate comments/suggestions.
Hans
www.gelsilver.blogspot.ca

bob carnie
22-Mar-2013, 06:20
I like the site Hans .

Hans

Walter Calahan
22-Mar-2013, 06:33
beautiful seeing

ross
22-Mar-2013, 07:56
Wow Hans! Beautiful photographs and the website has a nice elegance to it.

Ray Van Nes
22-Mar-2013, 08:14
Hello Hans. Lovely site and pictures. How is the Chamonix working out?
Cheers
Ray

tigger_six
22-Mar-2013, 08:20
I really like the photographs, but on some pages I get the slide-out menu from the right (the one with subscribe/blog archive buttons) in such a position that it lays over the vertical slider, making it difficult to grab it and move it.

Alan Gales
22-Mar-2013, 09:58
It's simple and easy to navigate with beautiful images.

I like!

Lenny Eiger
22-Mar-2013, 10:58
Hans, looks really nice. I especially like the smaller view, not so much of the big landscape, but of details we recognize. Some really wonderful things in there...

Lenny

henk@lf
22-Mar-2013, 11:13
One word : MARVELOUS !
Congratulations !

patrickjames
22-Mar-2013, 14:31
I think your images are really good, but the site, not so much. Personally I can't stand scrolling. Most of the time the images get truncated and the constant up and down fatigues my eyes. Why use blogger? Why not make your own site? I know blogger is easy, but easy for you makes it more difficult for everyone else. You have great work. Put it on a great site.

Hans Berkhout
23-Mar-2013, 06:30
Thank you all for taking the time to look and for your comments.
Ray, the Chamonix excels in the low weight/ hiking department. Still have to get used to focusing with it, the ergonomics.
Patrick, re blog or site-that's food for thought, tx.

Andrew O'Neill
23-Mar-2013, 07:40
Hans, really nice work (your small camera work is actually stronger than LF). Site doesn't bother me either. So you have to do a bit of work with your index finger to see the images... big deal. Nice work!

invisibleflash
23-Mar-2013, 11:00
Nav was terrible for me. I could only see a few from Jan. I tried it 4 or 5 times, same thing.

What I did see what very nice.

edit: Tried another computer. Worked OK. I like the blog format. I use Tumblr myself.

Looks like a dust spot on one of the arch shots. Check it out. May be a crack, but if it looks like dust get rid of it.

Very nice job Hans!

invisibleflash
23-Mar-2013, 14:25
Some of the images were not very sharp. Res looked too low when I clicked on the images.

That is distracting....is it a fuzzy shot or just low res?

Use 400 kb min, 600 to 800 kb is best.

geoawelch
24-Mar-2013, 09:14
Hans, the site is well done, with beautiful imagery.

I particularly like how quickly the images load.

Ray Van Nes
25-Mar-2013, 08:42
Glad the camera is working out. It is one of my workhorses again due to its light weight and versatiliy with different backs.

I also wanted to say that you have some wonderful images. The one of the Mitre turned out really well.
Cheers
Ray

Hans Berkhout
28-Mar-2013, 13:44
thank you all for posting comments. For web I keep things low res indeed.
Ray who knows we may be hiking the same trail again some time!
H.

Chauncey Walden
29-Mar-2013, 15:55
Hi Hans! I really enjoyed viewing your images (but I missed Chaco somewhere.) It does seem that you have entirely too many fine cameras. You have my shipping address;-)

Hans Berkhout
4-Apr-2013, 05:59
Hi Chauncey! Chaco...planning to be there again in first part May with film to expose, and possibly Hovenweep, will let you know. And that equipment! that's over 35+ years, most of it off-loaded now, I'm more in a minimalist phase, which is easier on the back and the mind.
Cheers,
Hans.

RJC
5-Apr-2013, 11:50
I don't know if it's a characteristic of the blogger site but everytime I click on an image to view a larger version and then hit back it reverts to the homepage and not the gallery I've navigated from. Also I keep seeing the 'gear wheels' during the loading process which is offputting.

Cracking images tho'!

leejack964
9-Apr-2013, 04:21
Do you make this site yourself or by someone.

Hans Berkhout
11-Apr-2013, 05:46
A good friend helped me out. We know it's not perfect (see reactions above) but it's very economical and should serve the purpose: If people are curious to know what kind of pictures I take, they can have a look at the site. It has nothing to do with a business plan, marketing etc.

SR95RACER
27-Apr-2013, 19:12
Great stuff in your site !!!Job well done !

Brian Ellis
23-Jun-2013, 18:30
Very nice photographs. I especially like "Leaves on Snow" and "Chapel Entrance."

Drew Bedo
24-Jun-2013, 07:39
Overall I would say its a good site.

The suggestions that I would make are:
• Use a blocky font for easy legibility.
• The white background tends to overpower the content; I would use a darker background with a lighter text.

Just MHO . . .but asked for it.

Cheers

Roger Thoms
24-Jun-2013, 09:42
Hans, first off I enjoyed your photography and thought it was well presented on the site. I am viewing it on my Ipad and it works quite nicely. Scrolling up and down is easy and I could click on an image to view a larger version and then go back with out any problem. So with an Ipad your site world kis very well.

Roger

Hans Berkhout
26-Jun-2013, 06:07
Thank you all for looking and offering comments, suggestions. Things for me to consider.

Hans

Www.gelsilver.blogspot.ca

Drew Bedo
26-Jun-2013, 09:00
Hans: Please re-post if you make any changes.

Cheers

Racer X 69
9-Aug-2013, 07:39
Hans

Nice work Doctor! You have a great photographic eye. I am envious of you for all the fantastic places you have traveled, as travel is one of my many hobbies. The book excerpt about the hobbies of your colleagues is quite interesting. The next time I see my physician I am going to ask him about his hobbies, for sure.

I have to ask. It looks like you have traveled around the world to collect so many great images. Did you carry all of your camera gear as you traveled, of did you only take one type of gear on each journey? Also, how did you manage going through customs and the airport security screening, and did you pack your gear and check it, or carry it on?

mijosc
9-Aug-2013, 16:22
Nice images! Your compositions are stunning! I'm inspired to shoot!

DennisD
9-Aug-2013, 18:50
Lovely work - excellent, thoughtful compositions.
Thank you !

Hans Berkhout
19-Aug-2013, 19:32
thanks all- sorry about late reply to Racer: ("I have to ask. It looks like you have traveled around the world to collect so many great images. Did you carry all of your camera gear as you traveled, of did you only take one type of gear on each journey? Also, how did you manage going through customs and the airport security screening, and did you pack your gear and check it, or carry it on?"):
I usually travel by car so it's easy to bring the 4x5. No matter where I go I bring a Mseries Leica with 5 cm lens. Travel by air is OK: film, 2 or 3 lenses , spare ground glass, exposure meter in carry-on and remainder checked.
I can probably rent a camera, tripod if things get misdirected, lost. I pass film trough the usual screening machine, try to have direct flights, avoid transfers. If film gets spoiled-too bad, I'm not a professional so I it's not of critical importance to me. Never been asked to open film boxes- travel limited to Europe though.I've no experience with color film and air travel.
Hans.

thomasfallon
7-Nov-2013, 13:17
Very nice work.

klocksib
7-Nov-2013, 21:21
Nice site Hans; I love the minimalist design, and the width between the photographs. Makes it easy to focus on, and study one photograph at a time (which is something sorely lacking in most sites, including my own).