PDA

View Full Version : Bruce from Photobackpacker comes through!

drew.saunders
28-Feb-2013, 23:10
A couple weeks ago, I done did a dumb thing! :(

I closed my car's trunk lid on the receiver part of the belt buckle for my Photobackpacker Kelty P2 backpack.

I sent an email to Kelty asking if I could buy a replacement buckle, and didn't hear back for a couple days so on Monday the 25th, I sent a note to Bruce asking if I could buy the buckle from him, figuring it wouldn't be too difficult to remove some stitching, replace it, and re-stitch the strap. Bruce sent this instead, for free, which arrived today:

That's the whole belt assembly! No need to muck about with ripping stitches and sewing! Oh, Kelty did get back to me a bit later, too, but by then Bruce had offered to send a replacement belt.

That's service above and beyond anything I could have expected! I just wanted to thank Bruce in a public forum.

Drew

Lenny Eiger
1-Mar-2013, 10:19
Bruce is terrific. He doesn't put on any airs, doesn't act like a major company and keep you away. He's just a great guy, helpful to the max. I have bought a bunch of stuff from him and am happy to support him any time...

Lenny

kbrede
1-Mar-2013, 10:29
Is this the company you're referring to?

http://www.photobackpacker.com

Thanks,
Kent

drew.saunders
1-Mar-2013, 11:39
Is this the company you're referring to?

http://www.photobackpacker.com

Thanks,
Kent

Yes, I probably should have put in the URL in my first posting.

Drew

gnuyork
1-Mar-2013, 12:07
I have purchased a few things from Bruce, not a backpack, but a lens cases and camera case, that I can use to protect my gear while in my backpack. He was (and is) great to deal with, and I like his products.

ghoonk
23-Mar-2013, 14:09
Been thinking of one of these backpacks - i typically haul a Linhof 4x5 Super Technika V with a 150 (mounted in the body), a 90mm, a focusing loupe, dark cloth, 8 film holders, shutter release cable, Lee filter holder along with 12 filters (3 RNDs, 3 SEs, 3HEs, 6, 8 and 10-stop), and hopefully, a 47/58/65mm lens in a Domke bag and have been wondering how the Photobackpacker backpacks perform. Would love to hear your impressions - i shoot landscapes, so I need something to take the weight off my shoulders, but still offers good balance.

FWIW, Tamrac was similarly kind enough to replace a buckle that got crushed under the snow boot while I was shooting in Switzerland early last year.

Renato Tonelli
23-Mar-2013, 15:12
Bruce is terrific. He doesn't put on any airs, doesn't act like a major company and keep you away. He's just a great guy, helpful to the max. I have bought a bunch of stuff from him and am happy to support him any time...

Lenny

Well said.

Jacques-Mtl
23-Mar-2013, 15:19
I bought a backpack from Bruce and I am very happy. Before that I had a lowepro classic photo trekker and I feeling all the weight on my shoulders. I don't feel the same thing with the backpack from Bruce. With the backpack I carry a 4x5 field camera with 3 lenses (75, 150 and 210), spotmeter, filters, reading glasses... and the tripod on the side of the backpack and it is much easier than before. I can walk a lot longer than before. With the backpack I also bought the backer board, a case for the camera and a case for the senses. I am very happy with it. Jacques

36cm2
23-Mar-2013, 22:04
I have a backpack and other gear from Bruce; all top notch If every company in the world was run like his, customer service surveys would be rendered obsolete for lack of complaints. I wish him great continued success.

SergeiR
23-Mar-2013, 22:05
hmm.. may be i should actually take on that, as zipper on my 8x10 case has been dead for past 3 months... ;(

ghoonk
24-Mar-2013, 05:46
I bought a backpack from Bruce and I am very happy. Before that I had a lowepro classic photo trekker and I feeling all the weight on my shoulders. I don't feel the same thing with the backpack from Bruce. With the backpack I carry a 4x5 field camera with 3 lenses (75, 150 and 210), spotmeter, filters, reading glasses... and the tripod on the side of the backpack and it is much easier than before. I can walk a lot longer than before. With the backpack I also bought the backer board, a case for the camera and a case for the senses. I am very happy with it. Jacques

What's a backer board? I'd love to get one of these backpacks (my 'large'/'heavy' cameras are my H4D-40 and my Linhof - everything else is light) to spare my back. Also, how do I determine the correct lens case size for my lenses?

Jacques-Mtl
24-Mar-2013, 05:55
A backer board attaches to your backpack and allows the cluster of your lens cases and camera case to be positioned where you want them in the pack. You attached the different cases with velcro. You can look at those pictures.
http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RPT&Category_Code=RPT03
Jacques

ghoonk
24-Mar-2013, 05:58
A backer board attaches to your backpack and allows the cluster of your lens cases and camera case to be positioned where you want them in the pack. You attached the different cases with velcro. You can look at those pictures.
http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RPT&Category_Code=RPT03
Jacques

oh man, I so need one of those. Right, the Photobackpack is next on my list. i need to get rid of this Domke before it kills me. My Billingham has already replaced my Domke for toting the Leicas. Now I don't even need them.

Preston
24-Mar-2013, 09:21
I recently purchased a 4x5 Light Gear system from Bruce. The pack is very well made and carries wonderfully. (it replaces an old LowePro Nature Trekker). My camera case and lens cases (5 of these) attach snuggly to the 'backer board', and there is plenty of room for water, a snack or two, and my bits and pieces of filters, meter, etc. I also ordered the side pockets. At the moment, I have film holders for chrome in one pocket, and holders for color neg film in the other. I just ordered another lens case for my meter, GND's and Cokin holder.

I am very pleased with Bruce's products, and also with his attention to detail and customer service. Highly recommended!

--P

Photobackpacker
31-Mar-2013, 19:22
Sergei,

If it is one of my cases, please email me.

Bruce

Cletus
31-Mar-2013, 20:42
Just wanna kick in my 2 cents for Bruce's 8x10 Cascade film holder cases. I have two and stopped trying to find the 'perfect' 8x10 film holder carrying system the day they arrived. Excellent idea and excellent product, thanks Bruce!

SergeiR
2-Apr-2013, 06:24
Bruce, first of all - thank you for contacting me. I am once again seriously impressed - i didnt really expect you to monitor all threads as i completely forgot to look at this one :)
Secondly - i didnt really expect much of response, specially on such touchy subject as zippers (admittedly not something that you would have complete control over). So to get email and generous offer for help - oy..
Awesome support. Just awesome. I am already big fan of your products and that just impressed me even more.

Peter Lewin
14-Apr-2013, 11:56
Thought I would post yet one more free advertisement for Bruce's "4x5 cascade film-holder holder :). While I could have done this via pm, thought maybe the thought process might help someone else. When I originally saw the cascade holders mentioned here, I looked at the video on the photobackpacker site, said that's nice, but who needs it? I was using ziplock bags for my holders, which were lighter weight, and worked. But before a recent "Photographer's Retreat" weekend I decided to give it a try anyway. I was wrong, Bruce was right, the cascade holder simply makes shooting more convenient and faster (less running back to the pack for another holder, especially if you have moved around a bit with your tripod, and haven't moved your camera bag along with you every time). It is simply a well-thought out design, and I would recommend it to anyone. If I were to make one suggestion, and I am sure Bruce has his reasons for using Cordura nylon, I might be tempted to ask for the same design but in ripstop nylon, just to save some weight and bulk. But to repeat, I am very happy that I decided to buy one, it makes for an improvement in my "workflow" which more than compensates for the slight added weight versus my ziplock baggies.

tgtaylor
15-Apr-2013, 08:21
BBruce is a nice guy alright but so are some of the major players. Gregory sent me anew sternum strap when the one on my pack rotted after several years of use and Lowepro sent me a new Aw4 backpack (next one down from the largest) when the zipper on the previous model failed after several years of use. Both were without charge. All I had to do was to send Lowepro my old pack back.

Thomas

Photobackpacker
16-Apr-2013, 07:27
Thought I would post yet one more free advertisement for Bruce's "4x5 cascade film-holder holder :). While I could have done this via pm, thought maybe the thought process might help someone else. When I originally saw the cascade holders mentioned here, I looked at the video on the photobackpacker site, said that's nice, but who needs it? I was using ziplock bags for my holders, which were lighter weight, and worked. But before a recent "Photographer's Retreat" weekend I decided to give it a try anyway. I was wrong, Bruce was right, the cascade holder simply makes shooting more convenient and faster (less running back to the pack for another holder, especially if you have moved around a bit with your tripod, and haven't moved your camera bag along with you every time). It is simply a well-thought out design, and I would recommend it to anyone. If I were to make one suggestion, and I am sure Bruce has his reasons for using Cordura nylon, I might be tempted to ask for the same design but in ripstop nylon, just to save some weight and bulk. But to repeat, I am very happy that I decided to buy one, it makes for an improvement in my "workflow" which more than compensates for the slight added weight versus my ziplock baggies.

Hi Peter. I am please you find the Cascade FHC to be of value. Regarding the material used, it is actually polyester. Nylon and plastic rubbing together imparts a static charge that makes your film holder a dust magnet. Polyester has the opposite impact, tending to draw the static out of the film holder case. That is why I use Polyester on all of my backpacks and cases.

Bruce

jeroldharter
16-Apr-2013, 09:28

Lenny

+1