PDA

View Full Version : Image Problems - Dark Streak on Negatives

wags100
16-Mar-2013, 09:27
Looking for suggestions as to what the problem could be. I just got back some images and many of them have a light streak (dark streak on the negatives). On several, I took the image more than once and the streak is in exactly the same place. This occurred with 2 different lenses (210 and 110). Images taken with other lenses do not have this problem. I would appreciate some ideas of what may have gone wrong.

Thanks.

photobymike
16-Mar-2013, 09:37
You think the lenses are doing this? i have never seen this before.. could be a nasty case of flare? i doubt it tho ...lens boards ?...yea a leak on your lens boards....

wags100
16-Mar-2013, 09:40
Thanks, I would think a light leak would result in a dark band?

tigger_six
16-Mar-2013, 09:51
No, light leak means more light coming in = light band.

Brian Sims
16-Mar-2013, 10:26
I think photobymike has it for the 2nd and 3rd image (and possibly for the 1st image). The dark area on the negative (or light area on the positive) has two shapes, the curve edge and the straight edge. If you have a light leak on your lens board the curve could be the shape of your rear element of your lens (the 110) and the straight edge could be the leak hitting the bellows. In the shot with the 210 there may not be a shadow cast by the rear element.

Look through the back of your camera and move a flashlight around the front of the camera....should be able to find the leak. Good luck.

E. von Hoegh
16-Mar-2013, 12:08
You think the lenses are doing this? i have never seen this before.. could be a nasty case of flare? i doubt it tho ...lens boards ?...yea a leak on your lens boards....

Or a leak around the lensboard. Make sure the boards fill the recess in the front standard, perhaps the boards are a little short on one dimension. It could also be a leak where the bellows attaches to the front standard.

wags100
16-Mar-2013, 12:16
Thanks, everyone. It was a light leak. I have a Linhof Technikardan. The little post in the bottom center that lines up with the notch in the lensboard seems to have gone missing, leaving a pinhole. I think this also explains why there was the curved shape to the 110 images as the light hit the rear element of the lens as suggested.

photobymike
16-Mar-2013, 15:48
You know actually clean the dust up a little and call it abstract photo. Seriously print and mat for display... "It is art". I think they are unique and kinda cool.