PDA

View Full Version : Autoknips self timers

Noah B
14-Feb-2013, 21:25
Hey, you guys had any experience with the Autoknips self timers? I've been looking at a few to use with my 5x7 but can't quite figure which model would be best.

Oren Grad
15-Feb-2013, 09:08
I've never been able to get one to work reliably. It may be that I have bad samples or that I'm not setting it up right, so I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who's been able to get them to work well with view camera lenses/shutters.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
15-Feb-2013, 09:17
I have one I use occasionally. When I take the time to read the instructions (horribly translated from German) and set it up correctly it works without flaw, but I often don't have the patience to do so. It also only works with cable releases that have small collars (or whatever you call that thing just below the plunger which you hold between index and middle finger), which are usually the cheap ones. I don't know what model it is but I can check this weekend.

Nathan Potter
15-Feb-2013, 09:20
I still use a couple from the 1970s that have always worked well. I don't use them on LF lenses because I worry about a bit of vibration from the unwinding internal spring. Also the plunger is not long enough for a few of the LF lenses that I once used.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Shootar401
15-Feb-2013, 14:50
I have a few of the Kopil self timers and they are adjustable for plunger length I have one set for my LF lenses and one for my RZ which needs a little less "plunge". Unfortunately they are not powerful enough to trip my 4x5 or 5x7 Speed Graphic shutters.

Oren Grad
15-Feb-2013, 15:57
Just to be clear, my comment was about the type that hooks on to a cable release and pushes the plunger on the cable release, rather than screwing directly into the socket on a shutter. But then, I haven't had much luck with the latter type either, on modern Copal shutters.

For those who aren't familiar with Autoknips:

http://www.submin.com/general/collection/accessories/autoknips.htm

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
15-Feb-2013, 16:08
Thanks for the link Oren. For what it is worth, I use a Model II, which works fine with my Copal shutters. I haven't tried it with anything else.

Bill Burk
15-Feb-2013, 22:30
And, being a Kodak guy, I use the Kodak Auto-Release which could trip a horse.

polyglot
16-Feb-2013, 04:49
I have one that runs reliably... but it doesn't fit any of the release cables I own!

Thebes
16-Feb-2013, 13:35
I have an AutoKnips II.
It a cute little gizmo, and surprisingly complex.
I have used it pretty reliably with several copals, a syncro-compur, two prontor presses, an Ilex 4, and my RB67.
I have had a few missed takes due to user error, and I only use some release cables with it, but I can't recall a normal-cable shutter I own that it hasn't worked with after some trial and error.

Noah B
16-Feb-2013, 14:50
I just picked up an Autoknips II myself, does anyone have a link to english instructions?

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
16-Feb-2013, 16:36
Here is a scan of the instructions, and a link to the full sized image. (https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Man-_LQXg7psVpkO4Pix_kSUgDkAg0KAaOO5c0T4Wfg?feat=directlink)

Noah B
17-Feb-2013, 13:16
Thanks Jason!