PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question, what side of neg to scan?

ryanmills
23-Feb-2013, 20:51
I really never thought about it and i'm not sure if it matters but when scanning negs, what side should be face down? Or does it even matter?

Heroique
23-Feb-2013, 20:59
I dry-mount (tape) the emulsion side on the mounting glass (on its etched underside), which sits above the scanner bed. My results are best this way, but it’s close to a negligible issue.

I think the forum is evenly divided on this one; the Betterscanning site shows base side on glass in one of their illustrations.

Pros & cons either way, depending on your equipment, methods, and belief system.

Ari
23-Feb-2013, 21:03
When I bought a Betterscanning holder, I asked Doug that very same question since he did not specify that in his instruction sheet.
He said either/or, one was as good as the other, it comes down to personal preference.
So, don't worry about it; you can do a brief test yourself and see if one or the other is more to your taste.

neil poulsen
24-Feb-2013, 10:22
I would not want the plastic base between the image and the scanner. So, I scan with the emulsion towards the scanner.

Leonard Evens
24-Feb-2013, 18:35
I don't think it much matters, but if the emulsion side is up, you will reverse left and right. Of course you can correct for that in the scanner settings.

Too Many Cameras
25-Feb-2013, 23:57
When I digitize images with my DSLR, I do it so it matches the way I took the image, which is through the plastic. I've tried both ways and even at 100% magnification with a 1:1 macro lens, I don't see an image-quality difference.

GG12
26-Feb-2013, 05:39
In the darkroom it was always emulsion:emulsion, and that seemed to make sense. If you keep the same logic on the scanner, its emulsion side down, so nothing between it and the scanner.

Terry Christian
26-Feb-2013, 06:28
My experience is that it doesn't matter, but I scan emulsion side up. If I'm scanning 35mm or 120 that has a tight curl so that I get Newton's rings, I flip it over to emulsion side down to scan and then fix the orientation in post.