PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles LF show-n-tell/meet&greet?

ScottPhotoCo
11-Mar-2013, 19:56
Well, it's official. I am once again a Californian! It's good to be back!

I'd love to meet and talk LF with people in SoCal. Anybody up for it?

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Rick Russell
12-Mar-2013, 10:33
Tim,

Count me in!

Rick Russell
www.rickrussellimages.com
richardrussell-1@ca.rr.com

ScottPhotoCo
13-Mar-2013, 11:38
Sounds great Rick! I'll follow up when I get back from my wedding in a couple of weeks.

Anyone else? :)

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

BrianShaw
13-Mar-2013, 12:13
Anyone else? :)

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

You may be the first person I've met who seems sincerely happy to have returned to LA. (I've been exiled to this god-forsaken place for longer than I care to admit, but still not entirely happy about it.) I'll seriously consider attending... if for no other reason than to learn first-hand what makes you tick.

gary892
13-Mar-2013, 19:13
I might be interested. Depends on when and where.

Jim Fitzgerald
13-Mar-2013, 19:19
Yes, where and when will make a difference for me as well.

billie williams
13-Mar-2013, 19:21
Count me in!

ScottPhotoCo
14-Mar-2013, 20:22
Awesome! I'll be back in LA in early April and I'll post some ideas here.

Brian, I moved to Oregon from NYC almost 8 years ago and have really missed the city, the culture and the creative opportunity it brings. After stepping away for a bit I'm determined to find a way to keep some balance between work, life and hobbies. We'll see. :)

madmax12
15-Mar-2013, 18:48
Ok I would like to meet

ScottPhotoCo
15-Mar-2013, 19:06
Hey! We have a few now! It will be fun to meet you all. More soon...

dperez
19-Mar-2013, 08:32
Sure, why not.

ROL
19-Mar-2013, 10:34
You may be the first person I've met who seems sincerely happy to have returned to LA. (I've been exiled to this god-forsaken place for longer than I care to admit, but still not entirely happy about it.) I'll seriously consider attending... if for no other reason than to learn first-hand what makes you tick.

Actually, he said it was good to once more be a "Californian". There is a lot more to California than LA, though that is where he is landing. While it may be true that many in SoCal in general don't know where Yosemite or San Francisco are, or that they are even part of California, LA probably would also benefit greatly from the absence of any who do not wish to live here. Kudos to you Tim, for your enthusiasm and recognizing that LA, among many places, is much more than the sum of its parts, having much to offer not readily accessible elsewhere. Direct access to Freestyle comes to mind for the photographer, not to mention entertainment industry related perks. (I am in Santa Clarita... the nice part of SoCal :cool:.)

Michael Cienfuegos
19-Mar-2013, 14:47
Actually, he said it was good to once more be a "Californian". There is a lot more to California than LA, though that is where he is landing. While it may be true that many in SoCal in general don't know where Yosemite or San Francisco are, or that they are even part of California, LA probably would also benefit greatly from the absence of any who do not wish to live here. Kudos to you Tim, for your enthusiasm and recognizing that LA, among many places, is much more than the sum of its parts, having much to offer not readily accessible elsewhere. Direct access to Freestyle comes to mind for the photographer, not to mention entertainment industry related perks. (I am in Santa Clarita... the nice part of SoCal :cool:.)

When I was younger (high school age) we used to spend a lot of time with cousins who lived on a small ranch off Bouquet Canyon Rd. and Texas Canyon Rd. We could go rabbit hunting off Texas Canyon. I haven't been back since 1960, but I'm sure it is all developed today.

BrianShaw
19-Mar-2013, 15:20
There is a lot more to California than LA, ...

Since when? ;)

BrianShaw
19-Mar-2013, 15:24
When I was younger (high school age) we used to spend a lot of time with cousins who lived on a small ranch off Bouquet Canyon Rd. and Texas Canyon Rd. We could go rabbit hunting off Texas Canyon. I haven't been back since 1960, but I'm sure it is all developed today.

Hey Michael... I was there in the 70's and 80's... as well as San Fransquito near the old dam. The area is mostly developed and what little open areas still exists is posted. I heard there were problems with gangs but don't believe it. I think it was mostly beause of fire hazard.

Michael Cienfuegos
20-Mar-2013, 12:02
Hey Michael... I was there in the 70's and 80's... as well as San Fransquito near the old dam. The area is mostly developed and what little open areas still exists is posted. I heard there were problems with gangs but don't believe it. I think it was mostly beause of fire hazard.

Brian, I think most of the gang activity is more in the San Fernando and Pacoima areas. I really don't know. I grew up in South Central LA, around Manchester and Broadway. We moved to the area in 1948 and moved to Gardena in 1957. LA is still a fascinating place, I like to go to downtown LA, especially to Phillipe's for lunch. I've been going there since I was 5 years old, my dad went as a kid, said that when he was young the sandwiches were only a dime.

ROL
20-Mar-2013, 16:58
No, it definitely ain't Pacoima up here. Gang activity, when it rears its ugly head, is quickly quashed (and alliterated?) by a very active community. OTOH, the Santa Clarita Valley is extremely controlled. Lots of nice looking fences keeping one inside public areas and out of Newhall Ranch land. Interesting photography can be extremely difficult without permission, the asking of which is to seek denial. San Francisquito Creek borders my particular area, but the nearby canyon, including the pieces of the old dam, is Angeles N.F. You may not be aware that Harry Carey's (John Wayne's favorite co–star) old ranch at the foot of the canyon has become one of LA county's newest parks. My wife and I often pack a lunch there in the Spring, having the place to ourselves.

ScottPhotoCo
4-Apr-2013, 21:32
I'm back! Looking forward to meeting some other LF folks!

If you might want to join in on an LF meet and greet PM me an email address and I'll work out a way to plan a (hopefully) convenient public location and an idea to keep it interesting. Definitely open to ideas.

Lets plan! :)

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co