PDA

View Full Version : Enlarger voltage question (British to USA)

Hatrick
1-Mar-2013, 09:20
I have an opportunity receive a DeVere 5108 Dichromat enlarger, to the US from Britain and need to survey the costs associated with converting it to 120/220 volts/60Hz single phase (US) from 230 volts/50Hz single phase (British).
I have the manual skills to make the changes but will need guidance to source the components required to upgrade it to operate on the US electrical grid and advice on how to successfully accomplish this exercise.
I'm still waiting for more technical information to arrive regarding the original specifications for this enlarger i.e. model number, serial number and year of manufacture etc. also more details on the Dichromat head.
I would be most grateful for any supportive input offered.
Patrick.

E. von Hoegh
1-Mar-2013, 10:07
Get a big stepdown transformer or, you could have a dedicated high voltage outlet installed in your darkroom. Both options are likely less expensive than converting the enlarger, unless the conversion is as simple as a different lightbulb/socket. I'm not familiar with the Dicromat head.

Leigh
1-Mar-2013, 10:52
Don't worry about frequency. A unit designed for 50 Hz will work fine on 60 Hz (unless it uses the power line as a frequency standard for a timer or such).

You can just run it on our regular 240-volt AC power. All houses have 240-volt service standard.

- Leigh

boswald
1-Mar-2013, 12:23
What Leigh said. Other than plug differences, it's just like hooking up a dryer or stove(elec.of course).

Peter Lewin
1-Mar-2013, 13:45
You might try contacting http://www.odyssey-sales.co.uk/ who sell and service DeVere enlargers; they sell to the U.S. and will know what needs changing if you want to plug your enlarger into your normal house wiring. While Leigh is certainly correct that all houses have a 220 volt feed, finding a 220 volt receptacle in your home may not be easy, unless you are willing to have an electrician run a 220 volt line to your darkroom or wherever you plan on putting the enlarger. Incidentally I have, and love, my DeVere 504, but I installed a ZoneVI variable contrast head which circumvented the voltage issues. I wish I remembered how I ran the original cold light head when I first came back to the U.S. from England where I was working and bought the enlarger; I'm pretty sure I used a stepdown transformer as Mr. Van Hoegh suggests.