PDA

View Full Version : New monitor new problem

ignatiusjk
10-Mar-2013, 14:17
I recently had to get a new monitor for my computer and the difference in the monitor and my prints are beyond night and day. I suspect I have to recalibrate my monitor.I never had to calibrate my monitor when I set up photoshop originally. How do you calibrate a new monitor?

Kirk Gittings
10-Mar-2013, 14:29
I've never had a monitor that didn't need calibration right out of the box or otherwise and re-calibration periodically. You will need a monitor puck and software like ColorMunki (http://www.amazon.com/Xrite-CMUNDIS-ColorMunki-Display1/dp/B0055MBQOM).

Preston
10-Mar-2013, 16:47
I've never had a monitor that didn't need calibration right out of the box or otherwise and re-calibration periodically

Same here. I've heard good things about ColorMunki and also the X-Rite IOne Display Pro.

If you have a compatible NEC monitor, the best solution is the SpectraView II kit; software and colorimeter.

A finely tuned color managed workflow will save you time and frustration, as well as ink and media.

--P

Jim Andrada
18-Mar-2013, 19:22
Monitor calibration - best to do at least weekly. I know some shops do it every few hours . I probably should calibrate once in daylight and once in the evening as ambient light levels change, but I just do it every week. Heck, for the two monitors it only takes a few minutes.

Kirk Gittings
18-Mar-2013, 19:37
IME the calibration does not drift enough to redo it but every couple of weeks. It is simple enough to compare your old and new profiles and I find a very slight-barely perceptible change even once a month. And as per ambient light levels, in my workspace, all ambient light is strictly controlled and doesn't change with the time of day.

Preston
18-Mar-2013, 20:19
My experience mirrors Kirk's. The difference is very small. I calibrate every two weeks.

Since this thread popped up gain, I wonder if Ignacius was able to solve his problem?

--P

Ken Lee
18-Mar-2013, 20:45
You might find this short article (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/index.php#toodark) helpful.

pherold
19-Mar-2013, 14:07
We have found that brand-new monitors will lose a bit of brightness during the burn-in period of the first couple months of use. So every 2 weeks or so is certainly in order then. Afterwards, you might very well get by only calibrating once a month on a quality display that is several months old.