PDA

View Full Version : Need some assistance with 5x7 film...

Leszek Vogt
11-Mar-2013, 16:27
Howdy,

Basically looking for a direction to take. I'm interested in slower 5x7 films, but would like to have a go to faster film 320-400 ASA, as well. Yes, non-grainy or minimal grain look is important. I've seen some great results from HP4 and Pyro....would that be the best combo ? I realize this is subjective and much depends on what one is aiming for. I've used Rodinal on a smaller film (PanatomicX)....so I wouldn't mind using that again. Anyway, if you can give me the stats (film/development combo) and punctuate it with an example/s...that would be even more appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input.

Les

rich caramadre
13-Mar-2013, 15:07
Les,
Not sure if this helps but I've been using 5x7 Tri-x 320 developed in 510 Pyro and have been very impressed. I shoot it at 320 and have plenty of shadow detail. As for grain, I print optically up to 16x20 and see none.

Rich

John Kasaian
13-Mar-2013, 17:17
Tri-X and HP-5+ are the only two gals at the dance, IIRC. Either one will treat you fine if you act like a gentleman.

Michael Graves
14-Mar-2013, 08:23
Tri-X and HP-5+ are the only two gals at the dance, IIRC. Either one will treat you fine if you act like a gentleman.

Not entirely true. FomaPan 400 can be had from Freestyle. And it only runs about $2 a sheet, compared to Tri-x at just a hair under $3 a sheet. I have shot Foma 200 with very nice results. I can't imagine the 400 being THAT much different. That being said, I still like the highlight detail of Tri-X better than anything I've ever used. But that's probably based on my methods.

Noah B
19-Mar-2013, 08:39
I usually shoot hp5 (1:1 XTOL) and fp4 (1:3 XTOL) and get great results each time.

Shootar401
21-Mar-2013, 21:50
There are about a dozen different 5x7 emulsions out there. It all depends on the look you want to achieve.

My current favourite is Delta 100 in DD-X, followed by Arista 100 in Xtol

Michael Cienfuegos
22-Mar-2013, 10:02
I just started using 5x7 xray film. It's a bit hard to find in this size, but at $28 for 100 sheets I can't complain. Now I have to get out and start shooting.

Leszek Vogt
22-Mar-2013, 13:30
Agree, I'll probably attach myself to the xray film too. I've seen some really cool examples here. Michael, did you get the Fuji ?

Les

peter schrager
22-Mar-2013, 16:27
sorry but xray does not come close to real film...just a fact
Best, Peter

Shootar401
22-Mar-2013, 22:47
sorry but xray does not come close to real film...just a fact
Best, Peter

I'm going to call B.S. on this. I've seen and I'm sure others have also, photos taken on x-ray film that are indistinguishable from traditional photographic films.

Leszek Vogt
22-Mar-2013, 23:42
Peter, what basis do you have for your opinion ? Have you looked at 'Images shot on Xray film' thread ?

Les

Michael Cienfuegos
23-Mar-2013, 16:48
Agree, I'll probably attach myself to the xray film too. I've seen some really cool examples here. Michael, did you get the Fuji ?

Les

The packaging says "Made in Belgium, Finished in USA" I am assuming it is AGFA, not sure. I haven't had a chance to use it of late, too many other things going on right now. I did a few self portraits, need to be more careful to avoid scratching it.

m

jnantz
23-Mar-2013, 18:18
BS ?

ortho / colorblind papers films and emulsions are fun and have a great look

but xray is far from panchromatic.
it is pretty much the film version of a paper negative ...
( i like shooting ortho-too but i'd rather coat my own paper (metal) and glass negatives )

YMMV