PDA

View Full Version : Is Rollei CR-200 slide film aka Aviphot Chrome 200 sliide film "Yellow"

alpenhause
13-Feb-2013, 14:13
Has anyone used the Rollei branded 200 ASA slide film in 120 or 35mm and the resulting slides have a strong yellow cast? I am referring to the film having been processed in E-6 for slides

This film is repackaged Afga Belgium Aviphot Chrome 200 and is also marketed as Lomographic X-Pro 200.

Please bear in mind there were no errors in the E-6 process at my lab, the Ektachrome and Fujichrome rolls processed at the same time and batch look perfect.

Are the fine folks at Macodirect.de, Freestylephoto.biz just blatantly selling film with a weird strong yellow cast when processed in E-6?

None of them are answering my questions about the yellow cast in this film, I wonder why?

Oh! They say it is Agfa RSX 200 slide film on a different base! Yeah right......

Emmanuel BIGLER
14-Feb-2013, 04:26
Hello from France
Yes, I've experienced this film under the brand CR-200 and I got the yellow cast.
I have had RSX-200 slides exposed and processed in similar conditions and results were very different. So at least for the batch of 120 rolls I have, made in Belgium, Rollei CR-200 is not RSX-200.
My understanding is that, as an aerial film, it should be balanced for color temperatures well above 5500K, hence it is like if there was a built-in yellow filter.
For landscape shots in summer I've found that a blueish 82B (= KB 1,5) correcting fliter (= "morning and eve' correcting filter) delivers acceptable results, but for winter scenes, mays be a stronger 82B fiilter (=KB3) or another combination to be determined would be better.
Here a scan from a 6x6 slide (6x6 = formats prohibited here, sorry) ; taken near Besançon, France, in summer, in the afernoon, filter is a KB1,5 ; no corrections applied to the scan.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43175600@N00/6322907261/sizes/l/in/photostream/

alpenhause
14-Feb-2013, 11:49
Hello from France
Yes, I've experienced this film under the brand CR-200 and I got the yellow cast.
I have had RSX-200 slides exposed and processed in similar conditions and results were very different. So at least for the batch of 120 rolls I have, made in Belgium, Rollei CR-200 is not RSX-200.
My understanding is that, as an aerial film, it should be balanced for color temperatures well above 5500K, hence it is like if there was a built-in yellow filter.
For landscape shots in summer I've found that a blueish 82B (= KB 1,5) correcting fliter (= "morning and eve' correcting filter) delivers acceptable results, but for winter scenes, mays be a stronger 82B fiilter (=KB3) or another combination to be determined would be better.
Here a scan from a 6x6 slide (6x6 = formats prohibited here, sorry) ; taken near Besançon, France, in summer, in the afernoon, filter is a KB1,5 ; no corrections applied to the scan.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43175600@N00/6322907261/sizes/l/in/photostream/

That photo looks quite good, more like what older Agfachrome looks like, I am going to scan a few of my slides and people will really see the extent of this yellow problem.

alpenhause
14-Feb-2013, 13:13
Here are the scans of the "Yellow" CR-200, I don't know how to use this stupid scanner but you get the idea of the screwed up colors.
Pictures shot in Joshua Tree National Park

alpenhause
28-Feb-2013, 15:08
No one else tried CR-200? aka Piss-A-Chrome? LOL

Nathan Potter
28-Feb-2013, 15:47
Emmanuals' Besancon image shot with a KB1.5 filter look very much like older Agfachrome that I shot in the 1950s'. Has a definite but delicate magenta cast so can be easily corrected using CC filters or Photoshop ( I've done both recently on 50 year old Agfachrome shot in Sicily and Libya.

Hard to believe that without filtration as shown one could pull the color as much as Emmanual has achieved.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

polyglot
1-Mar-2013, 16:13
You had this whinge already on APUG. Yes, it can be yellow... but last I checked, it's not an LF film.

alpenhause
7-Mar-2013, 17:20
I have found a shop in Germany that has the Agfa Aviphot 200 Chrome film for sale in 100' rolls that they apparently have purchased directly from Agfa Belgium and have packaged the film for sale.

I have sent an email to service@wittner-cinetec.com to inquire on the film's freshness and whether or not the film they sell is "Yellow".

I am thinking the Rollei branded CR-200 film is old, and has been frozen and thawed out too many times, all the while the vendors that sell this film sit there and say nothing is wrong with the film! Agfa's own literature says the film is NEUTRAL color balanced, balanced for 5500K.

I will see what http://www.wittner-cinetec.com/home.php people have to say about the slide film they package and sell.

Let's see what happens! This is totally a load of Garbage that Rollei would knowingly sell this film in its screwed up form! There are just way too many reports on the internet of this film sold by Rollei being "Yellow"!

Just why in the Hell should we photographers sit there in denial about a screwed up film being sold as being "Normal"!

Look at the Agfa PDF about this film! It says NEUTRAL color rendering, 5500K color balance!

Stand up and be counted! there is no excuse to be selling screwed up film!

alpenhause
7-Mar-2013, 17:38
Hey Folks, look at this URL

Look at the results Wittner Cinetec is gettting out of the Aviphot 200 chrome film in Super-8 and 16mm formats, look at the color rendition! looks like Agfachrome RSX 200 to me, No ugly yellow cast!

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?ref=SERP&br=ro&mkt=en-US&dl=en&lp=DE_EN&a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.wittner-kinotechnik.com%2fneu%2fnews2013.php

alpenhause
11-Mar-2013, 10:30
Here is the follow-Up, I had inquired to Wittner-Cinetec in Germany, They Have assured me that their Aviphot Chrome 200 color slide film is not yellow, here is the email they sent to me:

Dear Mr. Icanberry,

thank you for your message.

Here you will find some sample pictures of our batch
http://www.wittner-cinetec.com/neu/news2013.php

The are NOT color corrected!

Emulsion No. is 6782.16, currently the same for Super 8 and 35mm still film (same wide roll).

I do not know what could cause this yellow colour cast, which you have experienced.
But our batch does not show this problem obviously.

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact me again.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Best regards

Ingolf Joost
Wittner Cinetec GmbH & Co. KG
Beaulieu Deutschland
Posso Deutschland
www.wittner-cinetec.com
www.posso-germany.com
www.beaulieu.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ammersbek. Amtsgericht Lübeck HRA 4657 HL.
Komplementärin/Geschäftsführung: Wittner Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH,
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ammersbek. Amtsgericht Lübeck HRB 6527 HL.
Geschäftsführer der Wittner Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH: Daniel Wittner

Roger Cole
11-Mar-2013, 12:02
You had this whinge already on APUG. Yes, it can be yellow... but last I checked, it's not an LF film.

What's a whinge? Anything like a whine?

alpenhause
11-Mar-2013, 12:14
A Whinge? You got to speak Australian to figure that one out.........

Roger Cole
11-Mar-2013, 12:41
But still he has a point - the film is not, so far as I know, available in large formats which means questions about it belong in the Lounge.

alpenhause
11-Mar-2013, 12:59
Just because this is a forum for LF would that mean forum members have no interest in 35mm and 120 film?

alpenhause
13-Mar-2013, 20:33
The order is in! A 100 foot roll has been ordered from Wittner-Cinetech
Time to see what develops! no pun intended

Shootar401
21-Mar-2013, 16:01
I've used the CR200 to shoot a model against a white seamless backdrop and the entire roll looked like it was shot through a yellow filter. The first and only time I shoot CR200.

alpenhause
22-Mar-2013, 23:41
Hey people! Look at this: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/116898-aviphot-chrome-200-slide-film-test-results.html

One can possibly draw conclusions over this drama, perhaps the vendors of Rollei/Maco CR-200 are indeed selling us bad film?

Don't you just love it when your are sold bad film and those that sell it are in denial?

It looks like Agfa Belgium does indeed make good slide film after all.

alpenhause
30-Mar-2013, 17:27
Shot a test roll today, it's off to the E-6 lab, let's see how it turns out......

alpenhause
26-May-2013, 22:18
Hi everybody!

The results are finally in!

I packaged my 100 foot roll of Agfa Aviphot 200 E-6 color slide film 35mm, I got 20 36 exposure rolls with lots of frames leading and trailing to take care of the fiber optic type "Light Piping" characteristic of Agfa's Polyester base films.

The two test rolls shot look absolutely wonderful! Just like the former Agfa RSX II 200 slide film, with just a touch of warmth bias charateristic of the much beloved Agfa slide films, I am not seeing any grain per se, just great color slide film with excellent color rendition.

Shame on Maco.de for packaging rotten damaged yellow color slide film from AGFA! Shame on the folks at Lomography for packaging and selling rotten yellow damaged color film from Agfa!
Shame on all the other vendors that are in "Denial" about selling Rollei CR-200 and Lomography X-pro 200 as being a neutral color rendering slide film! I would say Freestyle Photo in Hollywood is one of the most in denial about their "Yellow" Rollei CR-200 slide film, But Oh! they will give you a refund if you are not satisfied! Really useful after spending 10 bucks to get this bad roll developed! Really helpful!

Wittner-Cinetec in Germany who has packaged FRESH, not old crappy yellow Agfa Aviphot 200 Chrome E-6 slide film from Agfa Belgium in 35mm X 100 foot rolls is a true hero for those of us that crave real and fresh AGFA RSX II 200 ASA color slide film.

This film looks absolutely fabulous! I had mine processed by a local lab that does E-6 with the Refrema "Dip and Dunk" system.

Perhaps we could get Wittner-Cinetec to cut and roll us some 120 film? Meanwhile if you want 120 film you can get "Puke Yellow" agfa slide film from Maco/Rollei or the Lomography people, Bleah!